This is from AB195 !!!!

Track Chacing Friends–

Can’t get this up to the real forum, darn computer.(help, Jane)
ME TRAVELING

• this Thurs. nite–way up north

Winchester Speedway, for the Original Thurs. Night Thunder Series, featuring the USAC Sprint Cars, USA Modifieds, and Roadsters.

Fri. Nite–Toledo Speedway for the ISMA Supermodifieds and the AVSS Sprint Cars.

Sat Afternoon-Baer Field Speedway in Fort Wayne, for the HOSS Sprints and a reg. show, and after that about 915PM–

Angola Motor Speedway, for the Stan Perry Memorial Outlaw Super-Late Model 125, plus support classes.

4 Tracks in 3 days, Track Chasing is in full swing.(at least for me)

(if anyone can help me pop this thread up on the big board, do so.)

thanx for the help, girlfrield!
Roger

:wink:

anytime boyfriend… :wink: miss ya…
carol aka OZ

Rog… I have you camera at my office… Call me 407-428-9328

Yes, it was Great-

Midwestern Track Chasing—
Winchester Speedway on Thurs Nite. with the USAC Sprints, USA Mods, and Roadsters. Po-Dunking down Amish Country in nowheresville USA, be-bopping along all the little Bumpkin’ towns–and there it was-- a huge sight to see out in the middle of a green oasis, surrounded by trees, the highest banked track in the USA (next to Salem).
Packed house, no haulers or trucks allowed in the infield; even the easy-up sun tents came down at start time. It was light until almost 9:45 PM., then the lights came on. Heats and Features on the Hills, or banks. Friendly folks in the stands, they were, lots of cigarette smokers up there, it had seemed. The action on the Track was the best I’d seen in my life, hands down.
Friday Nite At Toledo Speedway; what a great 1/2 miler it was; wide turns, high banks, and subsequently short straightaways. Magnificent Grandstands, even a 24/hr Bar and Grille at the 4th turn. Killed a few hours by playing a round of golf at Daetweiller CC, and at 6 PM, rain had called the action for the ISMA Supermods and AVSS Sprints—so I scooted over to catch a Toledo Mudhens Triple AAA Baseball game, it was a blast, and not a rain-out.
Sat. Afternoon at Fort Wayne, Baer Field for the practice sessions of the HOSS Sprints, and support classes, and then to…
Angola Motor Speedway in Steuben County, again po-dunking along all these country roads, sleepy little Amish/ Mayberry RFD Towns, enjoying the trip, not knowing where the hell I was at–finally found it—another Palace in the middle of knowhere, surrounded by green-green corn fields, a huge cement and asphalt and aluminumn structure that was calling me. The Outlaw Superlates on Asphalt are a sight for sore, Florida eyes (that’s another story).
28 Outlaw/Wedged Super Sleds, bad-ass fast and slicker than snot.
This is what I’m talkin’ about, this is the style of car they run up here, and I was just shaking my head, actually couldn’t believe I was there, at the moment. Said Hi to a few folks, announcer stuck his micro-phone in my face, said a few words–“Orlando Fla–track chasing-bla bla bla-great track, cars, machines, facility bla bla bla”
Great time it was, yessirree. I wish I had the time and $$ to do this po-dunkin’ track chasing more often.
Side note, however, it really nice to see what a great country/ massive country with unique backgrounds, and History we have ,as I travled, and the tons of Folks that I had buddied/chummed up with up in the Midwest are far more than happy to share their background and history with any and all that might inquire. I had a memorable time, and I want to do more of this.

wow…

i am jealous! sounds like you are having a wonderful time. thats great… keep having fun and be safe… miss ya
carol aka OZ

Ok Ok…

How Midwestern are you going… Are you headed over to Slinger This year…

Casin’ Racin’—

No, not Wis. this year, but I hear they pack the pits and stands all over, all the time.
If anyone out there needs to take a little road trip to chase Raceways, even though you can’t actually be there, Randy Lewis is the best Track Chaser out there, and he documents his every move; his flights, track food, concession stands, bathrooms, grandstands, local folks, the pits, the ticket booths, the pressbox, the lighting and sound systems, the entire tracks, and the Race Cars/Divisions–along with a recap on every detail---ranlayracing.com will get you there.
I also track old minor league ballparks to catch a game, as they actually will play in the raindrops, and a visit to ballparkdigest.com will get you there.

A slight vacation away on the internet, pictures and stories and all, if you desire. Check it out for a spell, if you can’t support your local Raceway tonight, or Ballpark.

Hey AB…

That is too bad… I used to run at Slinger once in a while… I lived North of there… It always was an awesome time both in the pits, on the track, and on the Grandstand side…

Where else you headed, I may know of some more tracks for you to go too… Both up there heading down here…

Enjoy…

Duane

AB195 is already back from Indiana, and gave a glowing report of what he had seen up there. He has SEEN the light.

He reported full fields of cars, several thousands of fans in the grandstands, the need to park almost a mile from the track just to get in… even on a THURSDAY night… all for $10 a head.

We can’t get thousands of fans for anything other than Crash-A-Rama garbage.

Nobody down here likes to hear how they do things “up North”, at least without an offer to head back there ourselves. But the FACT is that there are plenty of racetracks all over the U.S. that aren’t hurting nearly as bad as we are here in Florida… and it’s NOT the economies fault either. It’s no better in Indiana (or NY, or Mass, or Wis., or Iowa) than it is here.

It’s time the Promoters around here start delivering a product that is consistant with the price of admission. A Sunbelt race for $30 at Lakeland, or $20 for a 100 lap Truck race is lousy value for the dollar. Sure it takes a lot of money to open the gates, but if these were $10-12 shows, a lot more people could afford to have their asses parked at your tracks instead of at the movies, bowling, or a restaurant.

My girlfriend and I were considering the ASA race at New Smyrna this weekend (she’s a Brandon Johnson fan), but with us 2, my son, her 2 kids, and her daughters friend, we are looking at a bill of $100.00 just to get in. Sorry… can’t do it. We’ll either be home, or at the Springs or something we can do a hell of a lot cheaper. Wouldn’t it make more sense to have $50-60, and 6 people eating and drinking instead of $0.00 dollars at both the ticket booth and the concession stands? Not picking on NSS here, as this show probably does have better value for the dollar than most weeks. It’s just an overall observation.

Instead of raising prices to make up for the shortage of people that do come, try making it more affordable to more people. If you can create a reputation as a place to spend a Saturday night for cheap, get a lot of entertainment, and not have to mortgage the double-wide just to go, you might create a bigger following on both sides of the fence.

What’s being tried here isn’t working, and it’s not all the Promoters fault either. Ugly racecars, greedy tire and fuel suppliers, spineless offficials, rules discrepancies, favoritism on track and in the tech line… all add up to unhappy people on both sides. We all have a part in making things better, and it has to start soon, or our sport is toast.

Morning Frasson…

[QUOTE=Frasson118;10561]AB195 is already back from Indiana, and gave a glowing report of what he had seen up there. He has SEEN the light.

He reported full fields of cars, several thousands of fans in the grandstands, the need to park almost a mile from the track just to get in… even on a THURSDAY night… all for $10 a head.

We can’t get thousands of fans for anything other than Crash-A-Rama garbage.

Nobody down here likes to hear how they do things “up North”, at least without an offer to head back there ourselves. But the FACT is that there are plenty of racetracks all over the U.S. that aren’t hurting nearly as bad as we are here in Florida… and it’s NOT the economies fault either. It’s no better in Indiana (or NY, or Mass, or Wis., or Iowa) than it is here.

It’s time the Promoters around here start delivering a product that is consistant with the price of admission. A Sunbelt race for $30 at Lakeland, or $20 for a 100 lap Truck race is lousy value for the dollar. Sure it takes a lot of money to open the gates, but if these were $10-12 shows, a lot more people could afford to have their asses parked at your tracks instead of at the movies, bowling, or a restaurant.

My girlfriend and I were considering the ASA race at New Smyrna this weekend (she’s a Brandon Johnson fan), but with us 2, my son, her 2 kids, and her daughters friend, we are looking at a bill of $100.00 just to get in. Sorry… can’t do it. We’ll either be home, or at the Springs or something we can do a hell of a lot cheaper. Wouldn’t it make more sense to have $50-60, and 6 people eating and drinking instead of $0.00 dollars at both the ticket booth and the concession stands? Not picking on NSS here, as this show probably does have better value for the dollar than most weeks. It’s just an overall observation.

Instead of raising prices to make up for the shortage of people that do come, try making it more affordable to more people. If you can create a reputation as a place to spend a Saturday night for cheap, get a lot of entertainment, and not have to mortgage the double-wide just to go, you might create a bigger following on both sides of the fence.

What’s being tried here isn’t working, and it’s not all the Promoters fault either. Ugly racecars, greedy tire and fuel suppliers, spineless offficials, rules discrepancies, favoritism on track and in the tech line… all add up to unhappy people on both sides. We all have a part in making things better, and it has to start soon, or our sport is toast.[/QUOTE]

I guess I am a diehard race supporter no matter what the tracks do… So First of all, how old are the kids… I am almost positive NSS has a childs price and some of the kids are free… Since I don’t have any kids in the house, I am not sure… I have to agree with you about “inspiring” the fans to come out… I am from the Midwest and I can’t remember too many nights as both a driver and as a fan that the fans weren’t there and the cars weren’t there… I really hope you come out… WE as Fans and drivers can’t give up or we will all lose out…

Duane

digging somewhat–

Old thread, I know, but…
When I’m long long away, and rubbing elbows with the locals, asking about their travels, and telling them about mine, I always get asked,

“you actually went on a vacation to come to a Racetrack?” “Or Ballbark?”

You bet, gosh darn it, and it’s not always the destination, but the road to it that is most fun.
Tons of stories, I have, about getting to where I’m currenly at, and the things that I have seen and witnessed.

I agree Roger. Sometimes the journey is much more fun than the destination. For example, the only time I ever saw a Nascar race at Michigan Int’l.

The trip there and back included a day at 6-Flags over Georgia, 2 different stops to party in Atlanta, 2 stops in Nashville, a Stevie Ray Vaughn/Joe Cocker concert and 3 days at the races. The races were the low point, after almost constant rain and 3 days of a stomach virus. Not to mention after a see-saw battle all day, my least favorite driver (Earnhardt) beat my all-time favorite driver (Ernie Irvan) right near the end. It didn’t make the trip home any more pleasant… but the journey itself is one I’ll never forget.

And like Roger said, dozens of people asked “you came all the way from Florida just for this race?”

And by the way, only 3 days after returning, I was in the infield at Daytona for another race!

Slinger Nationals July 15

I plan to be there on the 15th, missed out 3 years ago when the remnents of Dennis washed it out. I used to go there when it was a 5th mile dirt track when I was a teenager. I will be wearing one of my Dick Trickle tee shirts and my DeSoto speedway hat. Don