Another Photo...

Who is in the picture and when/where was it taken?? The #5 is not who you think!!

Rick Coffin

The 5 is Daniel Keene 66 is rusty

No the #5 is NOT Daniel Keene… Let’s see if anybody remembers who drove it in this race at Desoto…

I’m thinking Gary Balough.

I also believe Donnie Strickland drove this car a time or two, which they returned the favor to have Daniel drive their #57 a couple of times.

Keene won an All-Pro race at Hialeah driving for the Stricklands.

OK, I’ll give you a hint… He was a big NASCAR star at the time and unfortunately is no longer with us…

Neil Bonnett?

Rick Coffin

Leroy Porter drove a back up car at desoto. what track is this at

Tripper got it… Neil Bonnett… 1987 I believe…

I also believe Donnie Strickland drove this car a time or two, which they returned the favor to have Daniel drive their #57 a couple of times.

Keene won an All-Pro race at Hialeah driving for the Stricklands.
1988…and I was so THERE! I was the scorer for the 5 car at Hialeah that night, and Bigley and someone else (I forget who) ended up on top of each other just past the backstretch pit gate. Even got my picture took in Victory lane with that car (I believe we were running a Lumina at that time). That would be the very last time I was at Hialeah.

Please keep posting the old pictures… These threads have become my favorite thing to look for on Karnac!

Thanks for sharing. :aktion033:

That was my one and only trip to Hialeah. It was a double-header weekend, and I missed most of the first night. Since I was so late, I asked the dude at the gate if I could maybe do a half-price deal, since the show was almost over anyways. He agreed, and I handed him a $10. As I walked away, I turned back around to ask him a question, and saw him slip that bill right into his pocket. We had that 1/2 second glance, and a deer caught in the headlights look, when he knew I caught him pocketing the tracks money. Of course I said nothing, but we both knew he had been caught!

I recall that Keene won one of the nights, but can’t remember who won the other, although for some reason I was thinking that maybe he won both races.

Jimmy, I’m sure you could help straighten out my memory lapse on this one.

let’s not forget

daniel keene was quite a racer back in day but he had a brother that lost his life at gas station some years ago that was a super racer also won many races at golden gate think his name was eddie keene # 5 tornado

I recall that Keene won one of the nights, but can’t remember who won the other
We finished eighth on Friday night in the 100-lapper, which put us on the pole for the 200-lapper on Saturday night. Led that thing start to finish, even pitting for fuel and two tires about halfway through. :wink: I don’t remember who won Friday night; it may have been Anderson.