David Odell wins ASA Late Model in shortened race after rains come in

The Sunny skies turned to spitting rain, track officials worked to dry the track and were able to get in the local features. The ASA Late Model Series was able to complete 50 laps for an official finish of the ?Cotton Picken? 100 before the rain started again. The 8 Chris Dilbeck lead the 1st 15 laps until the 75 David Odell took over the lead. The event had four cautions with the final caution putting the track under red when Jessica Murphy blew a tire and slammed into the wall in turn three. Within a few minutes of the caution the rains started to come down again and the race was made official at lap 50. The 75 of David Odell took his 1st win of the season helping him in the point?s run with just one event to go.

Unofficial Results

1. 75 ? David Odell 50
  2. 15 ? Colt James 50
  3. 88 ? Justin Larson 50
  4. 59 ? Dustin Dunn 50
  5. 86 ? Jimmy Lang 50
  6. 3 ? Blake Lehr 50
  7. 8 ? Chris Dilbeck 50
  8. 57 ? Chad Pierce 50
  9. 1- Bobby East 50
  10. 188 ? Will Hannah 50
  11. 70 ? Jeremy Gerstner 50
  12. 26 ? Jessica Murphy 50
  13. 51 ? Steven Nasse 50
  14. 78 ? John Gerstner 50
  15. 9 ? Kurt Jett 31
  16. 09 ? Bob Varney 3

I would like to know if anybody has heard anything about Jessica. I am pretty sure that she was transported to the hospital. She had a very hard and scary hit to the end of wall at the backstretch gate opening. We hope she is doing well.

Andrew Dunn

Yea, that was scary. The way they cancelled the race, I thought (God forbid), it may have been a fatal crash. The rain was a short slow mist at best and it was’nt even raining as I left the track. Maybe the fact that there were only 100 people in the grandstands aided in the decision.

I haven’t talked to Jessica or family directly, but I was told that after being checked out in Atlanta she has some sprained fingers and a dislocated/ sprained shoulder. Considering what the car looked like afterward, things could have been much worse. Obvoiusly safety equipment did its job and luckily the car absorbed most of the damage.

I was also concerned because of the quick ending and lack of explanation to fans, if rain was the real reason and not the crash I think they jumped the gun. On the other hand, not knowing the injuries at the time may have led them to err on the side of caution.

I would like to thank everyone for your concerns. I?m home and doing fine, just a couple bumps and bruises. We are working on the car and hoping to be done by this weekend. I hope to see you all at Charlotte County Motorsports Park in Punta Gorda. Once again thank you for your concerns!

For all my fans!!!

I would like to thank everyone for your concerns. I?m home and doing fine, just a couple bumps and bruises. We are working on the car and hoping to be done by this weekend. I hope to see you all at Charlotte County Motorsports Park in Punta Gorda. Once again thank you for your concerns!