Original ASA Late Model Icebreaker at DSS

Desoto Super Speedway announces that it will be hosting the Original ASA Late Model Icebreaker over the weekend of February 27th and 29th. The Original ASA will have the house a rockin and the fans on the edge of their seats. The pay out of $600 to Start and $3,500 to Win is just the beginning. Practice will begin at 9 A.M. Friday the 27th and the 100 lap feature race on Saturday the 28th. The gates will open at 5 P.M. with racing beginning at 7 P.M. on Saturday. Also racing will be Pure Stocks, Street Stocks, Modified Mini’s 50 lap feature, Magic 4’s and Fast Mini Cups. For more information contact us at 941-748-3171 or visit our website at www.desotosuperspeedway.com. We are located just 9 miles east on State Road 64 in Bradenton.

Event names

A classic example of how things never change…
DSS has had a history of using the events names from New England. And this speedway usually jabs at guys from up north and trying to bring ideas down here to Florida: if I was Stafford or Thompson speedway:i’d be calling you out!
Way to go marketing genius you are…
Ice Breaker etc. etc. etc.
So just use them all:
Spring Sizzler
Fall Final
Ice Breaker
Summer ShootOut (NC)
OctoberFest
World Series
How about just putting on a show…

The “Icebreaker” has been run at Desoto since the early 80’s FYI
Genius!!!

Hey Rick

Don’t you have some Auto Parts to deliver (or something equally important). LOL

Round D’ Round Racer
So. Ga (and dang proud of it SON)

[QUOTE=Rick Anges;22258]The “Icebreaker” has been run at Desoto since the early 80’s FYI
Genius!!!
[/QUOTE]

Hey Rick,
The Thompson Ice Breaker has been named that since 1967 being the first Modified event of the year!

Einstein!!!

Hey Rick,
The Thompson Ice Breaker has been named that since 1967 being the first Modified event of the year!

Einstein!!!

I was just pointing out that the current staff did not just come up with the name. It has been the opening Late Model race at Desoto for many years.

Round D' Round Racer Hey Rick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't you have some Auto Parts to deliver (or something equally important). LOL

Round D' Round Racer
So. Ga (and dang proud of it SON)  

What does that mean “SON”?

Rick

Well, it surly doesn’t mean you are MY SON god forbid, cause I have seen your picture from NSS - you were standing my another guy (who was alot better lookin than you btw).

Round D’ Round Racer
So. Ga (Where men bring home the check and women take care of the house n’ kids)

Not what I was asking about but thats ok Bubby…

Rick, this has been going on for sometime. He points it out and you jump em kind a and call him a Genius. Guess he is. Hangover race on New Years day came from Sandusky Speedway in Ohio. Many use that name now. Funny, you all in the South do hate North people. You think we have no idea. We know nothing and you all have come up with it. But yet North idea’s are used and you all say “hey look what I came up with.” Its going on just a tad bit north of Fla. as we speak.

Why in the hell would ASA return there in the first place? I thought King John showed his true colors by shoving a woman around last time they were in town, and they decided to load up and leave, rather than patronize this illustrious leader.

Then again, with 17 different versions of “ASA” racing, who knows if there is any connection at all with the other group.

Hi Jerry, I am 99 percent sure that this is the ASA RC Cola/Moon Pie Series. They brought a ton of cars, promotion and fans to their gig at Lanier in the fall. From what I saw, a very well run organization and a lot of asphalt heavy hitters follow this tour.

The ASA southern division has its opening race at CCMP 3/14 I think it is. Maybe its one of the northern divisions. I don’t think it was the one that was there before. Oh by the way you northerners, we red necks do come up with sumthin sum times. When we release one of them straps on our overalls we can think sum. At Auburndale last week the World figue 8 tour was there and michael Cherry Whopped a mess of them Yankees. He Got 2nd in the 100 lapper but ther was a lot of them hi doler northern cars behind him. Bob…

Hey Chris

A classic example of how things never change....
DSS has had a history of using the events names from New England. 

Way to go marketing genius you are.........
Originally Posted by Rick Anges  
The "Icebreaker" has been run at Desoto since the early 80's FYI
Genius!!!

[B][I]I wasn’t jumping on anyone I was just pointing out that this has been run long before the current owners of Desoto were in place. I was just throwing the genius part in…tit 4 tat LOL

BTW I was born in NJ and cut my teeth at Middletown (Orange County) NY[/I][/B]

It was the “Icebreaker” at Thompson; it’s been the Icebreaker 125 at DeSoto for many years as well - or at least, it was the Icebreaker 125. That race used to be run in January, I believe. It was run before Speedweeks originally in the '80s when it was first held at DeSoto, if I recall.

And the “original” ASA Late Model series? Don’t think so. How many cars from out of state will show? How many “big names” will be there? Trickle, Shear, Miller, Martin, Wallace, Fair, Burgess…that was the “original” ASA Series in my opinion.

Jimmy I couldn’t agree more. ASA USED to be a good fun race. It was a true breeding ground to the big time. Steve Dale took care of that. No offense but both ASA groups now have basical become overated overpaid late model races. My opinion take the same purse and run a open show or a CRA show and you’ll have a better bang for the buck. ASA was a breeding ground for Hooters or ARCA. Not even seeing alot of that now.

I don’t care, if it has 20 or more cars I’ll be happy. Desoto has the ASA Southeast that we saw last May at Lakeland won by Tim Russell in a slm with added weight.

But seriously people. ICEBREAKER? When was the last time “that” happened in Desoto??? How about some truth in advertisement here??? Let’s call it what it really is. Let’s call it the " I THINK IT GOT COOL ENOUGH LAST NIGHT TO STOP THE MOSQUITOES 125"…PLUS…it’s original.

It’s ironic how John had the “other” series scheduled only 14 months ago… guess he thought that was the better series then, until he shoved a woman official to the ground (“I was only trying to get her attention…”) :anim_buttkick:

Now, he wants us to get excited about the “Original” ASA Series???

I was a fan of Desoto Super Speedway long before John arrived, and I’ll be a fan after he is gone. Until then, it’s just sad to see how he has run that facility into the ground.

Nobody was in the stands last night at DSS. There were less than 150 people in the front gate. If John tells anyone otherwise, buy the race video, put it on slow motion and start counting… it won’t take long. Unless the TBARA or figure 8 school buses are there, noone comes anymore. And even then, it’s a ghost of what it used to be.

One good note though… the track officials that John has hired this year (the guy at the pit gate, and the guy working the turn three opening) were by far, the nicest people he’s had in those positions. The staff at DSS have historically been the nastiest, most vulgar people at any tracks I race at. Those two guys were professional, and patient.

[QUOTE=OSF;22259]Don’t you have some Auto Parts to deliver (or something equally important). LOL

Round D’ Round Racer
So. Ga (and dang proud of it SON)[/QUOTE]

Me thinks everyone missed something interesting about the post of OSF above.
It is signed by Round D’ Round Racer… Da cat is out of da bag old chosen one…
Hitting too much sauce last night ?? Do you have a house guest from So. Ga.??
–JIM—:ernaehrung004:

YEP, as a matter of fact

I do have a house guest from So. Ga.

Its a 20 year old nurse (aka - Round D’ Round Racer)

AND, after she sat (you know where), I guessed her weight at 107 pounds.
Don’t you wish you were here now?

And you thought you were onto something big. Too bad - So sad

It was the nurse that was onto something big. Ha Ha Ha

She’s going home later tonight (after the cup race)

OSF: :ernaehrung004: :ernaehrung004: :ernaehrung004: