Track Casing in The Midwest 2009--

Leaving you guys in my jet wake tomorrow.
Going to the great State of Wisconsin.
Flying into Rockford, Illinois, and shooting straight up to…

A) Wisconsin Int’l Speedway for their regular Thursday night show in Kaukaune, a big old 1/2 miler asphalt oval…and it’s their regular night of racing, Thursday night. Too cool.

B) Friday night at Madison Int’l Raceway in Oregon, another high-banked asphalt oval for their regular show.

C) Sat. night I have a wedding to attend to, but it would be Rockford Speedway all the way if not for that.

D) Sunday night at the one and only Slinger Super Speedway, a tight 1/4 mile high-banked aspahlt oval for their regular show, hoping to see Bickle, Trickle, and Holtzhousen, and almost 40 late models for another of their really great Sunday night shows.

E) A minor-league Basball game on Monday night in Rockford, or somewhere else to top this whole thing off. Minor League Baseball is always a favorite of mine.

The big Powell Race in Ocala should be great to see, my friends, and I have previous commitments to travell up north, on Allegiant Airlines, for 79.00 bucks each way…check a bag and the price goes all to hell again. I’ll report back next week, if anyone wants to hear about it…the racing, that is.

You know, it’s kind of funny, as Tripper is posting a thread as to where Frasson118 is at nowadays. And if you look closely at the postmarks on the cards, it clearly is printed as from Madison Wisconsin. Seeing his neices, and stuff. And it’s actually my neice that is getting married Sat. night. Not going to Wis. Dells, myself, but nontheless I am going to be right in the same neighborhood as his travels seemingly have taken him. I’ll try to catch up.
r.

D) Sunday night at the one and only Slinger Super Speedway, a tight 1/4 mile high-banked aspahlt oval for their regular show, hoping to see Bickle, Trickle, and Holtzhousen, and almost 40 late models for another of thire really graet Sunday night shows.

excellent choice. you just might decide to move to Wisconsin.

coming from Rockford, i’d just shoot up I-43 to US-45N. US-41 and 45 merge on the NW side of Madison, stay on US-41 and do not get off at the Slinger / WI-60 exit. you want to turn south on WI-144 and then east on Cedar Creek Road.

if there’s a big traffic jam leaving the track after the race and you’ve parked on the east end of the south lot you can just go east on Cedar Creek, south on Hillside Road and then west on WI-60 back to US-41.

Al Schill isn’t doing so good this year but he used to be a real hot shoe. keep an eye on him for me, will ya?

ahhh… You lucky bug… Going up to my ole’ homeplace and stomping grounds… In the land of BUSY Racetracks… I hope you enjoy yourself, the races should be great… Let us know as I miss seeing some of them…

Enjoy…

Remember… Go fast and Turn Left!!!

you are correct, sirs–

And T-Macer, I want to move and spend the rest of my life there!
I’ll post something about it tomorrow.

Arrived too late for Thurs night at Wisconsin Int’l, both Friday night raceways at Columbus 151 and Madison Int’l were rained out, and Slinger Super Speedway on Sunday night was all that I could get in, and that had a drizzle of rain all night.
One night at Slinger has bested one year of racing here locally.
And that’s why I do this sort of thing, trackchasing around the country. Skip a few weekends of spending money at races locally, and you’ll have more than enough for a flight, rental car, and Motel 6, which is far better than I deserve.

Slinger, the highest banked, fastest 1/4 mile in the world. Driving for a couple of hours through countryside roads, small po-dunk towns, getting lost a little bit, but finally found the greatest track in the world. Slinger Speedway sits almost in the middle of town, right next to a ski-slope. Racing started at 6:30 pm and was over at 9:10 PM. Ran features only, Super late models, limited late models, sportsmen, thundercars, modifieds, a stocker class, a mini class, and a figure 8 race at the end. Packed stand and pits, and a electric charge in the air all around. Sat a several different places, if in the angled corner stands, the banking is so steep, you cannot see the track in front of you, only the cars comming toward, and exiting away, but nothing in front. Strange layout comming out of 4, where the drivers actually have to steer out of the normal grove hard left every go-around, for if not, they’ll smack the frontstretch wall, and a bunch of them did. Grandstands on the hills, the track carved into the sides of the hills, nice PA system and lighting, canned beer, and homemade Brats on the grill.
Avoided the rush out, and took a stroll through the pits, nice set-ups, even saw Lowell Bennett and Al Schill. The town of Slinger is a small, sleepy town, and every other business is a bar—shoe store, bar, cleaners, bar, hardware store, bar, gas station, bar forever. Did two bar-hops, and on the outskirts of town leaving, stopped into on filthy-rotton joint, again which is far better than I deserve, for one last go, at my older brothers advice.
Whoa! was it awful, but no turning back, and my brother and I and the bartender were the only ones in there. After 10 minuts, there were 6, another 10 min. there were 11 patrons, another 10 minuits, there were 17, and we both knew something was up, but didn’t know what it was.
Soon comes strutting in is Al Schill and his orange colored pit crew, and a cheering audience all around, including my brother and I. What were the chances that this was his after-race hangout? He propted his Brand-new bright orange Converse All-Star high-top shoes on top of the bar that he got for Fathers Day. He came over and shot the breeze with my brother and I for 1 hour, and a whole bunch of stories were told. Great guy, 62 years old, quite famous, but he doesn’t think he is. No autographs, two handshakes and a ton a memories from that night.
I’ll do this again for sure, in the not-so-rainy future.

Good post AB! Never been north of Nashville myself, but you framed the trip well!~

Land Of Busy Raceways–

Indeed, it was, and probably has always been that way.

Todd Mc, just now saw your post about watching Al Schill, and what are the chances of my brother and I, well, doing more than just that?
Did I keep an eye on him or what.
Got a story?
And Duane K., you are correct on the land of busy raceways, and they race all week long.
Got a story?

I often get a post, that racing here in Florida isn’t really all that bad, but----um, yes it is.
And who would know? I would, and tons of others that support their weeknight and Sunday shows everywhere else.
Florida has some shining moments of greatness, you bet. And most of us have been there for those. But Wisconsin, and Indiana, and out west, the shows presented are an actual happening for that night. Each night of local stock car short track racing is a big night, from what I have seen.:sport009:

AB195, if you get up that way again, be sure to go to Angell Park, in Sun Prairie, Wis. It’s one of the best tracks I’ve been to (as long as the weather co-operates). billy

Todd Mc, just now saw your post about watching Al Schill, and what are the chances of my brother and I, well, doing more than just that?
Did I keep an eye on him or what.
Got a story?

not much of one. went in the pits two (?) years ago and said hi, good job, shook his hand. think i have one of his shirts.

But Wisconsin, and Indiana, and out west, the shows presented are an actual happening for that night.

there are crap shows up north as well. South Bend is shut down. Mottville Michigan is just horrid.

that’s why i laugh when people say “we can’t do that down here in the south”. they can run great tracks and crap tracks up ‘north’, i think it’s likely that we can manage a little variety down here as well. especially since “north” seems to start at the GA line.

I often get a post, that racing here in Florida isn’t really all that bad, but----um, yes it is.

there are some exceptions. Citrus was a good show the couple of times i went this year.

Auburndale is doing well. Volusia was long last night, but they had stuff happening pretty much the whole time.