Breaking News!!!

A lot of talk has been going on about tire soaking causing several drivers to be DQ this week at NSS. It was announced on speed51 radio during the races tonight that no more soak tires will be allowed in any class after speedweeks at NSS.

announced on speed51 radio during the races tonight that no more soak tires will be allowed in any class after speedweeks at NSS.

wait, wut? they allow soaking now?

Is this Soaking as in Liquid or Price for the tires?

as i thought, “soaking” the tires is ALREADY illegal by the 2009 FASCAR book. Strictly Stocks is the only class that mentions the specific term “soaking” but even the Super Late Model rules say:
http://www.newsmyrnaspeedway.org/pdfs/09rules.pdf
B. Tires: FASCAR approved tires only. Tires must not be
altered in any way
. Tires must be consistent with
durometer reading from current FASCAR dealer supply.

somebody should probably ( not? :engel016: ) inform Ricky Brooks.

[QUOTE=Todd McCreary;42736]as i thought, “soaking” the tires is ALREADY illegal by the 2009 FASCAR book. Strictly Stocks is the only class that mentions the specific term “soaking” but even the Super Late Model rules say:
http://www.newsmyrnaspeedway.org/pdfs/09rules.pdf
B. Tires: FASCAR approved tires only. Tires must not be
altered in any way
. Tires must be consistent with
durometer reading from current FASCAR dealer supply.

somebody should probably ( not? :engel016: ) inform Ricky Brooks.[/QUOTE]

AS from current dealer suply, maybe they come pre soaked LOL :ernaehrung004:

[SIZE=“4”]Bad Boys?Bad Boys?Wat-cha Gonna Do?Wat-cha Gonna Do When They Come for You…[/SIZE]
[SIZE=“1”](Thanks Raulie)[/SIZE]

Just telling you what was announced by speed51. They were told by Kim Brown. I had always thought that is was not allowed because of what the rule book says. Problem is I have some take offs for my Super Stock and they have been soaked by previous owner.

How often during the racing season are they really checked?

Leave it to JIM FENTON… he puts a great video on here to see the happenings regarding tire soaking at NSS…

Great video MR. FENTON.

I can’t think of any post my MR. FENTON that wasn’t worth reading.

Not sure who that is @ 3:27 on the video punching tires…if tech uses the same procedure, it’s wrong.

Proper way to durometer a tire is to lay the base of the “plate” of the durometer at an angle on the tire, then “roll” the pin into the tire surface and continue rolling forward back off. Noting the highest duro number.

The difference in application WILL provide different results.

I can understand

the concerns with cheating, however, I think a bigger concern is, where are the people? It looks like no one in the stands.

soaking?

[QUOTE=Cara;42742]Just telling you what was announced by speed51. They were told by Kim Brown. I had always thought that is was not allowed because of what the rule book says. Problem is I have some take offs for my Super Stock and they have been soaked by previous owner.

How often during the racing season are they really checked?[/QUOTE]
How will they know, as long as they pass the softness test?? Just a question.

no soaking

[QUOTE=Cara;42742]Just telling you what was announced by speed51. They were told by Kim Brown. I had always thought that is was not allowed because of what the rule book says. Problem is I have some take offs for my Super Stock and they have been soaked by previous owner.

sounds like they want everyone buying tires every week, like the big money people. same-o-same-o!

La La La La,

automotivator[1].jpg

Leave it to JIM FENTON… he puts a great video on here

well, it’s really Speed51 that put the video up. that is interesting to watch though.

it’s apparent that Ricky hasn’t read the FASCAR rule book that closely. and from Rogers’ comment, it’s apparent that the rule is ignored by the track and all the competitors.

Just telling you what was announced by speed51.

i understand. they can only report what they’ve been told.

the fact remains though, the 2009 FASCAR rule book outlaws soaking, trueing, shaving and any other tire modifications you can think of for the SLMs.

the specific durometer rule they’re talking about isn’t even part of any “class” rules. it’s item #10 in the general track safety rules.

what’s really strange is, the soaking actually is legal for Limited LM and ASA LMs and Modifieds:
“[I]WHEELS & TIRES
A. Wheels: 10” steel racing wheels only.

B. Tires: FASCAR APPROVED TIRES ONLY.

1. See Track Safety Rules.[/I]"

Sportsman has the 48 durometer spec in their tire rule so i’m assuming you can soak them.

The Truck rules don’t specify anything about soaking one way or the other ( it just says “Fascar approved tire” ) but they do allow wheel weights! :confused: :huepfen024:

Super Stock only says “Fascar approved” with no reference to the general safety rule.

Mini Stock has a 50 spec on the durometer.

Strictly outlaws trueing and soaking … but has no durometer spec.

the Enduro/Demo rules don’t comment on soaking at all.

I understand what you are saying Todd, I just thought it was interesting that they were announcing no more soaking when I never thought it was allowed espeically for SLM but to say that for all divisions.

This is posted under each division in the 2009 FASCAR rulebook.

PLEASE BE SURE YOU HAVE READ AND
UNDERSTAND THE GENERAL AND SAFETY
RULES BEFORE CONTINUING

Curious to see what the officials do once the season starts.

i don’t want to stir up any po po or do do

and i wasn’t going to say any thing but for those that don’t know –

you don’t have to soak your tires you can buy any kind of tire you want that will be how ever you want it that’s all i’m saying you want a 34 order you some you want 38 order you some :ernaehrung004::ernaehrung004:

When checking to see if a new rule book was out, I re-read the addendums that were done through out last season.

ADDENDUMS TO FASCAR OFFICIAL RULES ? 05.14.09
Safety Rules:
Rule #10. Tires must ?punch? a minimum of 42 on the durometer at all times. NO TOLERANCE

When checking to see if a new rule book was out, I re-read the addendums that were done through out last season.

that’s an update to the “Safety” section of the rule book. it would be superseded by any class specific rules ( otherwise, what’s the point of making specific exceptions within each class? ). that’s why i pointed out that while trucks can run wheel weights, the general FASCAR rules actually ban all wheel weights.

why the durometer punch is even in the “Safety” area is another subject altogether. as i understand the term, tire hardness has never been a “safety” issue.

Cara… the last thing you need to worry about is those tires that were soaked by a previous owner… Just because the previous owner stated he/she soaked them doesn’t actually mean anything to you… He/she might have or might not have… As long as they punch a minimum durometer reading of 42, you shouldn’t have any problem whatsoever…

Good Lord racing is expensive enough without having to worry about where you get takeoffs to race with…

Duane, I am not worried one bit about the tires. Just need to find out what the problem is with the car not wanting to start. All I know it is something electrical and will need to find time to work on it. My husband started a new job within the company he has been working for the past 10 years and it means more hours. Could cause problems with me trying to get back to racing at OSW and might be changing over to dirt to race Saturday nights. I know, I could race at NSS but don’t have the right gear for the car and haven’t been there since the year Homer died.

I don’t mind bring the car to the track OSW by myself because I have done it many times but sometimes I need help with the set up.

Not worried about the rules anyways, just do as I please.LOL :aetsch013: