Orange Blossom 100: Thoughts

Marty Handshaw drove the car it was his last Late Model Win before getting hurt at Hialeah Speedway.

I plan to drive Marty’s 237 at Punta Gorda at the end of the month.

and you are obviously more of a genius than the other 12-15 people that have looked at…

of course i am. buffs fingernails :sport009:

then why not volunteer and help fix the problem! :aetsch013:
Can we expect you Monday morning?

let me get this straight.

i go out there and put on the best show you’ve got in Strictly … and go home with nothing.

now you want me to make a 2 1/2 hr round trip on a work night, to fix your sign for free? i feel so … what’s the phrase … grateful for the opportunity?

you haven’t even bothered to clarify the question of whether it’s the sign or the controller or both. have you bothered digging up the service schematics? or are we supposed to build everything from scratch? do you have ANY display areas on the sign which are designed to show anything OTHER than numbers ( 7 seg displays can’t portray most letters properly, you have to jump up to a 14 or 16 seg display element )

you know bonerman does electronics for a living … and is 15 minutes down the road? and i bet you’ve got( had? ) a bunch of guys who do electrical contracting in the Orlando/Titusville area.

good job Friday night, Joe.

you just can’t argue with an outside pass for the lead though.

Joe let us know the date that you’ll be in Marty’s car. First saw the 237 in the 1966 Governors Cup and have been a fan of Marty’s for 44 years now. Dam I’am getting old.

Answer to Jimmy, request to McCreary and Boneman !

Jimmy Joe Lewandowski and myself drove around to 145 Kangaroo Stores from Palm Bay, to Titusville, Kissimmee to WinterGarden, Apopka to Daytona. We did Altamonte, Lake Mary, East & West Orlando. I stopped in the two stores nearest track twice after we dropped off the first set and refilled them. They were asked to call when the cards were gone and we would refill. That promotion ends this next week if I remember right. Most of the stores after giving us permission, took down our stuff after we left. We found this our by going back by a few and hearing from couple drivers who saw it. It was a lot of work. If you would like some please see me at the track and ask me, I try to have some with me each week as Mark prints them.

Todd McCreay,
I am not sure you have been around so much this year so far at the track, on here a bunch I know. Listen, that Scoreboard has been checked by some electrical contractors, the boards are all fried, the wiring is fried etc. If you think you can fix it then I would certainly not expect you to do it for free, if you want to take a look at it, with Boneman I can certainly try to trade you all out some pitpasses, free tickets for family, etc. It would be appreciated, if we could get the lap counter to work, then maybe later the positions, that would be great. Please let me know if you all are willing to try. Thanks

A little more ‘clarity’ on the scoreboard… BOTH the controler and board itself are fried… there are NO schematics in existence… we tried tracking some down about 3-4 years ago, but again, because the company is out of business, there is no support and nothing that anyone has been able to do short of getting a new board…

We did look into the option of gutting the board completely and just replacing the interior with parts from another company but the expense is in the electronics, not the physical board itself… It would have cost close to what it is for a new board with little warranty since it is not ‘their’ scoreboard…

The problem (with the board) is in the modules and circuit cards… it is not just a matter of re-wiring it… Rusty had it completely rewired back in 06-07 for the PRI show and even spent over $700.00 and I believe traded his old Matador (from what I remember) on ‘parts’ for it and nothing worked…

The only viable solution when dealing with that kind of expense is to get a new one from a reputable company that offers a warranty… I have been going after Daktronics for 2 years now on a new board for OSW (they handle probably 75-80% of the scoreboards around the country for everything from Football Stadiums, High School Gyms, Racetracks, etc.) and their base warranty is 5 years…

Mark have ya’ll checked into Pepsi or another company. I seem to Remember a track a several years ago getting one for free from a vendor but it had their name on it but who cares. Bob…

BOTH the controler and board itself are fried.

i was kind of expecting that after you said the sign got hit by lightning. that is the one nice thing about wireless controllers, the lightning would never have backfed to it.

however, the controller should have never been left plugged in anyways. Fla gets way too much lightning to leave it hooked up.

I have been going after Daktronics for 2 years now

there’s a scoreboard company here in Clearwater:
http://www.scoreboards.net/carracing_scoreboards_cr012.htm

just to clarify, the existing board looks like this?
http://www.scoreboards.com/ScoreBoard/100-mp-8825-m-motor-racing-scoreboard.aspx

a board like this is all 7seg elements. that’s 15 7seg drivers in use for the board shown.

The problem (with the board) is in the modules and circuit cards.

yeah, that’s what i’m saying. you could find a ten year old electronics / ham geek to breadboard that stuff. real circuit boarding is a little more involved but they sell home kits for hobbyists to screen print your own circuit layouts on that stuff too. even if they didn’t sell hobbyist supplies, Melbourne has a buttload of electronics / avionics companies. Orlando probably has one or two as well.

i didn’t take any electronics til i was a junior in high school.

anyways, it will probably be a while til i go back up there. get the controller and hand it off to Boneman if he feels like messing with it.

As soon movindirt suggested a girl in a bikini waving numbered cards (like boxing), then I lost all interest in a working scoreboard.

I am a one man team who is preparing 3 cars. Todd can go it alone on the scoreboard. He is just that good!

I will be racing the 237 on 6/26/10 at Punta Gorda. Hope to see you there - Joe

Todd can go it alone on the scoreboard.

yeah, but you could still pick up the controller, you slacker.

i’m much more likely to be up to your place again before i’m back over to OSW.

Thats actually not a bad idea. Several years ago I was working with the football program at our local high school. Our scoreboard got fried so we contacted Coca-Cola. They bought us a new scoreboard, but like Bob said, it had to say Coca-Cola on it. We also had to agree to a contract to sell only Coke products for a certain time frame. Hey, you don’t know if you don’t ask. All they can do is say no.:wink:

We have actually been down that road with a company that shall remain nameless… The result… Based on the contract the large company has with the scoreboard manufacturer (this is what I was personally told by the manufacturer)… we got the bottom of the barrel for a scoreboard… TRUST ME… In the last 2 years I have had to personally replace all of the interior modules (some more than once), and both the radio sending unit and receiving unit… not to mention they used a scoreboard that requires light bulbs as opposed to LEDs… when I contacted the company to see if there was an alternative to replacing 20+ bulbs per week… their rep said “why in the hell would they put lights bulbs in a racetrack scoreboard”… he followed that up with… “oh I get it now… this deal was done through (nameless corporation)”… That is why the scoreboard was moved up to turn two although it got bitched about on here when it was done… It was done to limit the vibration causing the bulbs to burn out. And I am not bashing the large company… They have to look out for themselves as well when it comes to an expense this big…

And that is not where it stopped… there was another deal done for a Video Display Board that cost close to 6-figures… Problem with that was the company was only authorized to provide and indoor setup which was placed outdoors and has caused more headaches over the past 4 years than it has helped…

I have been looking into the scoreboard situation on my own now for 3 years… it is not a new problem. I know it seems like has just become a topic recently, but fact is… there are a LOT of issues at both racetracks that get discussed behind the scenes and never see the light of day on a message board… and really have no place on a message board.

Again, someone asked a question… and when an answer was provided… it was deemed ‘not good enough’ and has now been hashed out over the course of 20+ posts…

There are options being explored and that is the bottom line and should probably be the end of the discussion… But I know it won’t be!

Just trying to offer a suggestion. No need to be an A$$ in response to it!