Its all in the attitude

I met a guy today who drag races at the Speedworld strip, and we became instant buds. Although I’ve never been at all interested in drags, this dude was so positive, so enthusiastic and enjoyed it so much that I’m sure I’ll head over there one day when he runs his car. Hes got the deal figured out: his son races in a junior dragster and they usually take both cars, so they have a blast.

Would he have sparked my interest if all he did was crab about rules, tech and payout? No way! He made it sound interesting and fun, and the track will sell another pit pass as a result. Even though I really dislike drag racing, I’m all for a good time.

Hmmm…is there anything we could learn from a guy like that?

So…can we expect to see him and his son at OSW anytime soon with all the gushing you did about the roundtrack world? :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Boneman;47389]I met a guy today who drag races at the Speedworld strip, and we became instant buds. Although I’ve never been at all interested in drags, this dude was so positive, so enthusiastic and enjoyed it so much that I’m sure I’ll head over there one day when he runs his car. Hes got the deal figured out: his son races in a junior dragster and they usually take both cars, so they have a blast.

Would he have sparked my interest if all he did was crab about rules, tech and payout? No way! He made it sound interesting and fun, and the track will sell another pit pass as a result. Even though I really dislike drag racing, I’m all for a good time.

Hmmm…is there anything we could learn from a guy like that?[/QUOTE]

So I can count on you helping me out when I take my Camaro out to the strip???

Did you give them a Boneman, pull my finger t-shirt ?

bubba - Yes, he has been to the oval, he liked it very much and even took a few practice laps.

Edm - How could you possibly need help with a street car at a drag strip?

Ez - Sad to say I only had Lavender Spice and Summer Glade with me. I prefer to give out the GOOD ones!

Not even an authentic, autographed Boneman Whoopie Cushion?? How do you expect to expand the Boneman empire?

Although I did not get into it as much as circle track racing, I have gone over there and they do put on a great show. I mostly save my cash to go to circle tracks instead but if there is a group trip let me know.

That’s the difference between local Stock Car Racing and Drag Racing… Drag racers don’t expect anything other than a good time. They do it strictly as a hobby for fun and every so often a few bragging rights and a trophy… Carl and his son have done an outstanding job promoting the Speedworld drag strip for many years and aren’t afraid to actually spend a few bucks to promote what they are doing…

What AncrDave said

I posted on the other site too but drag racing is a blast and it ain’t as easy as roundy round guys think I said the same thing till I built my own car. Just check out what Kurt Busch has done he built an 8 second car and has raced a couple NHRA national events he is hooked big time. Boneman Edm needs help pushing the car through staging lanes. You guys should go you would love it after all it is all about cars.

That’s the difference between local Stock Car Racing and Drag Racing… Drag racers don’t expect anything other than a good time. They do it strictly as a hobby for fun and every so often a few bragging rights and a trophy… Carl and his son have done an outstanding job promoting the Speedworld drag strip for many years and aren’t afraid to actually spend a few bucks to promote what they are doing…

why do we (and by we i really mean all of you and not me) have to be the ones to do nothing but whine about payouts and every other imaginable thing that gets our (and by our i really mean you and NOT me) pantys wadded up? why cant we all do it just for the fun of it and have a good time ?

But that is what I don’t get Tccaz, why would you spend all that time and money prepping a car for 8 seconds? Then you do it over again? At least in stock car racing you get some seat time for your effort.

First as a mechanic and a tuner you get the satisfaction of getting a car to go that fast ( it ain’t that easy), then as a driver you get to beat the other guy ie (reaction time, picking the right dial in, and so many other things and the sensation of speed is awsome) a slow car seems like you are flying in the quarter mile. You need to do it to understand what I mean, everyone thinks it is just stab the go pedal and drive but it is so much more. Try it you’ll like it. Plus you can race just about anything as long as it will pass tech.

[QUOTE=al_tere_go_05;47420]That’s the difference between local Stock Car Racing and Drag Racing… Drag racers don’t expect anything other than a good time. They do it strictly as a hobby for fun and every so often a few bragging rights and a trophy… Carl and his son have done an outstanding job promoting the Speedworld drag strip for many years and aren’t afraid to actually spend a few bucks to promote what they are doing…

why do we (and by we i really mean all of you and not me) have to be the ones to do nothing but whine about payouts and every other imaginable thing that gets our (and by our i really mean you and NOT me) pantys wadded up? why cant we all do it just for the fun of it and have a good time ?[/QUOTE]

It’s a little different when you’re going down a straight line with only one car next to you and you’re done in 10 to 15 seconds.
We gotta race around 30 minutes or so surrounded by knuckleheads. In other words…more things to repair if we’re gonna run the next week. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Rsb

im with you on this. i dont know much about drag racing. i do know its very dangerous for those few seconds… i lost a dear friend up at New England Dragways…
our drivers face many more obstacles and are also in danger.
our drivers have to have to rely on more than eyes…they have to hear , they have to maneuver, they have to rely on attentive spotters, and they do this for a lot more minutes… :wink: not to take anything from dragsters but im with our guys when it comes to excitement!!! YAHOOOOOO
carol aka oz

If it’s who I think it is he a very good friend of mine and the practice laps he took was in a super stock I got for the crew guys to have fun with. He took to it like he has been driving oval track all his life.

modracer22, you are right, it was Tony! He loved getting the chance to drive your car.