Serious Question for Sportsman Racers

No promise or anything but I need to know how many sportsman racers would be interested in another series for sportsman?? You can comment here or e-mail me (racingjls@aol.com) what it would take for you to run a series.

Like I said, this is a serious question for you. Please no bs just honest answers.

Jane

First off I think it should be a 10 to 12 race series. There needs to be a very aggresive tech man and strictly enforced rules package. Make the rule book and stick to it for 2 seasons. Put them on an 8" treaded tire that would last for atleast 3 races like the old goodyear treaded tire would. Pay a fair purse and make car’s that finish 11th through last atleast get there entry fee back. Promote the series like Todd Hutto did, and don’t be afraid to send out invitation’s to racer’s to come race. Try to get all the remaining asphault tracks involved on the rule’s and scheduling. And last but not least, if you win a race you add 25 pound’s to your car, and make it 25 pound’s also for each additional race won, to be carried until the first race of next season. Post the car weight on the windshield.

I am starting to build a new car, and if you know anything about something that is going to happen, I would like to know before I get too far along.

Thanks Patrick Thomas
407-227-3205

Yep, that pretty much puts it in a nut shell. The Southern Sportsman Series had a strong following before… took it over. Raced at different tracks, moderate amount of races, good payouts, fair tech, great car counts, and good competitive racing. They set the bar pretty high.

Just courious, if everyone gets their entry fee back then why bother to charge one??

I am not sure why they charge entry fees, since every Sportsman series race I ever ran I got atleast my entry fee back, even if I finished last. The car counts ranged from 18 to 35 car’s from 2004 through early 2007, which was the year of the regime change, and it was a very competitive mostly fair run series. I wish it would have stayed the way it was in the early year’s, it sure was a blast. If something new would come around, I would be in to give it a try.

Ok Jane you ask and all of the above are good things for a start. Another thing is the owner of the series CAN’T be an owner of a track. As good as Todd was he started out slow ONE series (Mini Stocks). But then got thinking he could do it with other series. Plus be part owner on a track. Both ways are wrong. The owner of any new series no matter what class should have just the one series and that’s his only focus! Have a race for the series once a month. From March to Dec 1th. And do like Todd did his last year. Take June, July and Aug. OFF. Why because of the heat and rain. Just ask those who went to Lake City for the Sportsmen race that was rained out a few weeks ago. How fun is it for a 4 or more hour round trip for a rain out. Jane your asking the right questions. But it needs to be the person running the Series coming on here asking. And one other thing. Have a meeting if possible with as many drivers as possible and get their in put from the start. Or at least get a list of drivers who were in the series or new ones the would like to be in the series for their input. And again have the best techman possible! And give him all the tools he will need to check the cars from top to bottom. Oh and LET the officals on the track make the calls with out having the owner or manager of the series over riding them.

And the owner and officials should have no affiliation with any car what so ever.

I think the reason that some may do it is because when a guy gets DQ’d, for any reason, the driver typically gets nothing at the pay window.

It kind of makes sense to me. Some guys will act like an ass after the race, threatening other drivers, trying to start fights, etc. Others will try to cheat to get through tech. It seems like there should be some kind of penalty for doing that sort of thing, other than just a DQ in the finishing order. At least by charging an entry fee, the series would pocket the money for all dq’s and (hopefully) use it for something productive like expenses, or maybe year-end awards.

And b4 you all start to argue about tire, purses and ruling in general, don’t forget to establish a strong and solid promotion program that will put your serie attractive to race fans, medias in general and racers, not just ‘‘another serie’’ going track to track. And that is the biggest challenge.

[SIZE=“6”]CLAIM RULE![/SIZE]

But then again…it is just another series going track to track. But you are right about getting it promoted both by the series it’s self and by the track that it’s racing at that weekend.

All this does help, please keep your comments and ideas coming. Like I stated, this is a serious question with honest answers needed.

[B][I]I would 1st & foremost try to get a commitment of a brand name sponsor. 3 fields of businesses I would look into:

Computerized world.

Energy drinks.

Canned and bottled car stuff: I.E.: Lucas oil, Sinto, these kinda companies are the hot ticket today.

These companies have more media & advertizing power than you will ever have.[/I][/B]

JANE

The only problem I see with having a series would be getting the tracks to go along with it. Every track is trying to run Sportsmen races on there own with fair car count. I think it would be good for a good Sportsmen series in Florida and could be great car count for all tracks in Floirda if ran right.

Gary Laplant

I agree 100% Gary. I know it won’t be easy working with tracks and getting them to believe in a series but I think it can be done if done right. And I think they are alot of sportsman out there right now just parked and maybe they would unpark for a good series where they know where they stand and they are needed and appreciated.

Jane

I agree with you 100% a lot of cars are parked in many classes do to many reasons. Need to get short track racing in Florida back on track here soon. All tracks need to work together.

Gary Laplant
813 313 8741

The closest thing you could put together right now is to bring back the Southern Sportsmen Series and get the tracks to convert to the rules. Most of the tracks have some kind of version of them already and once a consensus was made for a rule book , it would not cost a lot of racers too much money to adjust. I think everyone is now on an 8" treaded tire, no one has strict body rules etc…the biggest thing would be motors but they now have the spec motor that is less than 5K turn key.
You could get numerous cars back from all over the state. Have a small schedule, maybe one 50-75 lap race per track once a month and then run maybe once or twice a month for a regular show so the guys could stay at their local tracks or maybe go practice at wherever the next race in the series would be.
I would bet that there would be a 100 or so cars throughout the state that would be built, converted or just dusted off. That would be enough for good car counts at all the tracks running the rules weekly and a good percentage of them would travel once a month.
they had some good rules for evening the playing field like adding weight if you won or starting in the rear the next race etc…etc…They teched pretty well, even catching PT’s different bore size block after after numerous tries (sorry PT for throwing you under the bus).
the best thing about the class is that there is still a little innovation allowed and the different body styles are not only economical but great for the fans.

[QUOTE=Racefan99;49302]I think the reason that some may do it is because when a guy gets DQ’d, for any reason, the driver typically gets nothing at the pay window.

It kind of makes sense to me. Some guys will act like an ass after the race, threatening other drivers, trying to start fights, etc. Others will try to cheat to get through tech. It seems like there should be some kind of penalty for doing that sort of thing, other than just a DQ in the finishing order. At least by charging an entry fee, the series would pocket the money for all dq’s and (hopefully) use it for something productive like expenses, or maybe year-end awards.[/QUOTE]
That makes sence racefan, thanks.

One of the problems creating a sportsman series is there is no more Lakeland. That alone got several drivers interested in the series. Very few sportsman drivers ever got the chance to race at Lakeland other then the Southern Sportsman Series.

One thing I would do is bring back the poll award and hard charger award. It doesnt have to be much, plaque, gift card, hat, extra points, piece of paper, but some kind of recognition is always a nice touch.

I agree that taking the summer months off would be wise.

Maybe look into including South Georgia too. Running three tracks put a fork in the series.

[QUOTE=fred23;49437]The closest thing you could put together right now is to bring back the Southern Sportsmen Series and get the tracks to convert to the rules. Most of the tracks have some kind of version of them already and once a consensus was made for a rule book , it would not cost a lot of racers too much money to adjust. I think everyone is now on an 8" treaded tire, no one has strict body rules etc…the biggest thing would be motors but they now have the spec motor that is less than 5K turn key.
You could get numerous cars back from all over the state. Have a small schedule, maybe one 50-75 lap race per track once a month and then run maybe once or twice a month for a regular show so the guys could stay at their local tracks or maybe go practice at wherever the next race in the series would be.
I would bet that there would be a 100 or so cars throughout the state that would be built, converted or just dusted off. That would be enough for good car counts at all the tracks running the rules weekly and a good percentage of them would travel once a month.
they had some good rules for evening the playing field like adding weight if you won or starting in the rear the next race etc…etc…They teched pretty well, even catching PT’s different bore size block after after numerous tries (sorry PT for throwing you under the bus).
the best thing about the class is that there is still a little innovation allowed and the different body styles are not only economical but great for the fans.
__________________[/QUOTE]

And now PGS has everyone building new engines, and the people who had the crate motors looking for buyers…i agree with pretty much everones comments, but getting all the tracks onboard is going to be tough. The Southern Sportsman Series was some of the best and closest racing I had seen and I would like to see that again