Here is how to run an enduro

I snagged these pictures from Speed 51. This was an enduro run last weekend at Kalamazoo Speedway. It looks a little different than most Florida enduros, doesn’t it? These guys are doing it right: the rules are structured around inexpensive cars that are readily available. That means 4 and 6 cylinder cars, either FWD or RWD.

On the same weekend that New Smyrna had a 10 car enduro made up of (mostly) vintage Monte Carlos and Camaros, this place packed the track with well over 100 low dollar racecars.

I see they are using part of the infield as a road course. Why? To keep the speeds down. Enduro cars shouldn’t be required to have cages (remember its supposed to be low dollar), so you have to find a way to lower the speeds. If some drivers don’t like it and want to race on the big track, then they can get a real racecar and leave the enduros to the budget racers and beginners.

Yep!..

…that is exactly how to run an enduro. The “road course” aspect of it is a great equalizer - minimizing the advantage guys with lots of oval track driving/set-up experience have vs. real rookies. Enduros are (or at least were) supposed to be a fun,super low-buck introduction to racing. This format they’re running up in Michigan looks to be all of that.

Car Warz don and chuck (old crash a rama) put on endro races in NY and Mich and this year had as main as 100 cars enter. the rules are the same as they were when we diid it here. the differance is that there they mist be frount wheel drive 4 or 6 cil. this kept the camaeo , montand thunder bird
out of the mix. When we left the car count was 65 at the last orlando race we did. our best in fl wes 85. I heard (tell me if im wrong) the car count was 13 at the last race.
they didnt fix it. they broke it
the numbers dont lie
Its ok to follow if leading aint working

Don62

It was easy in the old days to draw huge fields. Every track could do it. The reason your out of state events were successful was because you modernized the rules to include newer and readily available cars.

The well is poisoned here in Florida. Most operators still think they are going to have 100 full frame V8’s sign up to race. That hasn’t happened for 15 years. The enduros that Moe at Crash A Rama puts on in this state are showing signs of life. He also has the more modern rules based around low cost cars. Why don’t you run enduros at Car Warz?

Don, when you left there wasn’t even a rule book. When did you ever have 65 cars at Orlando?

Rex, Thank looks like a blast I would do it in a second!!!

It was easy in the old days to draw huge fields. Every track could do it. The reason your out of state events were successful was because you modernized the rules to include newer and readily available cars.

The well is poisoned here in Florida. Most operators still think they are going to have 100 full frame V8’s sign up to race. That hasn’t happened for 15 years. The enduros that Moe at Crash A Rama puts on in this state are showing signs of life. He also has the more modern rules based around low cost cars. Why don’t you run enduros at Car Warz?

Don, when you left there wasn’t even a rule book. When did you ever have 65 cars at Orlando?
Rex the 100 cars was this year. ask E+H they came and we had 90.not 13. Rember i said the truth. When i left Rusty was there under me and there wer 118 cars for a high that year. Yiu didnt race much that year. 13 cars ware is the sign of life show me the truth or dare. we do run them at CarWarz 10 times this year. sold out two shows with the bigest croud Holland speedway ever had in 49 some years. Lake Eare speedways largest croud for the year.
not trying to beat u up on here but tell the truth. for years i had to put up with this slander it was my job.

Don62
the truth will set u free

That is where Rocket Rick Reed is from at PGS

come on Rex Man up and say u were wrong. I know Moe is a good friend and thats ok . I quit when Terry Roberts took over and its been 4 years it cant still be my falt.
when i came to FASCAR the car counts were down 45 at NSS and 60at OSW
If oll of u start working towards the same goal u can fix it.
stop crying and invite other racers to come .who in there right mind would bring a car to a track to race with a bunch of rock throwers

sorry about the spelling
Don62

[QUOTE=Don Nerone;53072]come on Rex Man up and say u were wrong. I know Moe is a good friend and thats ok . I quit when Terry Roberts took over and its been 4 years it cant still be my falt.
when i came to FASCAR the car counts were down 45 at NSS and 60at OSW
If oll of u start working towards the same goal u can fix it.
stop crying and invite other racers to come .who in there right mind would bring a car to a track to race with a bunch of rock throwers

sorry about the spelling
Don62[/QUOTE]
well said!!

Don, what are you talkling about? You seem to be mixing up enduro entries, total Car Warz entries, total cars in the pits and who knows what else. When talking to me, try to concentrate.

My point is that enduros are in terrible shape in Florida because the tracks that present them have not caught on to the fact that they can no longer assemble a field of 100+ Monte Carlos. Only the organizers who design the races to be inexpensive, fun and easy will be successful and save enduro racing.

My point is that enduros are in terrible shape in Florida because the tracks that present them have not caught on to the fact that they can no longer assemble a field of 100+ Monte Carlos. Only the organizers who design the races to be inexpensive, fun and easy will be successful and save enduro racing.

I’ll give Don a little credit here. The Car Warz show at Ocala had the 4-6 cyl cars run. I think they started around 30 and the rains came and shortened the show. There were cars that looked like they were built just for that enduro and there were “Gladiator” class race cars participating. It really wasn’t much of an enduro, because of the rain, but the potential was there.

I just pulled out a Video of Jim winning at Orlando in 07 and the last place car is sitting at the pit enterence to the track…with it being a 4 wide start it looks like about 80+ cars. We did go to New York for a crash a rama and I think the number was 97? starters,and they were all Compacts. Ocala did have around 40 and that was a blast on dirt! But I we do keep wondering why every enduro we run the car counts are dropping. We always looked forward to Citrus County’s Enduro, They Gurennted $5,000 to win no matter how many cars started the race. There v-8 enduro would have at least 50 cars and 95% Full Frame Cars. Then they decide to run a Compact cat enduro and only 5 cars showed up. The Enduro last Saturday at New Smyrna was supposed to be a big deal…But the only people that showed up to run, were people that we told/and/or brought.

And Rex’ in the top left hand corner of the second pic…Is that a Chevy Astro van LOL Awesome!!

I have a video somewhere from 1985 when I think Don was there and we started 210 cars on the oval at Desoto. Now that was wild. I think it started double file and when the leader finished the first lap the last few cars were taking the green. Bob…

[QUOTE=Don Nerone;53070]It was easy in the old days to draw huge fields. Every track could do it. The reason your out of state events were successful was because you modernized the rules to include newer and readily available cars.

Rex the 100 cars was this year. ask E+H they came and we had 90.not 13. Rember i said the truth. When i left Rusty was there under me and there wer 118 cars for a high that year. Yiu didnt race much that year. 13 cars ware is the sign of life show me the truth or dare. we do run them at CarWarz 10 times this year. sold out two shows with the bigest croud Holland speedway ever had in 49 some years. Lake Eare speedways largest croud for the year.
not trying to beat u up on here but tell the truth. for years i had to put up with this slander it was my job.

Don62
the truth will set u free[/QUOTE]
Better watch out Don, the sheriff will set all his little deputies on you!! Probably make a $5 t-shirt about you!!! What good does his bitterness and negativity do for the cause of racing. I mean, whats he saying he’s smarter than you? Or maybe knows someone smarter than you? Heck we all know someone that fits that discription!! (joke) And he promised to give me crap if he caught me being negative!!! LOLOLOLO

thr truth is what it is and thanks bob that race was the 2nd endro ever in the whole county. it wes a hoot.
200 laps the officals took turns in my cat 25 laps at a time. The Desoto SPEEDWAGON have u got that on tape.

Rex own up
Don62

Own up to what? To the fact that enduros were successful 20 years ago where ever they were tried? To the fact that the only way to make one work now is to use design them for modern inexpensive cars? These are the points I made from the start.

Before you hurt yourself patting yourself on the back, think back on how sick enduros have been, including many that you put on: no rules, no cars and cut payout. The enduro well is poisoned in Florida and has to be restored. If you have come to your senses and your organization can be part of the solution, then great. I love watching them and have competed in dozens. Good luck with it.

1985 enduros ?

Long before I ever started racing cars I attended a few Enduros that some friends of mine participated in. This first one was at the Fairgrounds in Tampa. It must have been in 1985 by Don’s post. There were over 100 cars and they were lined up three wide from the start finish line to the center of the backstretch. They threw the green and the leaders caught the back of the pack BEFORE they were able to move .( Imagine going a lap down BEFORE you take the green!!) My friend used a 6cyl AMC Gremlin and did pretty good until a tractor tire jumped out in front of him.
The second Enduro I went to was at East Bay. Same thing, over 100 cars. I saw one car that was sitting in the line up in turn 3 when the green flag came out. His car didn’t start,so he had to sit there (NO CAUTIONS in those days). When the race ended he was sitting in turn 1 . Never having fired the car up, just getting hit every once in a while and coasting around.
Would love to see a 100+ show again.

The first Enduro I witnessed was at Hialeah, probably 1976-77… The idea was to bring your car off the street or out of the parking lot and run… similar to what is called fan participation today… they expected maybe 10-15 idiots to give it a try but ended up with 66 cars! they split them into two 100 lap races… remember, these were real street cars… I can’t remember who won the first one but the guy who won the second one was driving a really nice, souped-up but street legal 1965 Dodge Coronet… It was a wild show that they really weren’t prepared for since some of the people actually went out to the parking lot and got in their car and raced with a few already having just a bit too much alcohol in their system…

BONE MAN SAID

Why don’t you run enduros at Car Warz?

I answered that with fact not a bash but with the truth. No patting.

Bone man was your statement true or false?
see if u can do it.
Don62