If this site had an annual membership fee to curb expenses. Would you still use it?

Just and FYI, these sites take alot of hours and money to keep up. If this site had a small annual fee to curb some of the expenses would you pay it to be able to keep up with all the racing news around the world?

Just curious? :smilie_abcfra:

yep

i dont think it would be too much to ask a donation of $5.00 per yr. for a membership. we can think up a benefit for memberships. it costs money to have a site such as this one … advertisers pay most of the costs but they too are cutting back…i would gladly pay simply for all the information we get on here.
thanks Ron…
carol

sure would! for site sake… is there anyone out looking for companys to advertise on here? times are tough, but its out there.

Too easy to get all the info you need, about almost any race in the world, completely free. I for one, would NOT pay to view what I can find for FREE.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but… you asked!!!

Yes I would for sure. Yes Jerry you can get it all for free but you have to go all over to get whats here in one place. My .02 Bob…

Nope. Like Jerry says. This site doesn’t cover everything so it’s necessary to go to others anyways. Jayski, Nascar.com, 4M for dirt late model news, Speed 51, Florida Flag Stand, FloridaSprintCarFans.com, Hoseheads. and the local track sites are a few I use to supplement what this site doesn’t cover.

No, but I do like this site. billy

wow! im surprised…

This site isnt the same. we have all become friends thru Karnac at one time or another and because of that we have become close. when life throws us curves such as a death or serious illness, we all pull together to help… thats what makes this site special. yes, all the big races are found on other sites but the personal things are strictly here on a site many people put alot of effort into giving us. we have radio shows, videos, photos and stories which cant be found anywhere else. sorry frassy but i dont agree with you this time… where else is there info about “Frassopalussa” or whatever its called. like it or not this board is special… sometimes it sucks but it isnt the board. its some of the people who write on it! besides, we are talking about a volunteer donation of $5 a YEAR!!! would barely defray costs of operation. Jacks medical bills have been astronomical and we are just trying to find ways to help him help us! its not going to be a big $$$ maker by any means. …
carolwicks aka oz

wow! im surprised…

This site isnt the same. we have all become friends thru Karnac at one time or another and because of that we have become close. when life throws us curves such as a death or serious illness, we all pull together to help… thats what makes this site special. yes, all the big races are found on other sites but the personal things are strictly here on a site many people put alot of effort into giving us. can you go to speed 51 and read about the road warrior race or about the eddie brann race? we have radio shows, videos, photos and stories which cant be found anywhere else. sorry frassy but i dont agree with you this time… where else is there info about “Frassopalussa” or whatever its called. like it or not this board is special… sometimes it sucks but it isnt the board. its some of the people who write on it! besides, we are talking about a volunteer donation of $5 a YEAR!!! would barely defray costs of operation. Jacks medical bills have been astronomical and we are just trying to find ways to help him help us! its not going to be a big $$$ maker by any means. …
carolwicks aka oz

My opinion, as I have/do own a few websites, it would be hard to jump into a membership fee right off the get-go. Why not set up a paypal account for the site and ask for donations first. That is what I do and I get plenty of donations to keep the site up and then some.

Basically try for donations first then if that doesn’t work over several months, go for the membership.

Trevor

[QUOTE=carolwicks;53590]This site isnt the same. we have all become friends thru Karnac at one time or another and because of that we have become close. when life throws us curves such as a death or serious illness, we all pull together to help… thats what makes this site special. yes, all the big races are found on other sites but the personal things are strictly here on a site many people put alot of effort into giving us. can you go to speed 51 and read about the road warrior race or about the eddie brann race? we have radio shows, videos, photos and stories which cant be found anywhere else. sorry frassy but i dont agree with you this time… where else is there info about “Frassopalussa” or whatever its called. like it or not this board is special… sometimes it sucks but it isnt the board. its some of the people who write on it! besides, we are talking about a volunteer donation of $5 a YEAR!!! would barely defray costs of operation. Jacks medical bills have been astronomical and we are just trying to find ways to help him help us! its not going to be a big $$$ maker by any means. …
carolwicks aka oz[/QUOTE]

You are talking about 2 different things. A volunteer donation is not the same thing as charging a fee to use the site. I use Karnac primarily for the forum. There is Florida racing news on the front page, when I can find it. But it’s not complete. It is primarily press release and a few articles. I haven’t seen anything about USAC taking over sanctioning the Wingless Sprint Car Series in Florida. That’s a pretty big deal. There’s no drag racing news, no motorcycle racing, etc. Nothing has been mentioned of the issues with Punta Gorda, only positive posts by you. Anything that was possibly construed as negative, was pulled. I’m sorry but I can’t see paying for a site like that. If the product covered more in an unbiased fashion, I might change my mind. Please don’t take this as me flaming this site. I’m just stating facts. I like Karnac and I like Jack. I will gladly donate to help Jack but don’t require me to pay to use the site. JMO

About a decade ago I was a part of a very popular message board that went to a “donation” type format. The board maintained a “free” area where anyone could post or read posts, but for a fee “members” were given access to areas that others were not, and also could pay higher fees to have advertising removed, etc. Many people “donated” and became “members” while others did not, but gradually many got tired of the “doantions” and stopped paying. That site is now back to being a totally “free” site that makes money from ads and not those who use it. To put it simply, that stuff gets old and over time people will find other free resourses to use, so in the end it won’t work.

Bottom line for me is that I understand Jack’s situation quite well as I am battling cancer myself. But thanks to my cancer battle my finances are shot, and I cannot afford to pay anything to anyone for anything that isn’t a nessesity. So, in other words, it would be a matter of me abandoning this board and Karnac.

Nope, not me.

The only thing you get for nothing is…nothing. I would be happy to pay or donate.

It should be a donation to help keep the site up, not a yearly fee. I have a place on my website thru pay pal where you can donate to help me keep the site up and going. Of course no one has ever donated a dime but karnac is different.

Karnac does not have that many advertisers and we stopped advertising for tracks unless it is one big race and a one time deal. Honestly, it was just too hard to collect the money and alot of the times, we never did. But a donation would definitely help out alot. We do have server fees to pay and actually I am suppose to be paid since I do all the posting but right now Jack is battling for his life and no money has come in.

I am not complaining at all because I have been with Jack almost since day one of karnac but it does take alot of time to post everything that is sent to us and do some research on other things. I was paid for this up until about 5 months ago and then things got very bad for Jack but I promised to take care of karnac and I have.

But no, not a yearly membership fee but maybe a $1.00, $5.00, $10.00 donation thru pay pal would definitely help karnac, Jack and me. I also am facing some medical bills and surgery right now plus Alex’s surgery and possible foot removal and even a $1.00 donation, definitely would help.

On my dirt website, I had it where for $25.00, I would put up a driver’s page for him with all his stats, pictures, results and stories from each week’s racing for everyone to see but nothing yet. I don’t have any advertisers either although I almost had one. But these sites don’t just appear by air, it takes hard work and long hours and sometimes that little $1.00 can go a long way in letting the people know you actually do enjoy and appreciate all their hard work.

And yes, that is my two cents worth. Most people are paid for their jobs when they work and believe you me, this is a job and a long hour job but no matter what you decide, karnac will be here.

Jane

I would like to send a donation. Tell me where to mail it, please.

Raise funds through advertising and donations, fees will drive most people away.

I?ve spoken with Jack twice on the phone about this site in the last couple months and volunteered to help straighten it out. We had a great conversation and I hope he?s feeling better and on the road to recovery. No reason this web site couldn?t make money to more than cover the expense?s if it where done in a professional manner.

I own, run three different forums with over 20,000 members, all three make money thru advertising and no reason this site couldn?t. The way it presently is laid out, the scripts you are using not only make it hard to maintain but it is not done in a manner potential advertisers are going to be impressed with.

After building web sites, running forums for about ten years I?ve never seen the donation method work.

I stand by my offer to Jack and will try and contact him this week to see if there is something I can do to help.

Jane if I can help you just drop me a PM.

Yes. This site gives me people to chat with. Yes, you can get the info someplace else, but just think winger, without this site you wouldnt of been able to slam me, thats gotta be worth something!!! Where do I send the “donation”?

ok

well first of all let it be known that Jack didnt bring this subject up. he would never think of asking. i just know he is medical expense destitute and has nothing more left to give so i wanted to find ways to help. he doesnt have an ounce of energy anymore so we can help him by getting along and finding a way that works. i agree that donations periodically would help. its about $400 a month to keep up the site so in the scheme of things if we all donated a couple bucks once in awhile it would help. Like i said, none of us would even know each other, no frappalooza, no group prayer efforts to help those in troubled times, no promoting drivers, no radio show geared to our locals… i sure dont want to lose the site… jack builds sites for people and many times he never gets paid. but he keeps on trucking…we will find a way… :wink: and i thank you all for your thoughts and opinions and keep the ideas coming… we dont have to agree… we just need to try and find something that works for all of us.
God bless…
you are really all nice people. sometimes we get out of line but in general when the chips are down…WE CARE!
carol aka oz