FASCAR, restarts and The "lazy green"

Its time to make a clearification or a correction to the new restart rule. Last nights 100 lap truck race was decided by blatently jumping on a late race restart. The Governor’s Cup is 2 weeks away, so this needs to be clearly addressed. I guarantee the same problem will occur in the 200 if the track doesn’t speak up soon on this. Waiting until the driver’s meeting is too late.

A month or so ago, the track dropped the policy of the “lazy green”. Of course that was the approach where the starter has the option of calling off a start, especially if someone jumps. Instead, they added another line across the track in turn 4 to define a restart zone. Anywhere between the two lines is where the leader can fire. If someone jumps, they are penalized on the next restart or at the end.

Last night someone jumped, Stevie Wonder could have seen it, he went on to win but no penalty was handed out. We need to know going forward how this is going to work. Does the “restart zone” not apply late in the race?

I can’t really blame the driver for trying it, he was leading near the end of a long, hard race, and was lined up next to a fast truck, but I can blame the track for letting him get away with it. I also have to give credit to the second place guy. He was a man about it: he kept his foot in it and tried to run the winner down, although he would have been perfectly justified to slam on the brakes at the starter’s stand and raise hell.

On an unrelated, but similar, note; Friday nights Strictly Stock feature was decided with a last-lap pass by a car that was two lanes down on the Bandolero track. Since when is that ok? Is it just going to be dog-eat-dog toward the end of every race?

Mr. Boneman,
I would be surprized if the FASCAR officials reply to questions on message boards. Your questions are not without merit but maybe a direct e-mail to the officials would get a response.

FASCAR - Why don’t you set up a message board that is password protected for members utilizing their real identity. This could minimize bad publicity and provide a way for questions and issues to be resolved through communication.

I like the PASS series start/restart rule. If you jump the start it cost $500. maybe a little pricey but worth adopting a form of. I’ve seen too many races the the field will start one time going into turn three,the next time of of four,the next time somewhere else. To go along with that half the time the pace car is still on the track so the the inside lane gets hosed. Just get it consistant.

We have something similar set up for drivers/fans/teams or really anyone to communicate their concerns… it is called a telephone… a relatively new technology that they pay good money for every month… there is no username/password to remember (which I for one love!)…

all you have to do is use your own phone and dial 386-427-4129 (or any of the other numbers listed in the contact or rule book section of the websites) and here’s the best part… you don’t have to wait for someone lurking online to respond… they can actually talk back to you in real-time…

Some say it is a fad and will soon pass but we have faith in this new technology that it just may catch on!

This forum has been used for 10+ years to discuss racing issues in public. Thousands of topics have been raised and there is no reason not to start this one. If you don’t want to respond, then don’t.

Phones are fine for private conversations, this one concerns everyone who races.

“Hello, FASCAR?”

“Yes, how can I help you?”

“I have a problem with the truck race last week.”

“Were you in the race?”

“No.”

“Did you own a truck, or work on one?”

“No, I was watching from the stands”

Yeah, I can see that conversation going great!

Great ! So if I have a question or concern, I can have a conference call with all the officials ? A private forum for officials, car owners, and drivers would without a doubt keep bad publicity to a minimum, provide communication with all parties.

It is just a way to communicate, and very easy to do. Just add a members only forum to the FASCAR website.

I personally will call if I have an issue that can be resolved by one person, however that is rare.

Rex , I was simply stating that there has very RARELY been an issue addressed by the track on a message board and that we DO have something in place for people to express their concerns .

I think your mock scenerio was a little skewed but if a call is never made , we can never know how it will be received .

I will apologize for the ‘smart-ass’ nature of my post though… I have the flu , and on medicine , and personally thought it was funny as hell and quite clever , maybe I was wrong!

I would also like to ad that I am not and have never claimed to be a FASCAR Official . When I do post on this message board it is for informational purposes only . I will NEVER address a concern/post that should be handled by an Official for the simple fact that I am not one .

[QUOTE=Voice of NSS;54483]We have something similar set up for drivers/fans/teams or really anyone to communicate their concerns… it is called a telephone… a relatively new technology that they pay good money for every month… there is no username/password to remember (which I for one love!)…

all you have to do is use your own phone and dial 386-427-4129 (or any of the other numbers listed in the contact or rule book section of the websites) and here’s the best part… you don’t have to wait for someone lurking online to respond… they can actually talk back to you in real-time…

Some say it is a fad and will soon pass but we have faith in this new technology that it just may catch on![/QUOTE]

LMAO! LOL:sport009:

[QUOTE=Boneman;54487]“Hello, FASCAR?”

“Yes, how can I help you?”

“I have a problem with the truck race last week.”

“Were you in the race?”

“No.”

“Did you own a truck, or work on one?”

“No, I was watching from the stands”

Yeah, I can see that conversation going great![/QUOTE]

I love Karnac LOLOLOLOL:)

did you watch the nationwide race from texas last night

now you got to be on ball to beat kyle bush on restart – but let me tell you carl edwards knew the only way to win the race was to jump kyle , and on last restart boy did he ever jump him i can’t believe they did not call that one back

i have seen rusty wallace get called back for less than that

i raced at a track when i was young and the flagman said you better be line up when you came under the starters stand because when you go into turns one and two from there to turns 3-4 if i like the way you are lined up i’m throwing the green – when you get black flag get off track when red comes out stop white one more lap and chekered you won the one i liked the best was the move over flag he said if you ain’trunning fast enough to keep up go to pits

starts & restarts

to me ,when the green comes out ,it’s racing for every one . don’t think front of pack should get that much of a free run.

Mark, don’t sweat it. I know we were just having a spirited conversation.

I don’t expect for anything to be resolved by discussing it on here, but this forum is a good place to get the conversation going. I still think something has to change, because I know that we don’t want the Governor’s Cup to end the same way.

As far as my “phone call” goes: I can tell you that for the last several years the FASCAR officials have always been friendly and professional with me. I am sure they would be patient and polite if I actually called, but part of that is for me to know how to pick my fights. I would quickly wear out my welcome if I called about everything that popped into my head, so I never do it. Instead, we have this forum. I am just throwing the topic out there and hoping it will draw some interest.

Looking forward to the Cup weekend!

Then of course, the problem is determining whether the 2nd place jumped or if the leader, as so often happens, was braking or intentionally slowing the start. Wasn’t at the race, so not commmenting on this case, just in general. It seems the leader is given far too many chances to screw the rest of the field with accordion starts and braking to draw the other cars into a false start. Even Nascar struggles with this, which is why they went to the restart zone. If the leader doesn’t fire by the end of the zone, it’s game on sorry bout your luck. If the leader then brakes to protest, he’s going straight to the back.

The PASS rule may be a bit extreme, but I’ve seen it and it works. Never have I seen a class of cars line up, take the spot they are directed to, and get ready to start so quickly. ASA, they weren’t any better than locals, except they did use transponders to take the guess work out. There was no bite to the rule, that’s what PASS added.

Well time to put my two cents into this “discussion”. Want to make this an easy way to restart. Have the Flagman Start all when HE wants too… It could be at the corner, it could be halfway to the flagstand, it could be at the flagstand. Vary the starts and positions… This would not only make for more interesting starts for the racers, but the fans in the stands would enjoy them more…

No worries about lines, who jumped who, and blah blah blah. If you can’t follow the Flagman’s call once, shame on you. Twice, back to the back and deal with it you Flocked up not the other guy…

have a great day…

Edit: Took a look at the 2011 Fascar rules and it states under the General Rules #14 B. The FASCAR Flagman starts the race on the initial start.

That’s a start that hopefully won’t be changed back to the line.

I agree…

Maybe it’s changed.???

[QUOTE=Voice of NSS;54483]We have something similar set up for drivers/fans/teams or really anyone to communicate their concerns… it is called a telephone… a relatively new technology that they pay good money for every month… there is no username/password to remember (which I for one love!)…

Some say it is a fad and will soon pass but we have faith in this new technology that it just may catch on![/QUOTE] A little over a yr ago, when I USED to be involved in sponsorships, I have called the track several times and always got a machine. And unless I specifically stated I wanted to sponsor/help sponsor something, no-one ever returned my call. If Joe, when he was there, thought he could get in my pockets he would call back, so what sense is there in calling?? I’m not upset at Joe, he was like most other racers in that regard.

Good Idea!

[QUOTE=flraceguy;54569]Well time to put my two cents into this “discussion”. Want to make this an easy way to restart. Have the Flagman Start all when HE wants too… It could be at the corner, it could be halfway to the flagstand, it could be at the flagstand. Vary the starts and positions… This would not only make for more interesting starts for the racers, but the fans in the stands would enjoy them more…

No worries about lines, who jumped who, and blah blah blah. If you can’t follow the Flagman’s call once, shame on you. Twice, back to the back and deal with it you Flocked up not the other guy…

have a great day…

Edit: Took a look at the 2011 Fascar rules and it states under the General Rules #14 B. The FASCAR Flagman starts the race on the initial start.

That’s a start that hopefully won’t be changed back to the line.[/QUOTE]
But remember Dwayne, the REAL order comes from the tower. As on all of the calls, watch the flagman, he doesn’t call anything without looking up in the tower.

That’s exactly right tuna! In a sport where safety is a number one concern, the man with the power to make a very important decision can’t because he has to get the permission first. I’ve seen many nights where the caution flag does’nt come out until the field is pretty much on top of the car/cars that are still in the middle of the track. I know it can get a little annoying when the caution keeps coming out but i would rather see that than someone getting seriously hurt. I guess it would be safe to say that until the track give’s the permission for him to make the on track decissions and the track to back him up, that will obviously never work the way it should.

you got it!!