long shot but does anyone know where...

any abandoned race tracks are? Im looking into restoring a race track on my spare time and i know theres a couple ive heard around but no one would give details. anyone know where there is a track that no one owns??

Theres a nice 1/2 mile dirt track that NEVER opened in Ft.Meade.Seems like the owners fell off the face of the earth,or something…

The track never opened. Ill look into it

Is it the one off 17? If it is they ran go carts and i think some antiques there several years ago. I went and took some pictures a couple years ago. There is a flag stand left and a few buildings.

:smiley: im loving the sound of that track. Dont have much money but it dont take much to clear out weeds and paint and so on… im looking into the track and i keep updates as i look into it further Do you know about where around Ft. meade the track is and possibly the name of the track?

If you’re in Deltona, look into what’s going on with St. Augustine. A lot closer than Ft. Meade (south of Lake Wales/Lakeland area). St. Augustine track is still there from what I understand, someone takes care of the landscaping and all that, grandstands, track, everything…it’s just not operating at this time, again, from what I’ve read.

It’s a good half-mile trioval, Hooter’s Cup ran there…northeast Florida could use another GOOD short track up that way. There’s nothing north (asphalt) - or even south - of New Smyrna on the east coast.

The track on 17 is just south of Bartow. It is on Sand Mountain Rd. and the track was called Sand Mountain Speedway. Ran my sprint car there back in 05 for a practice session.

There is also the old Punta Gorda Speedway located on US 41. Oil Well Rd. I think.

Cool Thanks guys Ill look into it.

[QUOTE=Jimmy McKinley;84245]If you’re in Deltona, look into what’s going on with St. Augustine. A lot closer than Ft. Meade (south of Lake Wales/Lakeland area). St. Augustine track is still there from what I understand, someone takes care of the landscaping and all that, grandstands, track, everything…it’s just not operating at this time, again, from what I’ve read.

It’s a good half-mile trioval, Hooter’s Cup ran there…northeast Florida could use another GOOD short track up that way. There’s nothing north (asphalt) - or even south - of New Smyrna on the east coast.[/QUOTE]

Do you remember what the name of the track is for St. Aug? and about where its at?

It’s north of the city, just off of US-1, nearly across the street from the airport & a Northrup-Grumann plant. The place is still in beautiful condition, but I have heard, several times,that the city lawmakers have expressly forbidden any racetracks to open. Not only in the St. Augustine district, but the entire St. Johns County.

Not sure if this is FACT, but worth looking into what the zoning laws are for that piece of property.

As of about 1-1/2 years ago, it looks as if a good lawn mowing and replacing a few blown out lilght bulbs, this place could open in a week or so from the starting point. Looks as if they ran last week, even though it’s probably about 10 years now it’s been closed.

ok Thanks. ill Call the county and find out whats going on.

[QUOTE=MikeATaylor;84302]Do you remember what the name of the track is for St. Aug? and about where its at?[/QUOTE]Ummm…St. Augustine Speedway :slight_smile:

Jerry answered your question as to its location; I never got a chance to get to it.

Here’s a link to Google Maps:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Speedway&hl=en&ll=29.963263,-81.364059&spn=0.018144,0.042272&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=33.984987,86.572266&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=15

VJ Ursina from Ursina Construction of St. Augustine owns it…The track WAS asphalt but they tore it all out of there.Sand Mountain WAS a nice facility and we ran the last practice they ever ran there.Jerry is correct it’s only like 2 miles across the road from the airport in St. Augustine.

The St. Augustine track is on Big Oak RD, west of the air field. billy

tore up as no more track property?? I was looking into tulsa speedway in Tulsa, OK but my whole family is down here in FL so i want to stay in fl… I looked into Sand Mountain speedway but I havent been able to find the correct people to talk to. I called the county and they told me that they never had a record of the track… So i think i need to look deeper into it lol.

I will see if I can find thee pictures that I took at sand mountain I crawled thru the fence and took a bunch of pics. I am not at that computer right now.
Bob…

I know that was there because i ran into a website that had a couple pictures but its funny that the person i spoke with said she doesnt see a record for it

[QUOTE=MikeATaylor;84569]tore up as no more track property?? [/QUOTE]For St. Augustine? No, just the track surface. The facilities are still there from what I understand. The property just needs cleaned up. The track started out originally as dirt, I believe, then was paved. They ran Hooter’s Pro Cup there a few years, All-Pro, I think, and a buncha other good touring series.

I tried looking for Ursina Construction of St. Augustine and couldnt find anything… Any Idea on how to find them or should i just drive to the track? Ive been trying to contact the county to see if the track could reopen.

http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/FL/SandMountain.html#TrackFacts

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Sand+Mountain+Road+Fort+Meade,+FL+33841&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x88dd1ef3d0d1be81:0x1c2df0b2fd55874c,Sand+Mountain+Rd,+Fort+Meade,+FL+33841&gl=us&ei=WqVXTpbdOYW4tgfri62XDA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ8gEwAA

The track is down and to the right I believe on that google map. Although I have never been to that one. It says it closed in 06 due to permitting issues.