Exclusive Interview with Robert Yoho Tomorrow

Karnac.com will have the exclusive interview with Robert Yoho tomorrow about the track in St. Pete. If you have any questions for Robert, leave them here and I will ask him as many as possible. He is also asking for suggestions for a new name for the track, so think of some good names and I will pass them along.

1. What’s the plans as far as lighting, concession stands, grandstands, etc. (physical structures) needed?

2. What day/night do they plan on racing weekly? My suggestion: stay away from a Saturday-night show to start with, until the car count/fan count gets back up. Try a Sunday afternoon program to start with; that way, hey don’t need lights to open the track.

3. What classes are they planning on running? No more than about four or five, I hope. My suggestion: Super Late Models (bring 'em back on a weekly basis with a decent payout); open-wheel Modifieds; Sportsman; and a “Strictly-stock” class for 4- and 6-cylinders, since that’s what’s readily available in junkyards now. Once a month, bring in Strictly Stock Figure 8 (not those crazy “dirt-car” things with the wings on 'em), TBARA Sprints, and maybe the DAARA group. Leave the 4th (and 5th, if there is one) week open.

4. Bring back a good Sunday-afternoon Super Late Model special (or two or three). Memorial Day weekend, a Leo Musgrave Memorial race, and an end-of-the-year show. Practice and pre-lims on Saturday afternoon/evening (if the lights go up), and then heat races and the “big show” on Sunday afternoon.

5. NO TIME TRIALS. Run heat races and have a four-week average points, with the fast guys starting in the back. Get someone that knows how to set that up.

6. Get a good concessionaire that can work out some sort of “family meal deal” (four meals for $20" or something like that) or “combo meals” (sandwich, fries/chips, med/large drink). Keep the prices down.

7. Some sort of “family ticket” for either two adults (with no kids, like me and my wife), or two adults and two or three kids. Make it family-friendly.

8. Speaking of “family-friendly”, a family section (no alcohol, no smoking section) in the main grandstands.

Those are just my suggestions :slight_smile:

What’s wrong with Sunshine Speedway???. Or could be like Bubba and his Ego. Yoho Raceway!!!

That’s a great start Jimmy!

x2 for Sunshine Speedway

I agree with Keeping the name Sunshine Speedway. Or as whats currently painted on the walls “Sunpass Speedway”. Because after all, none of this would have been possible without the states support.

Now, I have never raced, but I grew up at Desoto and Sunshine as a race director/tech mans son. I would like to get into racing but could only afford to run a 4 or 6 cylinder front wheel drive car. Please make a low budget beginners class and I will do my best to put a car together.

Oh, and I dont agree with day races…I believe the Florida heat will keep a lot of fans from coming if the races are during the day.

Saw on the FaceBook page a while back that “Sunshine” can’t be in the “new” track name.

I like:

Gulf Coast Raceway Park
Raceway by the Bay
Tri-County Raceway Park
Suncoast Motor Speedway

There were some, uhh, pretty silly suggestions on the FaceBook page.

Another suggestion: bring back the Gulf Coast Classic 100 for Super Late Models.

Put together a real Triple Crown weekend. St. Pete Friday night (100 laps), Orlando Saturday (125 laps), and New Smyrna on Sunday for the Governor’s Cup. Keep it that way.

[QUOTE=77NovaRacer;95076]Oh, and I don’t agree with day races…I believe the Florida heat will keep a lot of fans from coming if the races are during the day.[/QUOTE]But - you also have to remember: just about EVERY other asphalt race track in the state are all Saturday-night tracks, with the exception of Orlando. You have Auburndale, Inverness, Bradenton, Punta Gorda, Bronson - which all run on Saturday nights and are within what, an hour or so (exception - Punta Gorda) of the Bay area. Plus you got East Bay and Ocala for the dirt fans. If St. Pete tries to run on Saturday nights again, you’re just gonna dilute the car/fan counts even further - if not at St. Pete, then at the other tracks that those Bay area fans, cars, and drivers were going to. You GOT to work WITH the other tracks in the state first in order to get the fans and cars back at St. Pete.

If you’ve lived in Florida any length of time, the heat shouldn’t be a problem :slight_smile: If that’s the case, then run the racing season from September to May to start with if you’re gonna run a “daytime” show.

Right now, there are no lights for racing at St. Pete.

Showtime “Action” Speedway

I like the “Showtime” idea…

But if Leonard is a backer, which I suspect is likely, “Q” Autodrome is fairly well fitting…either way just let me know when to get the cars ready…Oh and last week we moved into our new racecar shop a block away from the back gate of the revived speedway. WE HAD FAITH!!! LMAO:ernaehrung004:

Since moving to Florida about the time Sunshine closed, I have repeatedly heard about this great track called Sunshine Speedway. I wouldn’t consider changing the name unless it’s not allowed. If that was the case, I’d name it after the sponsor that came up with the most money. Tropicana, 1-800-AksGary, Karnac field, LOL
Actually, Jack Smith told me several times about Sunshine. Maybe Karnac field would be a fitting name.

How about “St. Pete Action Track”

SPAT

I don’t think they can use Sunshine anymore.

[QUOTE=Winger;95087]Since moving to Florida about the time Sunshine closed, I have repeatedly heard about this great track called Sunshine Speedway. I wouldn’t consider changing the name unless it’s not allowed. If that was the case, I’d name it after the sponsor that came up with the most money. Tropicana, 1-800-AksGary, Karnac field, LOL
Actually, Jack Smith told me several times about Sunshine. Maybe Karnac field would be a fitting name.[/QUOTE]

But I do like the Karnac idea!

keep it sunshine

it shoud be kept sunshine speedway for sure!!! First there was the story that is was never allowed to be re-opened as a race track when it was sold to the state, now they cant use the name?? come on!!! sunshine speedway, and if the previous owners have a problem with it, tough krap!!!

Can anyone tell me if that is true about the past owners not wanting it ever to be a race track again, and if so, why would they even care!!!Did they not get there money???

why not “SUNRISE SPEEDWAY”. Its on the east side of the county where the sun hits first. Its a new day for stock car racing in this area and the state of Florida so start fresh with a “rise of a new beginning”. Why keep living off of Leo Musgrave, have faith in Robert Yoho. I am not allow to come here under the name of chevyj31, I am sure you would give a krap because we have different views.

please explain, I dont understand…i do like the idea of sunrise…a little

Tampa Bay Speedway… Or Tampa Bay Raceway… It’s great to hear that they are reopening…

tampa bay

I like “Tampa Bay Speedway” Nice and simple. Or just “Showtime Speedway”

But the track is in St. Pete. Tampa is on the other side of the bridge. Also is it just for the 5 years they said or did they get a extension? Also what about the 60 day (I think) to vacate anytime during the contract?

Yes but Pinellas county is bordered by Tampa Bay…Just as Tampa is… Referring More to the area than anything… The whole area is considered the Tampa Bay area… Tampa bay refers to the body of water… Tampa is a city…

I think 2 tracks that close to each other with the same name ‘Tampa’ would be confusing.
We have 2 tracks in Lake City and when I tell people I race at Lake City, they ask “the dirt or asphalt track”… Just sayin’

If you can’t use Sunshine then I think Sunrise or Suncoast would be a good choice.
-JIM-