Desoto Open Sportsman race March 31

[QUOTE=ocalasp76;99965]The 650 is a soft tire and the 450 is a softer tire…:frowning:
-JIM-[/QUOTE]

Well we will see how it works, but I think what really evens the field is a harder tire so all the high dollar motors don’t have the avantage. I have wrote on here many times a harder tire not only evens the field it also saves the racer a ton of money, when they last 6 to 8 nights. I guess here in Florida the promotors want to make that tire money and don’t care about the working guy going broke buying tires every night

I am putting my money where it will help racing, by sending one of your boys home.

I would have never been in the back if the jackass in the 20 didn’t drive into my drivers side door at the flag stand pushing me against the wall only to lose control of his car going into 3 right in front of me.

[QUOTE=Edm;99998]I am putting my money where it will help racing, by sending one of your boys home.

I would have never been in the back if the jackass in the 20 didn’t drive into my drivers side door at the flag stand pushing me against the wall only to lose control of his car going into 3 right in front of me.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know where your from but this is criminal threatening you might want to look at the case on Claremont speedway where a person made a similar statement on line and the driver got hurt he’s in Jail now. I think you were ready to give up racing before the accident and just used this for an excuse.

Ok, fair enough, online offer is rescinded. Any driver not with this group please feel free to contact me personally.:ernaehrung004:

[QUOTE=Gasman77;100024]I think you were ready to give up racing before the accident and just used this for an excuse.[/QUOTE] No, not at all. This pushed me completely over the edge.

Whats wrong buttercup, can’t take a dose of your own medicine?

[QUOTE=x90 John Sarppraicone;99836][SIZE=“5”]Thats right where going back in time only at Desoto Super Speedway.[/SIZE]

All Cars must weigh 1350 right side
8’’ rims
Hoosier 650 rightside
Hoosier 450 left side
2 barrel carb.

I don’t care if you have 5 links, 600 hp motors ,Nasa shocks ,rocket power, fiberglass bodies,cams ect,thats all of the rules above.This will tell who’s who about racing at Desoto Super Speedway.

All heat races, all of the fast cars will start in the back no sand bagging,I know who the fast ones are.Its all about the show and fans.

Pays $400.00 to win,25 laps and if this works I am going to change our whole racing program for the fans.

So now every car in Florida can race sporstman no excuses,Be there.

NO phone calls on this race only at Desoto Super Speedway[/QUOTE]

Wow what an offer 25 laps for 400 bucks let me see first you want me to spend 475.00 on tires than all the other costs to get there to win!!!than have to deal running heats for no cash at all cause the way it sounds is your asking for a crash fest and john tell me why i should bring my car again cause i really dont care about the money but its nice to know if you win and i say if cause if this bring s out as you say the fast cars they wont come having to spend more than your offering to win so why not make it worth someones time and pay us!!!now i know i said its not about the cash so let me clarify I would find another sport if i cared about the money its how you are treated at a race track thats makes you race there!!! I would love to race this race but in this case its the princable i meant when i said i wouldnt be back!!!but good luck to all that do take part in this cause desoto is one bad ass track to run on!!!

“have to deal with heats for no cash at all”…

If it were me, I’d welcome all the racing I can get on race night. How much cash do you get for practice nights? I’d rather run 3 heats for no cash, than 3 practice sessions for the same return.

You do make a good point though on the tires. It seems that with this tire rule, odds are stacked that you will have to buy them from the track, which is a significant amount of cash to layout.

How about a no-buying-tires rule? Bring anything you want, but must have a minimum of 25% wear from original specs? Let everyone use tires they already have, and don’t allow ANYONE to use sticker tires. I can see the math here… mandating these tires, at the cost quoted (which seems pretty accurate), make it a no-win situation for anyone in the field, including the winner.

[I]All Cars must weigh 1350 right side
8’’ rims
Hoosier 650 rightside
Hoosier 450 left side
2 barrel carb.

I don’t care if you have 5 links, 600 hp motors ,Nasa shocks ,rocket power, fiberglass bodies,cams ect,thats all of the rules above[/I]

so youre saying that there is no total weight or LS % as long as te right is 1350?

feww questions reguarding rules

side boards, splitters,canards, gills, manual and self adjusting wings, and under body air defusers are all legal too?

not gonna throw me out for having on board swaybar and wedge adjustmants?

can i run without a roof?

25 laps for $400… this is a test to see how it is accepted I can tell you if the interest and the cars are there the purse will grow in future races. John in the past has paid out plenty of great purses and points funds. (I know because I handed out alot of those checks) Support the track and in turn it will support you. We are getting alot of positive talk about this race. I will try and get the answers you are asking in the coming days…stay tuned.

[QUOTE=Frasson118;100075]“have to deal with heats for no cash at all”…

If it were me, I’d welcome all the racing I can get on race night. How much cash do you get for practice nights? I’d rather run 3 heats for no cash, than 3 practice sessions for the same return.

You do make a good point though on the tires. It seems that with this tire rule, odds are stacked that you will have to buy them from the track, which is a significant amount of cash to layout.

How about a no-buying-tires rule? Bring anything you want, but must have a minimum of 25% wear from original specs? Let everyone use tires they already have, and don’t allow ANYONE to use sticker tires. I can see the math here… mandating these tires, at the cost quoted (which seems pretty accurate), make it a no-win situation for anyone in the field, including the winner.[/QUOTE]
O come on Jerry how much do you want them to spend. With that rule the in the know cars will buy the trickest tires and take them to…cant say his or there names and get then buffed and cambered then treated. Most of them have the same hoosher now so mandating does not cost most of the cars anything just a few and only one track in florida runs anything else.
Im old but not that old and i rember…the tire rule was to save buying the fastest tire every time some one found something faster than what you had.
I was caller open comp and it sucked. (1978) a goodyear was $190 and if you didnt have them stay home.Gary had a warehouse full of them.
The tires under the spec tire rule was $90 in 1985 and gas on the street was .80 . gas is $4.00 and tires are $116 i think. well talk to obma about gas and leave the tires alone.
the tire factories are dooing great on holding the price.

don62

Don62

I still don’t understand why we are not running the hard grooved Good Years.

More racers would show because they didn’t have to buy tires near as often.

Is the race tire business that lucrative to tracks?

or are they making more money with less racers buying tires more frequently?

gas is $4.00

[B][I]Here this afternoon it went up to 1.439 a LITER, let’s see:

1.439 X 3.76: $5.41 for 1 US Gal.[/I][/B]

Don… I don’t pretend to know the ins-and-outs of the tire business, nor do I know which tracks already use this tire. I just thought if they are trying to get cars from all over, let them run what they already have. If they DON’T have the Hoosier 350’s and 450’s, then they WOULD have to invest $450 in tires for a $400 to win race. The math doesn’t add up for out-of-area racers.

I knew it was a fart in the wind idea, but allowing nothing but used tires would allow ANYONE with a Sportsman a chance to race without a huge tire investment. Since this is an experimental idea anyways, why not get even MORE experimental.

If your tires air-up, bring it on…!!!

[B][I]Answers:
1.so youre saying that there is no total weight or LS % as long as te right is 1350?

yes

2.side boards, splitters,canards, gills, manual and self adjusting wings, and under body air defusers are all legal too?

yes

3.not gonna throw me out for having on board swaybar and wedge adjustmants?

no adjustments from inside the car this is really for full body cars they need to show up first then we will decide, our teck people ,This is basically so all sportsman cars can run together.This was meant for if one car had headers or a 4link or a different manifold they all could race together thats all.no left side,1350 right side no total weight so all cars meaning Sporstman can race ,it can’t be any clearer then that.

4.can i run without a roof? No
[/I][/B]

[QUOTE=Rick Anges;100182][B][I]Answers:
1.so youre saying that there is no total weight or LS % as long as te right is 1350?

yes

2.side boards, splitters,canards, gills, manual and self adjusting wings, and under body air defusers are all legal too?

yes

3.not gonna throw me out for having on board swaybar and wedge adjustmants?

no adjustments from inside the car this is really for full body cars they need to show up first then we will decide, our teck people ,This is basically so all sportsman cars can run together.This was meant for if one car had headers or a 4link or a different manifold they all could race together thats all.no left side,1350 right side no total weight so all cars meaning Sporstman can race ,it can’t be any clearer then that.

4.can i run without a roof? No
[/I][/B][/QUOTE]

ok so there are more rules then as originally stated.

[B]All Cars must weigh 1350 right side
8’’ rims
Hoosier 650 rightside
Hoosier 450 left side
2 barrel carb.

I don’t care if you have 5 links, 600 hp motors ,Nasa shocks ,rocket power, fiberglass bodies,cams ect,thats all of the rules above.This will tell who’s who about racing at Desoto Super Speedway.[/B]

Now we have to show up to get told we can or cannot run? Things are shakey already about how this is going. This makes me nervous. Thank you for trying though.

You saw the same things I did. Not sure that I would support an event that said ‘bring em out, then Tech will decide if you can run’. These clarifications, that aren’t in the original statement, tells me there is not as much leeway as was intended. Desoto didn’t think off all the loopholes people would find, and now are trying to close them back up.

This basic idea could be a very good one. But if it’s not pulled off successfully on the first shot, there won’t be a second shot at it. I believe a re-think is in order here. You can’t let guys pull out there only to have the Tech Dept say “that car isn’t what we had in mind”.

By the way Rick, your statement that “it can’t get any clearer than that” is mixed into a sentence that contradicts the original post. Now it must be full bodied, with roof, with no internally controlled devices… None of which were proposed in the original “rulebook”.

It’s getting more cloudy, than it is getting clearer…!

I believe the original premise was for sportsman cars and John didn’t specifically mention that. On board swaybar and wedge adjustments make sense because, in effect, they do change weight percentages and an adjustment just before the race could change the right side weight to below the minimum. Changing it back when the race is finished would make it appear legal.
I think this can still work. Keeping the purse lower should discourage some of the modifications mentioned. I thought of this originally and thought it might be an issue with a late model class, which would pay more, but I guess there’s enough interest in this particular race also. So I’d like to see John still try to do this and maybe do something to restrict it to the sportsman type of cars. Definitely don’t want to have people coming and then telling them they are not legal though. That will kill it.

The interest in this thread indicates there might be some interest in a few really open “run whatcha brung” type of races. I can see it now, a supermodified, running against a sportsman with big sideboards, running against a retired indy car. LOL

Jerry why not let the people who are thinking about actually running a car in this ask the questions?