Ignition box contradiction?

The original annoucement by Ricky Brooks was that all ignition systems must be the Crane Cams product, at each of several tracks, including Mobile Alabama.

I find this part interesting… the race at Mobile on Saturday night offered a $2000 BONUS by MSD if you won using their product. If they were being pushed to the curb by this new rule, WHY would they do this??? Apparently, this rule isn’t as iron-clad as was it was stated to be… and it doesn’t look like Mobile and Pensacola are following the new rules themselves.

Why would a manufacturer put up bonus money for a group of racers that they ‘supposedly’ can’t sell to…???

I am also a little confused by the new ignition box rule. As a matter of fact, a little suspicious. What’s next? Why is the Crane Cam piece more desirable?

Mobile did not want to be an Elite track I think.They welcome all igns Mallory MSD Crane ect.I think they wanted to keep getting all the cars possible without tearing out every MSD dual sytstem and rewiring almost every car.
The FUPS series has also stayed with the cars as they are.Good move in this time IMHO.

I think the Crane Cams spark box has an internal rev limiter, that eliminates the chance of having traction control through the pill like MSD uses. From what I’ve heard, you can get a Traction Control pill from Davis Technologies that you plug into the MSD box rev limiter pill receptacle. Leave the legal one in going out the gate, put the Davis one in sitting on the track, then pull it out and replace it before tech and put the cheater pill in your pocket. Why not just outlaw MSD boxes? I used to use a Holley Dominator spark box with an internal rev limiter. They were bullet-proof, unlike the MSD ones. Also maybe the Bonus was for other MSD products (coils, distributors, plug wires, etc.). Anyone who uses electronic traction control has no confidence in themselves as a driver, in my opinion. Every driver has traction control, it’s called your RIGHT FOOT!!!

Scott, I’ve never had a problem with MSD. The one in my Modified is 12 years old and I have had them in other cars I’ve had over the years. Like I said earlier, just make everyone run an old dual point dist. I still have a couple of them (ACCEL and Mallory).

I’ve never owned one, but I’ve seen other people have them fail. I’m not down on MSD. They definitely make good stuff or the majority of NASCAR (money is no object) teams wouldn’t be running them. Whatever they want to do doesn’t matter, I think that rule changes mid-season are bullsh*t. I think this rule change is not about the boxes failing, I think it is about shutting up whiners, IMO. The argument that because you run Super Late Model means you can afford to do it is crap. :mad:

Tommy… Mobile and Five Flags are both listed as ‘elite’ tracks, and both allowed the MSD systems this past weekend. I find it a bit suspect that our local tracks are supposed to comply immediately, yet the tracks in Ricky’s back yard aren’t complying.

By the way, Bubba Pollard DID win a $2000 bonus for using an MSD ignition system.

I think it’s not immediately. I beliefe it is required by 6-23-12. Strange thing is I have a Crane box in my Super, but it’s the wrong part number and not mounted in the place they want it. Regardless it still means rewiring the car. Plus what is a “Elite” track?

Yes he did. I have never had a MSD box fail and I have had a bunch of them the ones I have are cup and nationwide take outs. I did have 1 bad MSD in one of Mac’s cars but they welded on the car with everthing connected.You can put traction cntrl on an ants back with the technology that is availible now. I have seen them but I have never owned one of any kind. my best TC I ever had was in Darryl Shelnut’s right foot. the Elite track thing was sarcasism did not work I guess. it was in the first post about which tracks were trying make us change all our stuff.

The pill was not the problem. All it takes is a piece of security tape and tech will know if it has been tampered. The problem was the ability to override the rev limiter in the digital box allowing higher RPM’s and more gear.

everybody wants an explanation. Fascar has posted Rickys phone number call him leave a message he will call you back and get him to explain from the source. i’m not sticking up for anyone cause i hate the new rule we have to by boxes, rewire, etc. I personally feel it’s a bad thing to change mid season BUT the coice is comply or don’t race.

Rusty

[QUOTE=rusty47711;106037]everybody wants an explanation. Fascar has posted Rickys phone number call him leave a message he will call you back and get him to explain from the source. i’m not sticking up for anyone cause i hate the new rule we have to by boxes, rewire, etc. I personally feel it’s a bad thing to change mid season BUT the choice is comply or don’t race.

Rusty[/QUOTE]

Good point, call the man. That would be easy.

Dont bitch if you dont have a ride in this class.
Who knows whats up. It might just work out but 1 thing is for sure some of you have reason to coment . Just looking for something to cry about. As a fan you should care less what kind of box they have. If you (tommy) have a car then get one or tell them your staying home.
Now youl have some thing to cry about.

Don 62

As usual… Don… you missed the point.

Pensacola is doing the ignition deadline 6-22-12 which is the next Blizzard race. The bonus at mobile was a spite deal to try and screw it up but it didnt work.

Thanks for the explanation Ricky. It sounded fishy, and it was. I couldn’t see any reason to throw $2000 at racers than CAN’T buy their products, other than to get some people politicing in their corner.

Now Crane should step up and do some kind of contingency awards themselves. On the other hand, why would they… they have captive customers as it is.

Barbara at Orlando Speedworld called me yesterday, inviting me to the 25 lap race Friday. She also told me that we do not have to run the Crane ignition system in the regular shows.

Yep i missed it ok see if you get my point…
point…you dont have a car so stay out of it.
Ricky is not asking you to buy a box and that was my point.
Don62

She also told me that we do not have to run the Crane ignition system in the regular shows.

So, the Crane box only needs to be run in, what, the FUPS, or…? For “Regular Orlando SLM shows”, it’s not required, or what?

I know someone that sure don’t have the 300 bucks to just throw into a race car mid-season, and they’d be happy to hear this…

It’s $400.00 Jimmy. Or as Race Ready Parts sells it for $399.87.