A few trivia questions

Announcer Dave, give everyone else a chance.

Name 3 racing classes, past or present, that are named after weather related phenomena.

Name at least 2 Florida speedways that have, or had, lakes in the infield.

Bruce Everett raced SLM, and every weekend he put at least 350 miles on his tow vehicle. What type of vehicle was it?

There was a second race track located right next to Collier County Speedway. What was it called and what raced there?

Remember any racers without a winner? I can think of two…

For many years, there was a doctor from San Antonio, Texas who flew in to race at New Smyrna. What was his name?

Name a driver (still active) with the nickname “The Mauler”.

Answers

1. Hurricanes/Tornados/ Thunder Car
    2.The Infield Lake at Orlando Speedworld(lol) turn 3/4.Mid 90’S
  2. El Camino
    Thats A start…:aetsch013:

“Thunder car”, ok you got me on that one. The question should have been “name 4 weather related classes”! Yes, there is another.

Technically Orlando had a swamp, so I have to throw that answer out.

Nope, Bruce didn’t use an El Camino.

Eau Gallie speedway and DIS come to mind as having lakes. Cyclone for the other class .

Bruce’s ‘hauler’ was a '74 Monte Carlo… and almost always, his entire ‘crew’, was his dog.

Was The Mauler, George Murphy?

A guess on the Collier County question… was it the Naples Motorsport Park ( or something like that), where they raced the Swamp Buggy’s? I thought I read at one time they were on the same property.

Cyclone is what I was thinking of. Maybe there are more.

Eau Gallie was a bit before my time, and I never made it there. I thought they had some sort of gator pit outside one of the corners?

Jerry, you are right about Bruce’s Monte Carlo, and his little dog too. He estimated that the car had over 300,000 miles, and most of it was spent towing!

You are close on George. Announcer Dave used to call him George “the Animal” Murphy, like the TV wrestler of those days.

Yes, the swamp buggy track was next to the old Collier County Speedway. In fact, the used to move the stands from one track to another. What was the nickname of the track?

Eau Gallie did have a lake in the middle… So did West Palm… OSW had Little Lake Bithlo from late June through mid September… The “gator pit” was off turn three at Ft. Pierce Speedway…

Yep, Palm Beach had a big ole’ lake, and more than a few cars got washed in it.

Ok, 3 left: races without a winner, the Doc from SA, and who the heck is “The Mauler”?

the old punta gorda racetrack had a pond in the middle. it was located just off hwy 41.

Hialeah Speedway also had a lake in the middle. It was filled in during the 1960’s?

Yes, the swamp buggy track was next to the old Collier County Speedway. In fact, the used to move the stands from one track to another. What was the nickname of the track?
Mile of Mud

Name at least 2 Florida speedways that have, or had, lakes in the infield.

Just about all of them in the Summer!
Daytona Homestead PBIR/Moroso

Bruce Everett raced SLM, and every weekend he put at least 350 miles on his tow vehicle. What type of vehicle was it?

Caddy?

Ding ding ding! “Mile O’ Mud” is what I was looking for.

As Frasson and others pointed out, Bruce used a old, ratty looking Monte Carlo. I drove it once, and can assure you it drove just as nicely as you would expect a passenger car to drive that has 300,000 towing miles on it. By the way, Bruce had a perfectly nice dually truck, but he just preferred to use the Monte.

swamp buggy.jpg

The Mauler is Ron McCreary

The Mauler is Ron MsCreary

All right! dd38 wins a years supply of Rice-A-Roni and a jumbo canned ham.

Works for me! Where do I pick it up or do you deliver?

McCreary is “the Mauler”…? Never would have gotten that. Ron is more like the guy that would buy 12 guys a beer, long before he’d fight 1.

One HELL of a guy… but just ask him sometime about going airboating with Hoot Flynn. NONE of us will forget that deal