Another fun night at Melbourne Motorsports Park !!

With racing going on all over the state, MMP grabbed their share of the motor sports audience with a great crowd on Saturday night. 13 or so 4cyl signed in with at least 4 of em being “first timers”. The field was divided into 2 heats, then 2 features. The top 3 in each feature was invited back out for the “Dash for Cash”. I’ll let someone in the “know” talk about who sponsored what. I do know it was a nice purse.
My son, Jeff Gross(AKA “Cake” on this board) was one of the rookies in a “90” Cavalier. He bought the car the night before from Jeff and Megan Matheny. A third in the heat, third in the feature (led 12 laps !!), and 4th in the “big show” was one hell of a first night !!!

I’m not sure why,but still a struggle to get the V8 class going. Zach Curtis and James Skinner showed everyone that this class is FUN !!!

[QUOTE=palmbayer;121194]With racing going on all over the state, MMP grabbed their share of the motor sports audience with a great crowd on Saturday night. 13 or so 4cyl signed in with at least 4 of em being “first timers”. The field was divided into 2 heats, then 2 features. The top 3 in each feature was invited back out for the “Dash for Cash”. I’ll let someone in the “know” talk about who sponsored what. I do know it was a nice purse.
My son, Jeff Gross(AKA “Cake” on this board) was one of the rookies in a “90” Cavalier. He bought the car the night before from Jeff and Megan Matheny. A third in the heat, third in the feature (led 12 laps !!), and 4th in the “big show” was one hell of a first night !!!

I’m not sure why,but still a struggle to get the V8 class going. Zach Curtis and James Skinner showed everyone that this class is FUN !!![/QUOTE]

Really glad the 4 cyls are doin so good. Its a lot cheaper to run, less complicated. Everyone know racing has evolved int a very expensive hobby, kinda like fishing I guess, what with the cost of board and everything else but thats another story. Sure hope this little track does well, gonna have to come visit soon. Thanks for the update!

good job to jeff megan loved that car iam glad good people
got this car it has always been a good car seen alot of action
good luck in the furture
ps i still got the lincoln for sale it is a good car also
thanks megan and jeff :huepfen024::huepfen024:

It was definitely a good night! Was great to see all the fans out there inspite of the chilling weather. The Warner Family from The Guardrail Grill out at the track sponsored the Dash for Cash race this past Saturday. Brian, the guy who does the pictures for the track, announced that he will be donating an additional $100 to each purse at our next race on 3/2/13. Not sure if the plan is to race another Dash for Cash for the additional $100 or how they’re going to work that. Will have to wait and see I guess. Hopefully we can get some more drivers and fans out there.

Racing again tomorrow night. Gates open at 4pm, racing at 7pm for anyone who wants to come join us in the fun!

A V-8 class? Low car count? I can probably give you an idea why. Because manufacturers (Ford, Chevy, Honda, Hyundai, etc.) don’t produce - or have never produced - a V-8-powered, rear-wheel-drive sedan/coupe any more. You can’t hardly find 'em even in a junkyard. All the old Chevelles/Monte Carlos/Cutlasses/Thunderbirds/big Lincolns/etc. from the '70s and '80s have disappeared into the wind. Nowadays, cars are pretty much disposable. V6’s and 4-cylinders a-plenty in scrap yards and auto-salvage yards.

Like someone said in an earlier post for this place, think about bringing in mini-Sprints, four-wheelers, or go-karts (if the surface ain’t too bad).

i got a 90 lincoln for sale race ready check my add
800.00 would make a good dirt car

[QUOTE=Jimmy McKinley;122046]A V-8 class? Low car count? I can probably give you an idea why. Because manufacturers (Ford, Chevy, Honda, Hyundai, etc.) don’t produce - or have never produced - a V-8-powered, rear-wheel-drive sedan/coupe any more. You can’t hardly find 'em even in a junkyard. All the old Chevelles/Monte Carlos/Cutlasses/Thunderbirds/big Lincolns/etc. from the '70s and '80s have disappeared into the wind. Nowadays, cars are pretty much disposable. V6’s and 4-cylinders a-plenty in scrap yards and auto-salvage yards.

Like someone said in an earlier post for this place, think about bringing in mini-Sprints, four-wheelers, or go-karts (if the surface ain’t too bad).[/QUOTE]

They’ve called the mini sprint guys a couple of times to see if they’d like to come out, but never get a return call. They’d love to do a 6 cyl class also but nobody seems to want to put a roll cage in the cars. They’ve discussed and decided against 4 wheelers because they’d be a little too dangerous out there with the guardrails and concrete barriers. If someone got thrown from their bike it could be pretty ugly. They are working on a go kart and camaro/nova class but need a few more cars. I’d love to see a 6 cyl class get going. They’re everywhere and putting in a 4 pt roll cage doesn’t seem like it would be that big of a deal.

[QUOTE=TammyC;122105]They’ve discussed and decided against 4 wheelers because they’d be a little too dangerous out there with the guardrails and concrete barriers. If someone got thrown from their bike it could be pretty ugly.[/QUOTE]Ever see Speedway/short track dirt bike (motorcycle) racing? No brakes. All b***s.

I’ve never been much into motorcycle or dirt bike racing, but I’ve seen a few. Agree… all b***s. I prefer the security of an enclosed car around me while I’m driving, racing or not. I wont even drive or ride on a bike on the road, and certainly would never race one lol. I’ve had four wheelers and dirt bikes my whole life and love riding out in the woods but wouldn’t catch me on one out on the streets with drivers in much larger cars that don’t pay enough attention. Most all bike/ATV racing I’ve seen though have some sort of safer/softer barrier, no barrier, a wider track, or at least a wide run off area in the turns. This track has none of these things. It’s the track’s decision on it though, not mine. I was just letting you know that they had discussed it and decided against it. For now anyway. Who knows what the future holds. If they get enough interested maybe they’ll decide to make modifications to run them.