Accidnt or cover up?????

It’s racing, you hate to see anybody hurt that’s for sure but it is what it is. I’m sure they’ll improve on the fencing and such. I got hit in the face by a muffler clamp off a car at speed world during a race one time. Felt like Tyson punched me in the face. Then dang it if the next week I didn’t get whacked by a lug nut at volusia. We all have put our own selves in danger knowingly like …(racing in a strictly stock with a seat belt or no racing suit, walking behind a horse or roller coaster etc) I could go on and on.

[QUOTE=Matt Albee;121603]When we were at NSS last weekend my friend commented on the fact that there was just about nothing protecting the fans from the cars. What looks like exhaust tubing for poles, chicken wire for fencing, and very small diameter cable held in place by very rusty muffler clamps. Yep, muffler clamps.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see some reporting on the safety aspects of local short tracks.[/QUOTE]
Before i left NSS we bought enough fence (the righ stuff) at the laneland track aucton.
I took it down and transported it to the speedway. The fence is snow fence and it the best u can buy. We also bought all the poles .
Im sure some of the fence has been instaled.

don62

NSS fencing is pretty stout…and now they have actually put another fence about 5 feet from the track fence in the corners…I saw a TBARA sprint car try and take down the fencing at the end of the front stretch a few yrs ago during a practice…the fence, surprisingly held up quite well…

Things happen…you can’t protect everyone from everything…this philosophy is one of the reasons our government is such a disaster…I am sure it will cost DIS and NASCAR a couple of million in payoffs…lets move on

[QUOTE=Don Nerone;121637]Before i left NSS we bought enough fence (the righ stuff) at the laneland track aucton.
I took it down and transported it to the speedway. The fence is snow fence and it the best u can buy. We also bought all the poles .

don62[/QUOTE]

Man, I hope it wasn’t snow fence. The only snow fences I know are made of wood lathe or plastic. Chain link is probably the best if it’s cabled correctly. There’s a strong fence that has larger openings that is pretty decent but a lot of debris can get through. I’ll call it sheep fencing because it’s similar in design, but it isn’t made for sheeps. Again, it needs to be cabled correctly. I think Daytona’s fence was really good but the crossover gate was not anywhere near adequate. That gave way and allowed the car to hit the post, tearing it apart. It’s like a window in a wall. I think the best barrier is a fence like many tracks presently have, with another fence located about 4 feet or more, away from it. That prevents spectators from standing on the fence and provides an additional layer of protection. Maybe we could use Bulletproof glass all around the track, like a hockey rink. I sure wouldn’t want the job of keeping it clean though. Safety fencing hasn’t changed much in 30+ years at many short tracks. That’s what needs addressing. Daytona and the other Nascar tracks will fix theirs on their own. BTW,I also remember watching a tire jump a high fence on a 1/4 mile track when I was young. It hit a woman in front of us. I was about 10 and I never forgot it.

Show feince that is made od 8 gage galv wire in a tyed woven tryangle that looks like chain lenk fence. Its the same thing the supper speedway use now.
this is the fence that we used at USA Speedway in lakelaand…DA WING DING!

Show feince that is made od 8 gage galv wire in a tyed woven tryangle that looks like chain lenk fence. Its the same thing the supper speedway use now.
this is the fence that we used at USA Speedway in lakelaand…DA WING DING!

I knew you didn’t mean snow fence. I think we’re talking about the same thing. I don’t know the proper name either.

The Lakeland fence was not triangular in shape snow fence. It was heavy gauge chain link fence.

It WAS snow fence, and it worked great. I never once saw snow at Lakeland Speedway.

I think I just peed a little, that is funny.

The humor is great tonight.

Yes it looks loke chane link but reg chane link fence is to hard to look threw so we found this wire. It was rge same wire that rhe big tracks were buying and yes they called it snow fence.
Its used on overpass and bridges. They havent used wood in many years and judt how old are u

[QUOTE=Don Nerone;121637]Before i left NSS we bought enough fence (the righ stuff) at the laneland track aucton.

don62[/QUOTE]

I kinda remember the fence at Lakeland, the NSS version sure didn’t look like it though. And even if the fence is top quality, the poles and cables have to be also. And they absolutely didn’t look to be. I think the cable running along the length of the fence on the frontstretch at NSS was only connecting one fence post to the next, not anchored to anything. I could be wrong about that, but i do know it didn’t seem sturdy at all. After the crash at DIS, and with NSS now a NASCAR track, i’ll bet the Daytona news paper will be out at there with a photographer checking the safety.
I know a NASCAR sanction brings NASCAR insurance, so i wonder how much say they’ll have in up grading the safety features at New Smyrna.