Two nights a week?

I am going to point this question directly towards any of the race track promoters/Public Relation people who might stumble across this thread in the hopes that they will respond,since I have been on the racing side of the deal but never on the promoter/track operation side of it.Is there any way possible a BLACKTOP track in Florida could race twice a week?I know city/county ordinances could possibly block that idea but I don’t know speciffacly anybodys situation when it comes to that.Everybody wants to run Saturday nights anymore but a Sunday late afternoon card with 3 or 4 classes could be run and completed before you ever even had to fire up the track lights limiting one big expense.At least during the warmer months when it stays daylight later.Tracks up north used to do it back in the way back machine and usually draw okay crowds on the “secondary” night.Auburndale ran an off night card a few weeks back,but then not on their usual Saturday night.I wasn’t there so I have no idea what the crowd was like.I do know when the PASS race rained out in January at A-DALE the crowd that showed up the next day (a Sunday afternoon)was maybe even a little bigger than what showed up the previous night.I know there is more employee expense along with a few other things involved but it also brings in an extra nights revenue along with other people who may have other commitments (such as work,remember not everyone in the world works a monday-Friday job)and wouldn’t ordinarily have a chance to go

I can remember when the west-coast tracks had enough cars to fill up two nights of racing.

Friday night would be the Late Models, Street Stocks, Hurricanes, and maybe mini-stocks at one track. Then on Saturday, they’d head across the bay.

The Sprint cars, early models, Tornadoes, and Figure 8’s would then run the other track on the opposite nights. They’d start “across the bay” on Friday; then the other track on Saturday.

So everyone got to race two nights a week.

I’m sure I don’t have the correct classes listed…LOL…but…someone I’m sure will correct me.

Golden Gate and Sunshine knew how to cooperate with each other, do you see Ocala(Bubba) being able to align with anyone else? Maybe East Bay if you believe in fantasy sports games.

Different nights

For a time Golden Gate ran Friday and saturday nights.
Bubba’s and Eastbay could never work together.

two nights a week?

[QUOTE=racer75;124203]For a time Golden Gate ran Friday and saturday nights.
Bubba’s and Eastbay could never work together.[/QUOTE]

Yeah,ask any program director or Gm at any of Bubba’s former employers.Love Sponge,indeed NOT!!!

the problem with an afternoon race in FL is the heat. It’s why NASCAR tracks spent millions to put up lights.

Tracks working together is a great idea, but afternoon racing won’t work.

[QUOTE=sbracer58;124634]the problem with an afternoon race in FL is the heat. It’s why NASCAR tracks spent millions to put up lights.

Tracks working together is a great idea, but afternoon racing won’t work.[/QUOTE]

The setting sun blinds drivers at most tracks in the afternoon. Racing under the lights is the way to go in Florida, cooler temps and drivers can see where they are going.

I’d like to see a Winter Series of afternoon shows. The temps would be manageable, where too many races are just toooooo cold to attend at night in Nov, Dec, Jan & Feb.

The Gov. Cup race is the only late-season race that I will attend with no regard to temperature. Every other race is subject to the cold weather forecast.

Well i do understand both issues

But I think you have some of those same issues in late May,all of June and even September.Besides,my point wasn’t just about racing during the day so much as adding additional dates to bring in more revenue for the track owners/promoters.In this age of ridiculous costs with everything related to operating a race track,itjust seems like even getting to the break even point is pie in the sky thinking for anyone trying to operate any venue that relies on a mere 4 days a month.And remember in the month of June it stays light out until almost 10 pm and EVERYBODY tries to have they’re Saturday programs wrapped up by 11 pm anyway.

When I came down to Florida, I asked the same questions. The heat and afternoon thunderstorms really kill the afternoon racing during the summer. I agree with Jerry about racing in the winter in the day. The point you make about only making money 4 nights a month is valid. A race track needs to have other events going on to make some money, IMO which isn’t worth anything. This is why you see East Bay, Volusia, Bubba’s, New Smyrna, and even North Florida hosting winternational races. They make their money during those events to keep the tracks afloat the rest of the year. Maybe not North Florida but the others probably. Volusia’s owners feel it more profitable to shut the track down for the rest of the year after making their money during speedweeks. The tracks can make more money putting on special events like crash-o-rama, Monster trucks, or school bus races than they can racing a weekly program.