Orlando fix stupid

So we see every one on here telling the owners whats missing at the tracks.
here is some of the things that havent seemed to work so far

OSW
Clean and new restrooms
OSW built new ones in the grandstands for the women.$20,000 worth
The purse was doubbled
Had the best web site
Had a full time person on the phone

Now a new promoter
new officals
new nights
different adv

All of these things are good ideas but still nothing has changed.
There has to be a reason to go spend ur hard earned money and just another race wont do it in these hard times.
The race fan can get a lot more for there time and money on there couch at home!
As a old racer told me one time
If there isent enything hapning them make something happen.
The fan that you nead is a new young group of people that dont know that this board is here.
If the track has to make it with only these fans it over already
Come on take a big swing andvuse a big bat.
It time to Rockem Sockem Stock car race…
try som thing new.
Good luck

don62

… Not to be mean… But don’t you think your suggestions would be taken more seriously if they where coherent?

Dons coherency isn’t the problem as much as his inability to tell an accurate story.

The restrooms there are the same ones that have been there for 30 years.
“Best web-site” actually means it was piggybacked off of the Fascar web-site, using the exact same format at New Smyrnas.
Had a full time person answering phones… can’t think of a single time in all these years that someone actually answered a call, other than late Friday afternoons.
“New nights” - Other than a FAST Series race a few years ago, and the recent rainout for the Sprint cars, the track has always run on Fridays. The exception being when Rusty Marcus was running an additional show on Saturdays for the smaller & entry level classes (Legends, Bandos, Scramblers, etc.).

Not sure where Don comes up with this stuff, but he obviously didn’t have the answers when he was in charge.

Don’t take advice on how to do it right, from someone who already got it wrong.

BIG Sunday-afternoon show. Super Late Models. Draw for heat races. Start fast guys in the back (or at least, from fifteenth on back, IF that many cars show up). 200 lapper, no “mandatory” break. Pit stops like the old days, on the Figure 8 “X”.

I’m tellin’ ya.

Memorial Day weekend up here, tracks were running Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, AND Monday nights - that all normally run just Friday or Saturday. Many different tracks, nearly the same rules, near-full crowds at every track, and full fields of cars. Five or six divisions, tops. Dirt AND asphalt.

I think a lot of it, too, has to do with the fact that up here, we can’t run 48 weeks a year. The season is fairly short compared to down south - start in the middle/late April (some tracks even early May), and done by mid- to late September. Even in May, we had some tracks cancel due to “cold weather” (in the 50s?!..LOL).

Spend some money on getting the word out to the general public. I don’t think that much “regular” Orlando traffic runs on 50 past the race track. get some billboards up on I-4 east and west of Orlando (up near Daytona/Deltona/Sanford/DeBary, and then down by Kissimmee/Celebration/Disney/theme parks). Put out full-size ads in the Sentinel (was looking through the paper here over the weekend; three different tracks advertising in Friday and Saturday’s paper <one track’s ad had last week’s feature winners in Late Models and Modifieds>, and Sunday’s paper had results from the “local” track). Radio ads on more than one station. TV ads on the “network” and “cable” stations.

It’s been said before: “How do you make a millions dollars in racing? Spend two million.”

Actually, the best two years ever for OSW were from mid-1985 through late-1987 (when Clyde Hart bought the property) - The man running the show at that time was Don Nerone… Never saw so many cars and the racing was awesome…

We’ve been down this road before and nobody ever listens. But I guess we can’t give up because in my opinion Orlando is the best surface in the state to race on. Here’s my (and many other’s before) two cents:

Clean Ladies Rest Rooms!
Tight Show with HANDICAPPING!
October to May Racing Season (More Snowbirds, Less Rain).
Good Reasonably Priced Food.
Abandon the failed NASCAR experiment and race on Saturdays.
Alternate SLM, PLM, OWM, to headline and add Sportsman, Street Stock, Strictly Stock and Minis AND THATS IT.
BRING BACK BARBARA AND BUTCH!
Fix the weeping problem.
Advertise to the throngs of tourists and offer free busses from the hotel areas with a free beer for the ride!
Crash-A-Rama once a month with Enduros.
Make each “real” racing event a Special event with extra-distance for a class or TBRA or FUPS events.

Ozzie, are you listening?

Really…we enjoy this track. Race food is race food… Just clean the bathrooms, advertise, and treat the driver right so they show up… IMO… The owner/mgr cares more about the drag strip

Dave, you are right about those years…i was there.

Katlizy, the drag strip MAKES money.

Benny, I bet it does… I’ve seen the line to get in there. We want the oval to make some too…

Don Nerone said:

There has to be a reason to go spend ur hard earned money and just another race wont do it in these hard times.
The race fan can get a lot more for there time and money on there couch at home!

There’s a lot of truth in this statement. As a long time race fan, I hate to admit it’s easier, much cheaper, and more entertaining to sit home for me. I don’t know if it’s old age catching up, the quality of weekly Florida racing, or something else. I used to go to races a couple times a week and to quite a few midweek shows. Mid-week shows almost always had great car counts and full stands. Weekly shows usually had full car counts and maybe not quite so full stands. Races were usually pretty good and there was excitement about going to the track. Sure, occasionally everyone has a show that’s bad but they were the exception. I just don’t get that feeling any more.

Hubby and I travel around on Saturdays… Driving over three hours just to see a race

[SIZE=“5”][SIZE=“6”]The guys/gals who put on the show are in the pits…You are never going to fill the pits or even attract more participants charging $25/30 bucks a person [/SIZE][/SIZE]

:ernaehrung004:

[QUOTE=kendo;128177][SIZE=“5”][SIZE=“6”]The guys/gals who put on the show are in the pits…You are never going to fill the pits or even attract more participants charging $25/30 bucks a person [/SIZE][/SIZE]

:ernaehrung004:[/QUOTE]

That is the standard fee at all tracks

And most asphalt tracks in Florida lack participants…My point exactly…

What Orlando needs…GO DIRT…Short Track High Banks Been sayin it for 2yrs now.The Fl Mini Sprints In Orlandos back Yard is the BIGGEST touring group and has 25 to 30 cars per event.Your inbetween Tampa, VSP, ocala and Putnam.NO RAIN OUTs Per a little drencher,Run Sundays…Orlando needs to shake up the Dice…
Come on MAN they run Banderos…I applaud there efforts BUT to include on a Fri show…The Biggest class is Strictly Stock…Perfect to convert to Dirt What gets people goin is ACTION…IE Crash and Bash,
Dirt does the same…

Rob

[QUOTE=rhinoracing11;128182]What Orlando needs…GO DIRT…Short Track High Banks Been sayin it for 2yrs now.The Fl Mini Sprints In Orlandos back Yard is the BIGGEST touring group and has 25 to 30 cars per event.Your inbetween Tampa, VSP, ocala and Putnam.NO RAIN OUTs Per a little drencher,Run Sundays…Orlando needs to shake up the Dice…
Come on MAN they run Banderos…I applaud there efforts BUT to include on a Fri show…The Biggest class is Strictly Stock…Perfect to convert to Dirt What gets people goin is ACTION…IE Crash and Bash,
Dirt does the same…

Rob[/QUOTE]

Dude,I agree with you 110% but you wont get any support on this forum,mostly grey haired asphalt guys on here :aetsch013:

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

[QUOTE=Frasson118;128140]Dons coherency isn’t the problem as much as his inability to tell an accurate story.

The restrooms there are the same ones that have been there for 30 years.
“Best web-site” actually means it was piggybacked off of the Fascar web-site, using the exact same format at New Smyrnas.
Had a full time person answering phones… can’t think of a single time in all these years that someone actually answered a call, other than late Friday afternoons.
“New nights” - Other than a FAST Series race a few years ago, and the recent rainout for the Sprint cars, the track has always run on Fridays. The exception being when Rusty Marcus was running an additional show on Saturdays for the smaller & entry level classes (Legends, Bandos, Scramblers, etc.).

Not sure where Don comes up with this stuff, but he obviously didn’t have the answers when he was in charge.

Don’t take advice on how to do it right, from someone who already got it wrong.[/QUOTE]

The womens restrooms in the grandstands were built new in 2003. every thing new.
The ones in the pits were done in 1998 ask butch pierce he did them
And Jerry i just read on here ware Barb was answering the phones.
When i ran OSW it had great car counts(150 or better) and fair but not great fan count(600).
I did fail at Golden Gate and Lakecity. All the rest were a least good and some great.
Olrando was one of the places that car counts was alwase good.
Maybe u will wake up someday…
Dont take advice from Jerry he never got it at all

Don62

Wow all this and the track has just changed hands. I hope as a racer the track helps itself with the issues brought up, but on the other hand they always had a pretty good show at least the ones i attended as a racer and fan. Just wish the place could bring in the fans in grandstands. Was there 2 weeks ago and untill the rain came look to have a crowd building up for the night. If no one gives these people a chance we will be short another track and the last thing we need is another dirt track

It would make a great dirt track.
The car counts at the dirt track is down also.
They are better than the ashfalt tracks but most of them 1/2 of what they had 10 years ago.
All of short tracks in florida and most of the south are in a slump now. 30 night season
are hard for the racer and fan. Ad 6 to 12 more speedweeks shows per year.
I hope that OSW can servive also.
They have to go for it or give up…

Don62