Honestly, Why did you quit racing ?

To the drivers that have quit racing,

Please tell the reason or reasons you quit racing. Honest answers are appreciated so tracks and other drivers can understand and possibly make improvements to grow car counts back up and make racing better for everyone.

I said this in another thread
If you survey the drivers that have quit racing, you will find a common issue that can’t be fixed. They all have a few reasons but there is one or two in common.

Here’s a hint - you can’t fix stupid and money don’t grow on trees.

I quit because of message board know-it-alls. Money and time were not an issue, but the constant bickering was too much to bear.

I quit because of all the two-faced, backstabbing that went on in racing. Everyone was out to get everyone and totally forgot why they loved racing in the first place, it got to be no fun. I have gone to a few races and I hope to go to more this year and write stories on the tracks and their stars for my website which I have kept up totally because I have all respect for the racer. I always believed that after their hard work, it should be recognized.

I know what it costs them to race every weekend and I totally respect that. But I needed a break from all the rest - name calling, back stabbing, two faced people who said they were your friend but would burn you at the stake if it served their purpose. That is why I quit. People lost their respect for each other and found it easier to bash each other on a message board instead of talking to each other like adults.

As for some racers who are gone now, it was money and the biggest thing was favoritism at the tracks. If you weren’t a golden boy, they did not feel appreciated and everyone needs to feel appreciated and needed when they spend their hard earned money at any track.

You asked for honesty and I hope you have it. Not to hurt anyone at all but when the fun goes out of something you love, you quit doing it and that goes for anything we do for fun. And that is just my two-cents.

You say that jokingly, but there is some truth to it. The world has changed drastically since the Internet came around. What once was a few guys complaining late at night in the privacy of their garage has become public knowledge and discussion. However, some driver disputes create drama that fans and other drivers will surely follow. They may even go to a race to see what happens on track between bickering drivers. Drama sells, that’s why television is so popular.

So, that’s one that can’t be fixed. We can’t close the Internet and we can’t sensor everything that is said on all message boards.

[QUOTE=Jane;128417]I quit because of all the two-faced, backstabbing that went on in racing. Everyone was out to get everyone and totally forgot why they loved racing in the first place, it got to be no fun. I have gone to a few races and I hope to go to more this year and write stories on the tracks and their stars for my website which I have kept up totally because I have all respect for the racer. I always believed that after their hard work, it should be recognized.

I know what it costs them to race every weekend and I totally respect that. But I needed a break from all the rest - name calling, back stabbing, two faced people who said they were your friend but would burn you at the stake if it served their purpose. That is why I quit. People lost their respect for each other and found it easier to bash each other on a message board instead of talking to each other like adults.

As for some racers who are gone now, it was money and the biggest thing was favoritism at the tracks. If you weren’t a golden boy, they did not feel appreciated and everyone needs to feel appreciated and needed when they spend their hard earned money at any track.

You asked for honesty and I hope you have it. Not to hurt anyone at all but when the fun goes out of something you love, you quit doing it and that goes for anything we do for fun. And that is just my two-cents.[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU ! That’s exactly what I’m looking for, honest reasons.

Lets file that under “you can’t fix stupid” because those people that caused you to take a break, are a problem that can’t be fixed.

There were significant changes in my business in 2008. I lost half my income and still have only improved that by 20% as of last year. I had 2 complete SLM, 2 spare motors, pit box, golf cart, misc parts, 18ft open trailer & 44ft goose neck trailer. Everything had to be sold to pay bills. We now have obtained an OWM but haven’t been able to finish it to go racing again yet. My health issues have not helped this situation either as I lost my health insurance in 2009. We are trying to get back racing to spend less money and want to get back into a super when we can afford it. Till then we will try to be back with the OWM. Team LRE SLM#8

1. bad promoters, with bad attitudes and favortism.

2. lack of good orginized tech.

3. lack of consistant calls on and off track.

4. being told they are going to cut the purse because not enough cars showed up, and blaming the drivers.

5. rough drivers. zero give and take.

Thanks, Joe

hmm

tho i respect anyone who answers questions posted i find it odd to think anyone would quit racing due to any forum site. Racers race… i think the economy has had a huge impact on racing. Tracks have been deteriorating and the money just isnt flowing in for repairs to tracks or car sponsorship…just my opinion. I think alot of people stopped posting because of things Jane said but I dont think they would stop racing. I also think the tracks should work together more to make things easier on racers. tires, rules, etc…
carol wicks :auto003:

Bubba, I never knew you raced. I assume you are kidding with your answer, but seriously anyone who would really quit because of internet BS is just looking for an excuse to stop.

Although I love the sport and will not give up on it, there have been times when I would not bring people with me. If the facilities were terrible or the show was weak, I didn’t invite new people along. They would just get turned off and wonder why I like it so much.

I’ve always stayed in a class that I could afford, did most of the work myself, and never traveled much until the last few years. Racing has been great for 26 seasons now.

I quit racing because of the way the tracks were ran and the drama. Track promoters need racecar as well as we need racetracks but some owners /promoters cannot get that thru there heads. Also I was tired of track owners/promoters/track officials showing favortism.

Biggest reason I RETIRED was to raise my son and have more family time. 40 weeks on the schedule for 10 years was enough.

Also all the drama, I like you, I hate you, I want to crash you…

what happened to good clean racing

Mike

I quit because I was 2EZ2PASS…:grinser010:

Because innovation was almost completely removed from racing. Now, to go racing in one of the premiere short track classes you have to purchase a chassis, and a body, and an engine. Unless you’re planning to run a Pure Stock. Any class higher than that has rules that make only one combination competitive, or makes you purchase every single item to conform to the rules. You want to go faster, put a better cam in it. No, wait. That makes you illegal for the class. Put on a better carb or intake manifold. No, that’s also illegal for your class. Well, maybe add a fuel cell so you don’t burn to death. Nope, that’s illegal in some classes. Bigger tires, not allowed in your class.
I think that was a big part of early stock car racing, the satisfaction of building something that was faster than your competition. Now, you just have to be able to outspend your rivals. And many racers don’t find that very satisfying.

Because innovation was almost completely removed

I have to disagree with you on that one Matt. Unless you are flat-footing your car the whole way around, then you can still work on handling. I can understand getting discouraged if you are going up against big money, but look close and you’ll see racers who have built a better mouse trap, and it didn’t always involve money.

I can’t come close to being able to afford the late model that I drove for a while. It was a blast and I am thankful for the opportunity that I had to drive for someone but I cannot afford it on my own! I even quit racing gokarts because I couldn’t justify spending the money that those guys were spending to win a kart race (or really even be competitive). I also have a young child now. I wouldn’t be opposed to having her around racing, though.

I was engaged to a woman who HATED it.

So i quit.Thirty years later she’s passed away and i find myself thinking,Should i start back?

Realized as my kids were getting older, I was spending way too much time away from the important things. I still go to the races every chance I get, just not spending most of the week away from the kids to get ready to go on Saturday.

Well said leftfeild … I saw my wife and kids distancing themselves from me because all the time I was spending at the shop working on the car. I don’t regret quitting either. I got into coaching my kids in sports. Now that they are grown and almost finished in collage, I can maybe tinker with a bommer type of Car.

Why did we quit

We quit racing in 2001 when we were DQ’d for not enough vacuum when we finished in 3rd place (800RPM), and the track owners son and his best friend finished 1st and 2nd and their vacuum passed at 1500 RPM. That was the first time the cowboy cadilacs didn’t have to race with the street stocks because we had brought 2 trucks. We told the track officials that we would not be back and we haven’t. The trucks went to scrap and we went Drag racing instead. Now that the track is under new ownership we will be back with a Street Stock. Sometimes it isn’t just the money.