Sunday racing

Well the rain is here,so what so wrong with racing on Sunday at 10am 11am? Church?Family-down time?Dirt tracks just take on too much rain to race?
Racing and racetracks are a business, would there be NO fans or racers that attend on Sunday and the track will loose anyways?
Putnam attempt this–Racing on Sunday- couple of years ago and I thought this was a hit.

Rob

[QUOTE=rhinoracing11;128891]Well the rain is here,so what so wrong with racing on Sunday at 10am 11am? Church?Family-down time?Dirt tracks just take on too much rain to race?
Racing and racetracks are a business, would there be NO fans or racers that attend on Sunday and the track will loose anyways?
Putnam attempt this–Racing on Sunday- couple of years ago and I thought this was a hit.

Rob[/QUOTE]
We are in the south and south starts with S for Saturday and O for ONLY…we are going to try a few Wed. night shows this year with a couple of classes at the Bullring

Id be running on sunday if i ran a race track here ,no lites ,afternoons ,pits open at 11 first race at 2 except in june july and august then it would be sunday early evenings pits open at 4 races at 6 still no lites .run 4 classes of cars and have a chicken dinner special at the end served in the pits so the fans could get to know the drivers . try to keep grandstand admission to 25.00 for a family of 4 or 8.oo for adults kids free so a man can take his family to the races and still be able to have enough left to get thru the week. but what do i know I’m just a old guy. buy the time I take my wife to the races at 30.00 a head to get in the pits plus food and gas i’m out 100.00 and we wonder why people are not showing up heck i do this for a living and I can’t afford it . mind you I have not a clue on what it costs to operate a race track but i know i would have a good salesman working to secure sponsership for the shows before i would even get off the ground. nascar does not have a event where their expenses arn’t covered ahead of time from my point of view just sayen woody

I’d go on a sunday

Sunday’s have been mentioned several times. The difference between here and other parts of the country is the heat. Afternoon heat and sun is a killer. I think if a show started around 5 or 6 and was over by 10, a Sunday could work. You still have to deal with the rain in the summer though.

I understand about the heat

But really where is it any different between hot lapping at 4pm saturday and racing at 430 on sunday?

I could be a smart ass and say 30 minutes is the difference. :slight_smile: Seriously though, you have a valid point maybe for asphalt. They spend hours practicing before the races on Saturdays. I think they may have 4 hours of practice before racing. Dirt is different. You run hot laps about an hour before race time. Then have drivers meeting and go. A well run Sunday program usually runs faster than most tracks Saturday programs. I think Saturday tracks feel they have to go slower. I really don’t know but that’s been my experience. Really the heat shouldn’t be a complaint for the asphalt guys. Most of them spend a great portion of Saturday’s in the hot sun before they even start racing. Cut the practice time and run an efficient program on Sundays.

Just too hot in the summer months to run on Sundays

Sundays in the summer are no hotter than Saturdays in the summer…

Exactly my point!!!

And yes somewhere in between 4 and 430 lies a half hour,and somewhere between the final dollar you took in saturday and the end of the month are bills to pay…You want to pay them all on 2 or 3 good saturdays a month (if that) or make use of a weekend day no one else uses and you dont have to fight for fans and cars with every other track in the state?

Sunday afternoons.

Pits open at 4:00, grandstands at 5:30pm, first heat race on the track, lined up and ready to go at 6:30pm.

This “early” program works for a “Saturday” track up here - with only four divisions, they run heats, trophy dash for top four in each division (pays $50 to win), pursuit race for each division, and then features - and still done and out of the race track before 9:30-10:00.

Well, once again I don’t think the powers that be will listen to us, but…

If you race on Sunday, as a competitor, you can travel from a farther distance (if the show is over in the early evening) and not get home at a god-awful time of the morning, which would enable you to draw more cars.

If you race on Sunday, as a fan, you still have the day off (unlike Friday nights).

If you race on Sunday, as a Christian (or whatever faith), the track could hold a multi-denominational service for you like they do at NASCAR events. Track Chaplains would handle this with humble pride.

If you race on Sunday, (like zerofor said) you are not fighting with any other track for cars or fans. You can have bigger paying events that will draw more cars because you will get more fans. And If you start the show early enough you will never have to turn on the lights and pay for that electricity.

If you race on Sunday, nobody is saying you have to race Sundays in June, July or August and roast everyone to death in the grandstand and dodge rain every event.

Auburndale ran the rain date for the FUPS finale last year on a Sunday and the crowd was good.

I don’t know about the summers but in the Northeast they used to have many fall events that were held on Sundays and were successful. I’m talking about back in the 50’s - 60’s. Along came the color TV’s, bigger screens and the NFL. That effectively killed Sunday racing in that area. Even today, live events take a back seat to NFL games. You could still get the guys to come out and race, that wasn’t the problem, but they played to largely empty grandstands.

If you’re old enough to remember, the “Friday Night Fights” on TV (in the early 50’s when TV was new), killed off the local boxing clubs. Nobody wanted to go and watch the local guys mix it up, when they could watch nationally ranked fighters on TV. Somewhat the same thing has happened to local tracks when NASCAR puts on a Sat. night event. Local track promoters will almost never run a major event opposite a NASCAR CUP show. I find it sad as, personally, I have very little interest in the Cup races but it’s the “way of the world” whether we like it or not.

Shiloh