Screven

I just read a notice that the promoter at Screven Raceway told the WoO Late Models to take a hike. The WoO insisted on running Hoosier tires only, and the promoter at Screven said he wanted an open tire rule. WoO refused and cancelled their season opening race there. The promoter at Screven has announced that the races will go on there as scheduled , just not sanctioned by the WoO. Guess he got tired of the heavy handed tire and fuel requirements these companies and tracks insist on.

I saw that today, although it really makes no sense. WoO has had the same tire rule for a while. That’s how it works in the series…what would have lead him to believe that these races would be different?

Don’t know, but he certainly seems determined about it. It was nice of him to step up and pay some good money for a race anyway.
These companies like Whose yer and Sun don’t go, often put pressure on tracks to force racers to use only their products. Maybe this promoter thinks the racers should be able to use whatever product brand names they want. But he must have known going in that WoO wasn’t going to allow it.

It’ll be interesting to see how it works out. Most of the WoO tour guys have dropped it from their schedule now and are either going elsewhere or will just wait to start the season in Ocala. But that gives more non-tour guys a shot at a good money win so I think there will still be plenty of cars in the pits. Will the fans still show for the same front gate $$ with no tour guys? I dunno. I hope so.
From what I read that track is an American Racer track and WoO’s requirement is Hoosiers. The locals would have had to buy Hoosiers, and since 4 compounds are allowed that’s a lot of tires. Especially when the reality is running against the WoO guys those locals are likely running for a top ten at best. Given the open tire rule I’m betting there will be more cars in the pits than their would have been under the WoO sanction.

And to make it more interesting, today they boosted the pay to $12,000 to win both nights and minimum $1000 to start.

This has happened in the past with Screven. Big Red, the promoter, doesn’t want to force his local guys to buy tires that they will only run one time for this one race. By the numbers he posted (66 CARS W OPEN TIRE RULE IN 2012 - 39 IN 2013 w a TIRE RULE) the tire rule has hurt his entries vs an open tire rule. Check out their Facebook page which has more information about the issue, it is Screven Motor Sports Complex.

I don’t fully understand the sense of his argument though. This is a big money, big time SLM race - every car is going out on new tires anyhow. The WoO tires cost basically the same as any other tire. And even though 4 compounds are allowed everyone says Screven is easy on rubber so it’s likely nobody will bring anything harder than a soft to the show…so where’s the savings? They’re still buying tires. And likely most teams who run Screven would also head down to Volusia or BRP where the same WoO tire rule will be in effect, so if there are a few laps left in them they could use them up.
I tend to think this is more the promoters excuse for not working with them, which hey…if he can make it work out then he made the right call. Or it may bite him squarely in the tush…

[QUOTE=luke81;139607]I don’t fully understand the sense of his argument though. This is a big money, big time SLM race - every car is going out on new tires anyhow. The WoO tires cost basically the same as any other tire. And even though 4 compounds are allowed everyone says Screven is easy on rubber so it’s likely nobody will bring anything harder than a soft to the show…so where’s the savings? They’re still buying tires. And likely most teams who run Screven would also head down to Volusia or BRP where the same WoO tire rule will be in effect, so if there are a few laps left in them they could use them up.
I tend to think this is more the promoters excuse for not working with them, which hey…if he can make it work out then he made the right call. Or it may bite him squarely in the tush…[/QUOTE]

No the W.O.O. wanted to use the UMP tire rules which they will run at all the other shows in Florida but Redd didn’t want that for his local guys that will never use that UMP tire again. Like you said the track is not hard on tires so they will likely have multiple tires that still has life in them but nowhere to race them. There are no UMP tracks in the Southeast that I am aware of. According to the WOO own rules they are open tires except if they are at a UMP track which Screven is not. The tire rule should be open by their own rules. I understand both sides but I think Redd is right in this case looking out for his regional guys. John 1*

Thanks for the additional info. Seems like he’s looking out for his racers. I really hope more tracks realize that forcing racers to buy tires they don’t need and can’t use again is just dumb. Same goes for the fuel companies demanding that racers buy 10 gallons or more that they don’t need and don’t want.