BRP Tonight

not sure what exactly happened but a driver was seriously injured tonight. The BRP facebook page will have some additional info. https://www.facebook.com/bubbaracewaypark?hc_location=timeline

Just saw from friends on F/B that she passed away from those injuries…
Vey sad for her family. Thoughts and prayers…
-JIM-

Man that really sucks :frowning:

Very tragic. Sad day for racing.

Racing has nothing to do with it, my friend.

“Racing” won’t care a bit about this. This was and always will be about people.

This is just a sad, sad day.

What is it going to take for people to learn?

Apparently, young lives senselessly taken isn’t enough.

Just a very sad day.

So sad for her family. :frowning: my condolences to them.

My thought go out to her family and friends. .

[QUOTE=Osmosis Jones;142978]“Racing” won’t care a bit about this. This was and always will be about people.

This is just a sad, sad day.

What is it going to take for people to learn?

Apparently, young lives senselessly taken isn’t enough.

Just a very sad day.[/QUOTE]

What a difference a year makes. NOT!!! We had this same discussion a year ago and nothing was done. It’s much easier for people to say how tragic it was but it’s just racing, rather than try to do something to prevent it. As I said a year ago, we’d be talking about it again. Worse part is, it was preventable. We’ll be talking about it again in another year or two, if not sooner.

I agree 100%.

Such a cute kid… I understand this photo was taken of her just before she went on the track…

1613983_10202641959722978_1468208142_n.jpg

Sad day.

My thoughts and prayers to the family and friends. I just can’t figure out why the news is so brief? almost no facts or explanations, and I found more on a Go-Kart racing site than anywhere else. IMHO, it sure seems a good idea to publish facts, like as exactly how and why it happened, if it’s only to prevent a future similar occurrence.

A HANS or NecksGen unit should be required for ANY minor to race. PERIOD. It should be mandated across the board for everyone. Most of these tragic incidents can be avoided if proper safety requirements are put into place. The car did its job, from the pictures the car looked extremely well designed. Thoughts and prayers to this young girls family.

Sad day…

“Worse part is, it was preventable.”

Actually, and even more sadly, I’m starting to think it’s not.

Until some parent. Some track…or collection of tracks…some sanctioning body…or maybe even some federal judge, if need be…steps up and says:

“We will no longer place the value of shock entertainment for the masses above the value of a child’s life.”

Unfortunately, we have moved into a new phase of “reality-TV” based, human programming.
People making millions by exploiting the basic tendencies of human beings that need to be “awed” by the sheer lunacy of people who get paid to showcase their ignorance and lack of decency. All for their 15 minutes of so-called fame.

But it’s too late for that, I’m thinking, now.
We’re too far down the rabbit hole.
Too much is made of the spectacle of some child’s ability to turn a steering wheel and work a gas pedal as if it were some kind of advanced, physical phenomenon.
To them, it’s just a bigger go kart. To us, they are the next world wonder.
(The reality check: it ain’t rocket science)

Forgotten are the real world rules of physics that could explain the effects of force and acceleration on not only moving objects but stationary ones also. How many car crash dummy commercials can you watch and not notice the forces exerted on the vehicles occupants? Even the restrained ones? It’s not just the head and neck that have to absorb these tremendous forces. Grab an anatomy book and have a gander at all the internal organs that are being protected by our “human roll cages”. There’s a reason the big guy put these on the inside instead of the outside of our bodies.
It’s because they don’t too well when exposed to sunlight.

Everyone always wants to talk about head and neck restraining devices. While they are probably a great advancement in the safety of race car drivers around the world…I’m sure in the perfect crash (head-on) they provide an elevated level of preventing forward head and neck movement.
And that’s great…in the perfect crash.
But what about in a rollover? Or a rear end hit when you’re sitting still? Or a direct side impact? My point is they are not the
“ULTIMATE ANSWER THAT WILL SAVE ALL THE LITTLE DRIVERS LIVES!!”

Again, I’m not saying they aren’t helping to keep racer’s a little safer from getting hurt while having fun doing a sport they love.
I’m saying that deceleration injuries to the rest of the body can be just as debilitating as head and neck injuries. If a wreck was bad enough to cause trauma to driver’s head and neck, there’s more than a good chance they’ll have some other problems as well. That is a fact not only in a racing crash but in highway crashes, also.

All of which brings me to the difference between an adults, fully formed and proportionately figured body and that of an adolescent’s still growing and constantly changing body.

But…I’ve said enough…probably too much.

I’ve always been an opponent of under-aged kids driving high-powered race cars while they are still battling acne, middle school teachers and first crush jitters. In my head, it’s just not an option. AND…I know nothing I could ever say or write will ever have an impact on racing as a whole. But maybe some parent who is on the fence about making this decision will read it and do the right thing. That’s what I’m hoping, anyways.

So, before you get angry and want to fire off a post about what I’ve written, just think about it for a while. Before you jump to any conclusions about either mine or your stance on the subject, you should ask yourself the really tough questions about the life and death of your children and how much risk you are willing to take on their behalf.

It might be an eye-opener.

OJ

[QUOTE=Osmosis Jones;143064]“Worse part is, it was preventable.”

Actually, and even more sadly, I’m starting to think it’s not.

Until some parent. Some track…or collection of tracks…some sanctioning body…or maybe even some federal judge, if need be…steps up and says:

“We will no longer place the value of shock entertainment for the masses above the value of a child’s life.”

Unfortunately, we have moved into a new phase of “reality-TV” based, human programming.
People making millions by exploiting the basic tendencies of human beings that need to be “awed” by the sheer lunacy of people who get paid to showcase their ignorance and lack of decency. All for their 15 minutes of so-called fame.

But it’s too late for that, I’m thinking, now.
We’re too far down the rabbit hole.
Too much is made of the spectacle of some child’s ability to turn a steering wheel and work a gas pedal as if it were some kind of advanced, physical phenomenon.
To them, it’s just a bigger go kart. To us, they are the next world wonder.
(The reality check: it ain’t rocket science)

Forgotten are the real world rules of physics that could explain the effects of force and acceleration on not only moving objects but stationary ones also. How many car crash dummy commercials can you watch and not notice the forces exerted on the vehicles occupants? Even the restrained ones? It’s not just the head and neck that have to absorb these tremendous forces. Grab an anatomy book and have a gander at all the internal organs that are being protected by our “human roll cages”. There’s a reason the big guy put these on the inside instead of the outside of our bodies.
It’s because they don’t too well when exposed to sunlight.

Everyone always wants to talk about head and neck restraining devices. While they are probably a great advancement in the safety of race car drivers around the world…I’m sure in the perfect crash (head-on) they provide an elevated level of preventing forward head and neck movement.
And that’s great…in the perfect crash.
But what about in a rollover? Or a rear end hit when you’re sitting still? Or a direct side impact? My point is they are not the
“ULTIMATE ANSWER THAT WILL SAVE ALL THE LITTLE DRIVERS LIVES!!”

Again, I’m not saying they aren’t helping to keep racer’s a little safer from getting hurt while having fun doing a sport they love.
I’m saying that deceleration injuries to the rest of the body can be just as debilitating as head and neck injuries. If a wreck was bad enough to cause trauma to driver’s head and neck, there’s more than a good chance they’ll have some other problems as well. That is a fact not only in a racing crash but in highway crashes, also.

All of which brings me to the difference between an adults, fully formed and proportionately figured body and that of an adolescent’s still growing and constantly changing body.

But…I’ve said enough…probably too much.

I’ve always been an opponent of under-aged kids driving high-powered race cars while they are still battling acne, middle school teachers and first crush jitters. In my head, it’s just not an option. AND…I know nothing I could ever say or write will ever have an impact on racing as a whole. But maybe some parent who is on the fence about making this decision will read it and do the right thing. That’s what I’m hoping, anyways.

So, before you get angry and want to fire off a post about what I’ve written, just think about it for a while. Before you jump to any conclusions about either mine or your stance on the subject, you should ask yourself the really tough questions about the life and death of your children and how much risk you are willing to take on their behalf.

It might be an eye-opener.

OJ[/QUOTE]

I agree with all you say but do not let politicians deal with this without Bill Posey in the mix.

Well…

I just thought the scare tactic of involving the government might work to help people come to their senses…believe me, I don’t really want that kind of help, either.

I’d like to add something I forgot earlier.

Despite my hard-line stance on this subject, my deepest condolences go out to this beautiful child’s family and friends for their loss. I would hope and pray that no one else has to go what they have been through since Saturday evening.

Bad night at Bubba’s

Funny how the first I’ve seen in any newspaper is in today’s Daytona News Journel, and IO saw, yesterday in a go-kart racing site another news item. Today’s paper said that it was her first time on the track, and she was alone there when she hit the 3rd. turn wall, she was unconscious when lifted from her car, taken to local Ocala hospital , then air-lifted to Shands in Gainsville, where she succumbed. I still can’t figure why no other particulars , like, how and why, so that it might be prevented in the future. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Family and friends.

Not knowing any facts or particular events that came into play

I will say this.The basic constuction of a race car is great.But the basic construction of most of these compact class cars is not.These cars were never intended to be raced and the manufacturing style of these cars is for a (fairly)safe highway vehicle.Promoters like running these class cars because they are cheap,easily identifiable to the younger fans in particular and race fans in general,and as a rule low buck which translates to low payout in the purse for the night.THESE CARS DONT HAVE AN ACTUAL FRAME AND SHOULDNT BE RACED.They are a tin can with a minimal roll cage and many dont have even a front or rear loop to the cage.Many street stock,strictly stock,and v8 bomber style cars are built using uniframe cars and they arent safe either.As in the instance of a young boy who was killed at Auburndale a couple seasons back,once again it was in a compact division car.These cars are not sturdy enough or strong enough from the factory for the driver to survive a catostrophic impact.Unfortunately most teens (and I believe their family members who let them compete in these style cars),are unaware of the danger they are in by racing these type of cars.Hell it has gotten to the point these things have become more dangerous than a winged sprint,so that alone should speak up and tell you something.The promoters need to do away with these tin can classes.THESE ARE NOT WERE THEY EVER INTENDED TO BE AN ACTUAL RACE CAR!!!

Before coming down to hard on today’s cars with the unibodies, watch the following crash test. It’s a 59 Chevy Bel Air and a 2009 Chevy Malibu. They collide and the driver of the 59 would have died instantly while the driver of the 09 would have had a slight knee injury. Really surprised me. Well worth watching.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_ptUrQOMPs

//youtu.be/<iframe width=“560” height=“315” src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1_ptUrQOMPs" frameborder=“0” allowfullscreen></iframe>

@zerofor you couldn’t be much farther from the truth.