Fix Daytona (& Cup) Qualifying!?

To Recap:
>New qualifying format at Daytona with multiple cars moving at different speeds.
>Sorenson attempted to block Boyer and a wreck followed, taking out several cars, Tony Stewart’s included.
>Boyer & Stewart complained, NASCAR says they will not be fined.

So, let’s kick the ball around on the current Cup qualifying format a little, if you are so inclined.

First, assume that it is all a money making show, and one of the primary objectives of NASCAR is to have action every single moment. Yes, that is different from racing or even qualifying per se, but that is not the topic here…

The question is, how to make it better given NASCAR’s objectives?

I think they could improve the show and make it a little safer by simply determining a lineup–a weekly draw would be my choice, determining a number of laps, say 8 or 10, line 'em up and give them the green.

If there was a wreck and/or yellow, the yellow laps would not count, and the number of laps would revert to the last green flag lap, with the remainder yet to be run.

Then, the average of your lap times, compared to the average of everyone else’s lap times, would determine your starting position. Your finishing “position” during qualifying is irrelevant, only your averaged lap times “count”.

Thoughts?

oldschool

I say they put 5 at a time ,spaced 10 seconds apart. will finish in nascar’s time frame

From a fans point of view ( we were there) it totally sucked. Had Gordon on my scanner and his team had it figured out. Leave pit road with 1:23 left in the 5 minute window and haul ass to make speed with only 3 seconds left in the window and allowed to finish the qualifying lap. No one wanted to be first to leave pit road and be the lead car.
Then there was Reid Sorenson trying his little tricks and wrecked 3 cars. :sprachlos020:
5 car fields would be a better choice, or go back to single car as it has ALWAYS been done… NASCRAP does it again… :mad:
-JIM-

This past weekends qualifying at DIS was a real challenge. How could you describe that mess to either a real race fan or a first time viewer? Either one would think you were joking.
The new format was introduced to make NASCAR seem on the same level of importance as F1. The F1 format works just as it was designed to, the fastest cars always end up in the final session. And in truth the fastest laps are usually in the second session, not the final one. The reason it works is because the F1 cars avoid drafting… it takes the air off the front wing causing a big understeer.
Qualifying stock cars that way on a super speedway is just stupid. FUPS stupid. The draft means everything in those cars so that’s the only thing the drivers are after. And as some of the drivers pointed out, any car can pick up a good draft ( even accidentally) and end up at the top of the time sheet.
And they even staged the cars parked nose first at the pit wall so they could back out. Thereby increasing the excitement? Or just one more heavy handed attempt by NASCAR.
The people i’ve talked to were against any change. I haven’t talked to anyone who thought it was a good idea.
The twin 125s are an excellent form of qualifying. Why not continue to use them? And most fans have no problem with one car at a time either.

ARCA did it perfectly on Friday. They sent out 6 or so cars at a time for 7 minutes each group. No incidents, higher speeds and the right cars made the race. Nobody blocked either…

screwup

first car out at disadvantage 10 second makes every one equal, no drafting just your own hp

So this format pretty much ensures that teamates will always be the front row for the 500 from now on. Stupid. Glad I didn’t waste my time watching. Was at NSS down the road where the REAL racing was happening.

i watched some of qualifying on TV, and I agree, it was bizarre. The stands looked more empty than I have seen for any Cup session that I recall. Anyone that was there notice that also?

Would it surprise anyone if the next qualifying format for Daytona was a fan vote to set the field? You would even be able to vote drivers off of the top ten.

This is what happens when corporate types make decisions about racing when they have no idea what racing is.

I’ve read online today that not one single racer or team thought this was a good idea. I also didn’t find any evidence of fans wanting this new format. But NASCAR being NASCAR, they decided to do it anyway.

[QUOTE=Matt Albee;155579]Would it surprise anyone if the next qualifying format for Daytona was a fan vote to set the field? You would even be able to vote drivers off of the top ten.

This is what happens when corporate types make decisions about racing when they have no idea what racing is.

I’ve read online today that not one single racer or team thought this was a good idea. I also didn’t find any evidence of fans wanting this new format. But NASCAR being NASCAR, they decided to do it anyway.[/QUOTE]

NA$CAR has become a joke. Plain and simple. The disconnect between us real racers and them, the corporate snobs, has never been bigger. The sad thing is, they are brainwashing people into believing this is what real racing is all about. 90% of my friends think what we do at our local levels, is a joke based simply on what they see on TV and they say they would never want to come see because they would be bored and don’t want to watch cars follow each other around. NA$CAR has no clue how bad they are hurting their true core audience and needs to wake up before it’s too late… If it isn’t already.

One at a time with no restrictor plates. I would buy a ticket to that !

Take away tire, bump stops, coil bind etc too. Bring them back to 1990. That was some good racing back then

Bring back Dale Earnhardt Sr and get the number 3 back on a mans car too.

And put Danica back in a swimsuit. I love her.

“And put Danica back in a swimsuit. I love her.”–UB EZ

“It’s not love, it’s infatuation”-
-UB EZ’s Mom

"I think they could improve the show and make it a little safer by simply determining a lineup–a weekly draw would be my choice, determining a number of laps, say 8 or 10, line 'em up and give them the green."–Oldschool

Have decided to amend the above. Split them into 3 groups and send them out for 10 laps each and make them race for it.

If you are NASCAR, you may want to take the “fast four” from each group and let them race another 6 laps or so for the Pole & outside pole.

Everyone else lines up according to their averaged lap times from their initial outing.