NASCAR Circus episode 2

Just when you thought NASCAR couldn’t screw things up any worse than last weeks qualifying circus, they mess things up even worse this week. Due to long lines and long waits in the inspection booth, Gordon, Johnson, Stewart, and a number of other drivers weren’t able to get on track to qualify. So that group has to start from the rear, assuming their teams have enough points.
Seems there were tv schedules to maintain, so qualifying couldn’t be delayed any longer.

[B][I]And can some one explain to me why a guy that did not start his qualifying session can start de main event and others that have qualified go home???

I understand very well that Gordon , Stewart , Johnson are more important to the fans,medias, sponsors, TV but still, how can you qualify over somebody when you were not even there???

That is over comprehension to me.

Can please someone put some light in this.[/I][/B]

NASCAR is getting to be such a joke lately. You would think that they would schedule inspections a little sooner before qualifying just in case something like this happens. I guess they don’t give it much thought beforehand. Wait till some of the sponsors (Lowe’s, Bass Pro Shop etc.) start to complain about not getting track time and starting in the rear. You will see changes made by NASCAR pretty damn quick to ensure that this does not happen again. Let’s see what fiasco next week brings.

[QUOTE=andre;156109][B][I]And can some one explain to me why a guy that did not start his qualifying session can start de main event and others that have qualified go home???

I understand very well that Gordon , Stewart , Johnson are more important to the fans,medias, sponsors, TV but still, how can you qualify over somebody when you were not even there???

That is over comprehension to me.

Can please someone put some light in this.[/I][/B][/QUOTE]

I got nothing… I guess if you are one of the top tier drivers you’ll make it in no matter what the circumstances. Hell, I’m surprised that Kyle Busch is not getting points just for having his car out on the track. That might be next.

[B][I]Kyle Busch no, but the 18, yes, he is gtting owner points. So down the season, something happen, he can always fallback on owner points that somebody else gathered for him. It’s all set up so the ‘‘stars’’ start the race.

But if you are not in the qualification, how can they justify their starting position when others, who have qualified, go home??? That I don’t get.[/I][/B]

[QUOTE=andre;156109][B][I]

I understand very well that Gordon , Stewart , Johnson are more important to the fans,medias, sponsors, TV [/I][/B][/QUOTE]
If you understand this, what’s the question? :smiley:

Well, it’s either let those guys race or endure the wrath of;
Jeff Gordon
Jimmy Johnson
Tony Stewart
Matt Kenseth
Gene Haas
Joe Gibbs
Rick Hendrick
Chevrolet
Toyota
Bass Pro Shops
Mobil One
Lowes
etc., etc.
and
Several million race ticket buying and souvenir buying fans of the above drivers.

[QUOTE=Matt Albee;156106]Just when you thought NASCAR couldn’t screw things up any worse than last weeks qualifying circus, they mess things up even worse this week. Due to long lines and long waits in the inspection booth, Gordon, Johnson, Stewart, and a number of other drivers weren’t able to get on track to qualify. So that group has to start from the rear, assuming their teams have enough points.
Seems there were tv schedules to maintain, so qualifying couldn’t be delayed any longer.[/QUOTE]It’s not that those teams didn’t get to qualify at all; it’s that they had to go through the second round of qualifying after tech inspection. Seems a lot of the cars had to go back, fix the rear end, and go back through the tech inspection line after failing the rear-end camber check.

“Well, it’s either let those guys race or endure the wrath of: Jeff Gordon, Jimmy Johnson, Matt Kenseth…[and some other guys]”--Matt Albee

Um…yeah…If there are any concerns just hire Cale to be the bouncer today.

Even if those three go all WWE tag team, you still need only one Cale. :anim_buttkick:

so how is it Nascar’s fault that the teams weren’t legal?

Here’s a quick run down on the NASCAR screw up/strange decisions list. Let’s start at Daytona.
They black flag Tony Stewart during practice to come to the infield to get weighed ( his weight, not the car’s ), like it couldn’t have waited till the practice session ended.

NASCAR holds the strangest qualifying session ever for the 500.

During the Xfinity race, Kyle is injured after going head on into a wall. Turns out it was located in an unfashionable part of the track and so the money to equip it with a safer barrier hadn’t been spent. Even though we have watched several cars over the years crash into that exact wall.

On the last lap of the Xfinity race, big crash, no caution thrown. Hold that thought.

500 was a decent race for the fans, but NASCAR inexplicably refuses to throw the caution for the last lap crash. Safety was their excuse. The thinking was that the drivers, after racing back to the line, wouldn’t have been told about the backstretch crash by their crew and spotter. Thereby giving the drivers only 3/4 of a mile to get slowed down to miss the debris.

The Atlanta list. So far.
NASCAR brings a number of cars back through inspection twice because of rule infractions. And since no car has ever been brought back through inspection for rules infractions, the inspection team apparently wasn’t able to handle the backup. NASCAR refuses to extend the inspection time because of television concerns. Some of the top drivers in the sport miss qualifying and are allowed to race anyway.

[QUOTE=Matt Albee;156128]Some of the top drivers in the sport miss qualifying and are allowed to race anyway.[/QUOTE]They didn’t “miss qualifying”; they missed the first round and just weren’t eligible for the pole.

Another interesting factoid, it seems that loose or missing lug nuts, while considered a serious enough breach of safety to get you black flagged and brought back down pit road in years past, now aren’t even listed as a penalty. They were a serious safety issue for years, now they don’t matter.
Of course the reason they suddenly don’t matter is that NASCAR is using a new space age system ( for them anyway ) on pit road that relies on cameras. So there is no way to monitor lug nuts.

You probably know more about this than i do, but if you don’t even take part in the first round of qualifying, how would you get a chance to move into the second round? I did notice that Johnson, Gordon, Stewart and the others weren’t listed as having actually taken part in any round of qualifying.

In my opinion, the reason for all of this mayhem in NASCAR is that there isn’t anyone leading the organization. At least no body that knows stock car racing. The only criteria for being in charge in NASCAR seems to be a solid background in marketing beer, cell phones, or cigarettes. That’s where they all seem to come from.
With Bill France Sr. or Bill France Jr. in charge, the situation in qualifying at Atlanta would have been handled by one phone call to race control saying no one goes on the track until everyone is ready, if that gets in the way of tv, that’s too bad.
With the current group in charge of NASCAR, a call is made to the Vice President of marketing, who has to check with Vice President of Legal, who has to call the Producer of the tv broadcast who then checks with Legal again and then a call is placed to the Vice President of Competition who calls the Director of Competition who then calls…by this time the top drivers in the sport miss qualifying.

Alarming amount of grey in the grandstands from the overhead shots at Atlanta,I am not referring to fans over 40.

[B][I]Did anyone noticed when Austin Dillon blew up a tire and lost a lap, there was a caution, but the caution was for debris, not bcause of him spraying the debris all over the track. That way, he became eligible for the free pass, since he did not cause the caution.

And we still watch it anyway. [/I][/B]

Don’t forget…today’s winner didn’t qualify. Not that that would be an issue, other than cars that did qualify went home.

Ben has a good point, there…

[QUOTE=andre;156142][B][I]Did anyone noticed when Austin Dillon blew up a tire and lost a lap, there was a caution, but the caution was for debris, not bcause of him spraying the debris all over the track. That way, he became eligible for the free pass, since he did not cause the caution.

And we still watch it anyway. [/I][/B][/QUOTE]

I did notice that. All I could do was shake my head.