New Smyrna Speedway 3-21-15 - Good Choice !!!

Well have now made it to two in a row at the big half miler and as always will be waiting to read Announcer Dave’s great report. Just a few of my notes about NSS last night and this season. Nine features in the first two nights with nine different winners. Very good racing with only one dq so far this season, with that being the #34 Sportsman of Austin Howell last night giving the win to #03 George Gorham Jr in his great looking #03. Nineteen Sportsman for the second week in a row. Amazing how many cars were back from last weeks crashes. These guys want to race. 11 modifieds put on a heck of a race, as Symons had to work for the victory. #96 Mat Wheeler is becoming more and more competitive each week. Seeing four and five modifieds all together passing and racing is a neat sight at NSS. Alan Bruns returned in the #4B only to find the rear wall courtesy of Mr Symons, Pro lates were the surprise of the night as Ray Black Jr bested the field as a three car battle behind him with, Clouser #80, Cataldi #00 and Cejner #66 enabled Black’s #19 to pull away for the victory. Great race as I think just about everyone in the stands had Clouser as the heavy favorite. Cejner ran one heck of a race as well.

3-21-15 NSS continued - Bombers

Just got interrupted by that Speedway deal. (lol) Back to NSS. Another good race were the Bombers. Although only five cars were on hand it was quite an interesting event as #58 Skinner had the #37 King always closing and challenging. King just didn’t have enough to get by with Skinner winning. While these two did battle, the race for second was awesome between #3 Sutorus, #24 Metheny, and the #03 Overman. Why more of these cars do not show is anybody’s guess, but if a five car race can be entertaining this one was it. Many fans stayed and watched the Bombers as well. Good show guys and gals. Modified #76 Higginbotham made a vast improvement from week one to week #2. Great looking car as well. All in all a pretty good night of racing al NSS. Show was over at 10:03 and back home by eleven. Sorry no concession report this week as I am having a hard time with the menu names, really wish NSS would change back to common names so I know what to order. Just had a Coca-Cola after struggling with the menu. As I walked away I saw they had brats with peppers and onions, Might have had one of those if I had been able to see the item on the menu while in line. Well, as mentioned a Good Night at NSS !!! Thanks NSS, see ya soon !!!

[QUOTE=Denman;157033] Modified #76 Higginbotham made a vast improvement from week one to week #2. Great looking car as well. QUOTE]
Thanks for the kind words. Last week lost oil pressure about lap 12 and shut it down. New motor with new oil pump that failed. Builder made good on it. Central Florida Machine gets a plug here. Still down on hp with this beefed up e-mod motor though…
Thanks again Denman…
-JIM-

Nss

There it is again over half the field is emods two classes running together and the same cars up front why couldn’t they run two mod races a month and two emod races if I’m going to race it’s not to finish forth on back

I’m still trying to see where half the field was emods?

Nss

From forth on back are e more except Allen Bruins I raced with almost everyone in e mods so yes over half the field is e mods

Mods

Bruce
I was there and I can say I talked to all cars there and they changed motors to at least 550-plus.
The biggest difference you are seeing is some are on the new treaded tire-which is slower for the first 15-20 laps BUT do get faster as you go and don’t drop off and some are still on slicks.
But when everyone is on the same tire I think you will see closer racing .
I understand your frustration we also built an emod but changed motors and running the big motor
Not trying to start anything just want to clear up who is running what
hope to see you soon at the track

We all converted over to bigger engines. The 44 76 15 and the 98 cars all changed over

[QUOTE=hms;157053]Bruce
I was there and I can say I talked to all cars there and they changed motors to at least 550-plus.
The biggest difference you are seeing is some are on the new treaded tire-which is slower for the first 15-20 laps BUT do get faster as you go and don’t drop off and some are still on slicks.
But when everyone is on the same tire I think you will see closer racing .
I understand your frustration we also built an emod but changed motors and running the big motor
Not trying to start anything just want to clear up who is running what
hope to see you soon at the track[/QUOTE]
My older e mod motor was refreshed and beefed up to just under 500hp. Race on a budget and all I could afford. Already on the 750 tires too, since we didn’t ever run the slick in e mods…
It’s just a hobby to me at 66, so as long as it’s fun I’ll continue…
-JIM-

Well said, Jim, it is all about having fun. I wonder if they would consider running the 2 mod classes together, like we do in road racing, and have 2 winners.

That must be some real fun getting into a class you can’t aford to run. knowing your never going to win a race when you have the top cars there. and every time you leave the track your in the hole money wise. jim you should have saved your money sold your mod and got a sportsman put that crate motor into that. it would have cost less and you would have had more fun. they had 11 mod s really they had only 9 the 21 mod and 90 don’t count when you get lapped that many times you should be blacked flaged. The emod guys that changed your motors must be fun for you guys to running in the back now I would not have changed motors and raced osw on the 29th. 19 sportsman most of them running crate motors. like I said they killed the wrong mod class. by the end of the year the mod class will average about 5 /6 cars showing up. Jack they did run the two classes together over half the class was E-mod thats why I never under stood why they killed the E mod and not the big motor class.

Nss

I agree it’s a hobby and is to be fun but I don’t have money to build that big motor like Simmons and tank but I’m not going to run in the back of the field I want run up front and win like the next guy it’s not fun when you are not competive with the big dogs I was very happy when they started the e mods I was able to run competively

It actually is a lot of fun, we have 200+ cars a weekend that testify to that. There is no purse, do a trophy and fun is all you get!

Shorttrackcar1

I drove sportsman for 9 years till it was totaled at Lake City asphalt track. Bought a roller mod and put the drive train from sportsman in it. The mod is less expensive to run and as an e mod was in my league. Never owned or ran a crate motor. The motor I have will be great for other shorter tracks, just not the big 1/2 mile at NSS. Our racing family is a lot of the fun too with only maybe one exception out there…(no names)…

When it’s not fun anymore I’ll try skydiving to get over my fear of heights… NOT!! :auto003:
-GYM-

Jim At this point I would go with the sky diveing LOL. Jack 200 + every weekend cars what is that so I can look it up I would like to check it out. thanks.

SCCA club racing and NASA club racing

Jacko,
not sure if you know about my ‘toy’. A clone of the NAPA 15 Chevy, Butler built, retired Bush Grand National North car. I think it would make a great SCCA car for someone. Fresh motor,70 hot laps at NSS, and race ready…
Looking to sell it. It also has a second seat. Used to sell ride-a-longs at Ocala Speedway… Let me know…
-JIM-

NAPA AT NSS...JPG

Joe, did you get my pm response? I can’t tell if it was sent??

Yes, Jim, I have seen pics of your car, very cool! At this time, I don’t know of a buyer, but I will keep it in mind.

John, I got your PM and PMed you back, thanks

First… good to see JMITCH back on here… missed you… how’s it going?

Talked to Jerry Symons Saturday and he was telling me it cost $11,000 to get the engine “refreshed” each time they do it… He says his sponsor foots the bill, so it only benefits him… You need a sponsor like that Jacko!