Penalties in NASCAR

I see where the Childress owned #31 team got some major fines for actions detrimental to stock car racing. Drilling holes in tires to keep air pressure down. I didn’t see that Newman was suspended, maybe they thought he didn’t know about the drilling.
It’s easy for NASCAR to suspend crew chiefs and mechanics. I wonder what would happen if they started suspending drivers and car owners for 6 weeks when a team was caught cheating? I’ll bet cheating would slow down real fast.

Newman is part of “the show”. He has to say something detrimental about Nascar or punch out another competitor to be suspended.

Didn’t I read that soaking tires was no big deal? Nascar seems to think tars should not be tampered with…

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;157454]Newman is part of “the show”. He has to say something detrimental about Nascar or punch out another competitor to be suspended.

Didn’t I read that soaking tires was no big deal? Nascar seems to think tars should not be tampered with…[/QUOTE]

Yet missing lug nuts, that used to be considered such a problem that they would bring a stop and go penalty, aren’t even checked now. Go figure.

The monetary part of the fines is drops in the tanker, and while I’m sure suspending people does make the weekend at the track a little more stressful Newman will still be in the chase with a win. They should make any wins he accrues during the suspension period not count toward the chase.

“Yet missing lug nuts, that used to be considered such a problem that they would bring a stop and go penalty, aren’t even checked now.”–Matt

Agreed. Over and over, this is the gameplan:

>Do what is easy and cheap
>When someone gets hurt or worse, address it then.

Repeat, repeat, repeat.

The question is always: “Are they stupid, sorry, or both?”