Super late road race series??

If anyone is interested, Chumpcar is thinking of starting a Super late or maybe a LMSC road race class. They could REALLY use your input! I would post a link but can’t seem to copy and paste on this forum!

Google Chumpcar forums and you should find it.http://forum.chumpcar.com/index.php?/topic/12544-new-sprint-race-class/http://

ctrl C copy ctrl V paste

Thanks Rick!

There already is one. There’s a group down in South Florida that has a road race series for stock cars. They post on here from time to time. I’ve seen them race, it’s a pretty good show. Looks like they have a pretty varied entry list, old cup cars, nascar north cars, super late models, k&n cars, etc.

I don’t have any short pants. Maybe Fud and Jake will buy me some!!!

The Chump series will have about 1/2 the horsepower of the car’s you’re talking about. I think they’re looking at streetstock/ sportsman type engines with treaded 10" tires

You own a pocket knife don’t you? :slight_smile:

http://forum.chumpcar.com/index.php?/topic/12544-new-sprint-race-class/

This could be a good thing. i can buy a LM chassis and use my old $200 AFCO shocks, build my own engine and go race.

SCCA already has a class or classes to cover this if guys choose to do so.

To see the interest, SCCA’s next race is May 2-3 at the Daytona Speedway RC. Free admission!

BTW, in chump cars, who are the chumps?

I know at one time the group Albee was talking about was running some events on the road course at West Palm Beach but that’s been a few years back.I don’t know if they still are or not.

[QUOTE=Groundpounder;157545]SCCA already has a class or classes to cover this if guys choose to do so.

To see the interest, SCCA’s next race is May 2-3 at the Daytona Speedway RC. Free admission!

BTW, in chump cars, who are the chumps?[/QUOTE]

I would be one of the Chumps! I raced roundy round for 20 years. Quit for two and discovered road racing again. I got a taste of it by none other than Bobby Diehl(?) when he arranged for us to race at Sebring a couple of times in FASTRUCK. I never forgot how much fun it was and swore that if I could somehow ever afford it, I was going to road race one day!
Chumpcar ain’t cheapcar but it is maybe the least expensive way to race at most of the best road courses in the country. The three races I run per year draw 100 or more cars. AND ALL on the track at the same time. For 12 to 14 hours straight!
I do miss some of the “physical” aspects of circle track racing like making an outside pass or rubbin a little!
But I never dreamed I’d be going down the front straight at Daytona doing 150 mph or feeling like I was airborn going past the bridge into a completely blind turn at Road Atlanta at around 100mph just hoping to see a racetrack appear underneath me soon! And in complete dark? Forget about it! HAHA! The shit gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.
And Sebring? Nothing like it, especially at night!
…rant over… :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=JMITCH;157594]I would be one of the Chumps! I raced roundy round for 20 years. Quit for two and discovered road racing again. I got a taste of it by none other than Bobby Diehl(?) when he arranged for us to race at Sebring a couple of times in FASTRUCK. I never forgot how much fun it was and swore that if I could somehow ever afford it, I was going to road race one day!
Chumpcar ain’t cheapcar but it is maybe the least expensive way to race at most of the best road courses in the country. The three races I run per year draw 100 or more cars. AND ALL on the track at the same time. For 12 to 14 hours straight!
I do miss some of the “physical” aspects of circle track racing like making an outside pass or rubbin a little!
But I never dreamed I’d be going down the front straight at Daytona doing 150 mph or feeling like I was airborn going past the bridge into a completely blind turn at Road Atlanta at around 100mph just hoping to see a racetrack appear underneath me soon! And in complete dark? Forget about it! HAHA! The shit gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.
…rant over… :)[/QUOTE]

Great rant. I hope this takes off and there will be events in FL. I would love to run the 'ol 07 Sportsman around the hi banks at Daytona (and wear myself out in the infield section). Keep us updated on when this comes to FL! I know of some other drivers interested too! Late Model Chumpsman. Very cool.

If you’re sitting around bored on May 24th, come check it out at Daytona. Patrick Thomas came out last year and spotted the reason our motor was running hot at the beginning of the race! Thanks again, P.T.

Eat’n Bimmers and crapping Miatas!

I saw a complete 90’s Vintage LM sitting in a barn in Alabama that has been there for at least 7 or 8 years that I know of that would be perfect for this.

John I will be back again this year, bringing Scott with me also, probably a couple other tagalongs also. Had a blast last year.

Patrick Thomas 25

The rules that ChumpCar are proposing for their new late model class are pretty close to the SCCA GTA cars save for they are advocating something around 400 HP vs the 500 or so of the GTA cars. They are considering 604 crate motors with 390 carbs, the 602, an open motor that will have to breath through a 350 Holley 2 barrel. Also for Ford lovers the crate 347 with 390.

All must be wet sump, which is gonna present a challenge. Moroso, Canton, Champ, Kevko and others make road race pans and you might consider an accusump as well.

Tranny’s with price tag around 3000…which I think means a used Jerico would be OK. 250 buck shocks. Quick changes or 9 inch. Hoosier 3045, F45 and similar. Considering 17" wheels also as an option with DOT R rubber. I think the 17"'s are a waste of time and money, hard to beat the overall grip, side bite, forgiving nature and low cost of the Hoosier.

Shocks: Pro, Bilstein, Koni, AFCO and others should make a 250 shock that fits the requirement. Pro worked well with us before we moved on to Penske’s. A baseline number for do it yourselfers might be a 5 comp 7 rebound in front and 4 comp 6 rebound in rear on that type of scale.

I think these are gonna be 20-30 minute sprint races and if so you really don’t need a tranny or rear cooler. But do use Mobil 1, Redline or similar gear lube.

Looks like they are gonna be about 2900-3000 pounds.

They are calling for perimeter chassis with steel, alum, or FG bodies…NO CF bodies.

The least expensive, most efffective way to go about this would be to find a Howe, Port City or similar ex Nascar AutoZone Elite (SW Tour type), All Pro, or similar chassis.

If money is not an object and you MUST win get a Howe or Mike Cope Trans Am2 chassis, sorta defeats the purpose of Chumpcar though.

A freshened road race Jerico or G Force T101A can be bought with Long shifter for about 3500.

Brakes appear to be pretty open, so try to get a hold of some used Cup calipers and try to stuff the 12.91 rotors in there.

plenty of ducting to the brakes with the opening at the high pressure areas of the nose, If you have your opening even a little around the corner it dramatically effects the pressure.

Wheels: I like the Bassett light weight inertia at 20#

Move the battery and anything else you can to the right side. Use a three link with Watts link preferrably or at least a full length Panhard. Woody at Bemco has a source for the Watts link.

For Iron block, alum head motor cars with 2.5 coilovers start with about 550 springs in front and 250-275 in rear. The Trans Am 2 cars now have gone to bump stop setups but I think that is well beyond the price tag of what Chump will allow.

You will need a Nascar splined type sway bar connected on both sides, not that one side thingy.

Rear end: QC with locker or Gleason Torsen or similar would be best

cell that is FIA, SCCA legal needed, get a 22 gallon

tranny gearing: I like something like 1.87 1.50 1.20 1.0 this allows first gear in the slowest corners.

Probably start with about negative 2.5 to 3 degrees of static camber in front but take tire temps to adjust.

Start with about 1/8 toe out

if you start with an old car make sure the spindles are of the same inclination, many road race car builders like the 5 degree spindles.

If they allow get a 7.25 triple disc clutch from quartermaster or tilton. with reverse mount starter. The 5.5 clutches don’t last long in these applications with a 1.87 or such first gear.

Get a good seat…preferrably a containment and wear a Hans, probably required. Sorry, but You WILL need tail lights and mirrors.

Get a 5# Nascar fire bottle for driver and engine and a 10# self actuating bottle for the fuel cell. mount to the right. They can be bought from the nascar suppliers at decent prices.

rear end: remember many circle track cars will have pos camber built into the left. You will need to change this. I have run both straight up and up to 1.5 negative camber in the rear and could not tell the diff. in feel or lap time with the bias tire.

If you plan to race at Daytona or Sebring… go to you tube and watch film of Cameron Lawrence or Bobby Kennedy in their GTA and or Trans Am cars. Cameron also has some good film on Road Atlanta, Homestead and others.

Safety wise make your car SCCA legal as you may want to race with them as well. I think the safety rules will be very close.

At this early point I would probably go with a 604 crate for cost, reliability and the broad torque curve that is desirable for road racing. Use a cold airbox type drawing air from the base of the windshield… probably save you 20 plus HP on these limited type motors. If you only got 400 you can’t be given’ away 20.

Remember this is what has worked for me in the past and is just my opinion gleaned from about 25 years of road racing and the last ten in these type of cars. YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY!

If you need EXPERT HELP, call Woody at Bemco or Mike Cope as both field high performing Trans Am cars.

Road racing in these types is not cheap but very rewarding and how else can you race in big fields at Daytona, Sebring, Homestead, Road Atlanta, Charlotte, Watkins Glen, Road America, and more on a reasonable budget.

Hope this is of help to some

“Bosco” Logsdon

[QUOTE=Patrick Thomas 25;157603]John I will be back again this year, bringing Scott with me also, probably a couple other tagalongs also. Had a blast last year.

Patrick Thomas 25[/QUOTE]

Awesome, don’t forget your THINKING CAP! We may need it since Mr. “all wound up” can be very forgetful/ blind!!

We need to get you some seat time at Sebring in September so you can rent a stint from us at Daytona next year.

Our fourth team member may be leaving us. Hopefully. :slight_smile:

Hell Yeah!!!

[QUOTE=JMITCH;157594]I would be one of the Chumps! I raced roundy round for 20 years. Quit for two and discovered road racing again. I got a taste of it by none other than Bobby Diehl(?) when he arranged for us to race at Sebring a couple of times in FASTRUCK. I never forgot how much fun it was and swore that if I could somehow ever afford it, I was going to road race one day!
…rant over… :)[/QUOTE]
[SIZE=“4”]When we went to Sebring a couple of week ago. The memories of those races were the fondness. You had to be there to see Red Necks turn right!!! It was a FREAKEN BLAST!!! Thanks for the memory![/SIZE]:ernaehrung004: