Attn Sportsman racers

May 23rd 2015 @ Auburndale Speedway

75 lap sportsman race $3000 to win $250 to start

This will be a tire impound race to help keep the playing field level!
You can bring old tires but they will be impounded and checked for “chemical enhancements”

Full payout:
1-3000
2-1500
3-1000
4-800
5-700
6-650
7-600
8-550
9-500
10-400
11-350
12-300
13-275
14-250 thru field

This is an awesome payout compared to what we typically race for, lets get those cars out to support this show and hopefully get some other track to follow!

Sportsman drivers this is going to be a great race .Hopefully we will can fill that racetrack with cars looking forward to seeing everybody there.
Thank you Critter

A tire impound race that doesn’t require a mandatory tire purchase!!!
Keep this up Critter, and you might convince me to give Auburndale another chance.

[B][I]Whatever the rule book will be, you CANNOT LEVEL the playing field. The people are too different in general. Some have talent, some do not, some will give it everything, other will take it as it goes, some have truck full of cash, some are flat broke. A level playing field in this wonderfull world of racing is a punch line, not a reality. Beside making sure nobody uses soaked//enhanced tires up to a point, which is good, it will definitly not equlized a back runner with a top runner. That is a dream, a catch phrase to lure people that in a race, in a serie, in a particular class, they can contend for the win weekly without talent, cash, experience and so on.

Remember in early 2000, when the Crate Motor fury started, the most employed phrase was ‘‘In order to have a level playing field’’… Still, the winners kept on winning, the backmarker kept on back marking. Still the same today.

Impound tires race? Agree 100%
Will level the playing field? On tires side, better chance but overall, definitely not.[/I][/B]

Correct, the playing field cannot be completely leveled.

Even when they ran IROC cars, it was not level (the intent, obviously, was to find who had the driving advantage).

Dat said, the length and style of Auburndale Speedway also tends to level the field somewhat.

ps-- aptly put, Andre: “A level playing field in this wonderful world…is a punch line, not a reality.” Period!

Could I run my full size monte street stock in this has 602 crate with Saginaw 3 speed with Hoosier 650s

Is there a entry fee on top of the pit gate price

[QUOTE=Cuzzone88;158528]May 23rd 2015 @ Auburndale Speedway

75 lap sportsman race $3000 to win $250 to start

You can bring old tires but they will be impounded and checked for “chemical enhancements”

Full payout:
1-3000
2-1500
3-1000
4-800
5-700
6-650
7-600
8-550
9-500
10-400
11-350
12-300
13-275
14-250 thru field

This is an awesome payout compared to what we typically race for, lets get those cars out to support this show and hopefully get some other track to follow![/QUOTE]

As far as i know, everyone has access to tire softener, i’ve seen the stuff advertised in racing magazines so it isn’t a big secret. I’ve also heard that tire softener will give you a few more races out of a set of tires. And tire softener can’t be very expensive, or difficult to apply.
So why not just make tire softener legal? Then, the dream of a level playing field would be realized, and the guys who maybe can’t afford a new set of tires can still be competitive with those who can afford new tires.

Why would not the new guys use it also?

And, why not brew up some paint remover and acetone or whatever in the garage, getting the rubber softer and softer until there is a “problem” a la goodyeahr vs hoosier in cup a couple of decades ago?

Sometimes I kid, maybe too much.

In all seriousness, though this is a problem without a problem!

To answer your question though, “So why not just make tire softener[s] legal?” It is because they are illegal and always will be due to a relatively straightforward judgment call.

[B][I]Tire treatment is a big game and big business that brings big bucks.

The top notch series today use laboratory capabilities to check tires for any kind of products use on or in them, we are way far from a tire durometer here.

You have softener, but also anti glaze, and all kind of products that will not affect the durometer reading, but after so many laps, comes into effect to help you keep your pace while every body else is slowing down for such and such tire reasons, i.e. glazing, loss of grip, overheating, air pressure gain, and so on. And these products, for the tech at the local track to find them…tough luck Charlie!

This is a tough game. That is why, almost all big series, you buy the tires here today and you race them here today. That eliminates a lot of that very very expensive game for some top teams.

If you think the 29$ a quart tire softener is the top of the game, do some research, but sit down first, so you won’t fall on your ass when you find out all the money involved in that game with the technology available today to anybody who wants to spread the dough.[/I][/B]

Thanks Andre, i didn’t know that. I wonder how big a difference there is in lap times and tire life between the $29 a quart softener and the exotic ( expensive ) stuff you mentioned?
Tires are like any other part of a race car, there’s always going to be innovation. Like drilling holes in the sidewalls to control air pressure. Or hollow carb studs to get additional air past restrictor plates. Or removing every other spring in the seats for weight savings when stock seats were used.

softner

put a set in rotisserie over night once, could not get them to hookup. best know what you are doing.

Thanks Andre, i didn’t know that. I wonder how big a difference there is in lap times and tire life between the $29 a quart softener and the exotic ( expensive ) stuff you mentioned?
Tires are like any other part of a race car, there’s always going to be innovation. Like drilling holes in the sidewalls to control air pressure. Or hollow carb studs to get additional air past restrictor plates. Or removing every other spring in the seats for weight savings when stock seats were used.

[B][I]Look at it this way, Formula One tech is done with lasers, microscopes and some parts in laboratory. And they still can get away with some stuff.

So it’s hard to conceive that Average Joe, part time tech man at local track, with often hand made tools, even with the best intention in the world can see and detect everything. And definitlely not expensive chemicals made to be undetectable.

As far as lap time difference, if drilling 3 one thousanth of an inch holes in the side walls can help, imagine what changing the compound, heat reaction and contact patch friction and grip capabilities can do…[/I][/B]

So at this point you guys are clearly looking for something to complain about.

Impound races are done for this reason: soaking tires can improve lap times by a few tenths… it also takes the normal already expensive set of tires and adds an additional fee whether that be a $15 gallon of xylene or a few hundred dollars in “secret” formulas. It also help level the playing field so at least you know you aren’t getting beat by tires that have an extra few tenths added to them.

Andre i appreciate your knowledge of this subject however I find it hard to believe that sportsman racers are spending thousands of dollars on undetectable tire soak and chemist to apply it when most of them are in $4-5000 cars. Tire soak is easily detected and policed very well when all new tires must be bought on the day of the race and left in an impound area until just before qualifying.

No dog in the fight, but just curious: How do you check the tires on race day if they are brought with the racer? Every series I know of cuts the tire then sends it off to a lab, only to get results weeks later.

If Ricky Brooks is teching this event (he did last year) he WILL find the soakers. No sweat, Craig. The people concerned about this non-issue aren’t Sportsman racers anyway.

Damn good purse. The best you will see this year for Sportsman cars by far, period.

[QUOTE=Cuzzone88;158766]So at this point you guys are clearly looking for something to complain about.

Impound races are done for this reason: soaking tires can improve lap times by a few tenths… it also takes the normal already expensive set of tires and adds an additional fee whether that be a $15 gallon of xylene or a few hundred dollars in “secret” formulas. It also help level the playing field so at least you know you aren’t getting beat by tires that have an extra few tenths added to them.

Andre i appreciate your knowledge of this subject however I find it hard to believe that sportsman racers are spending thousands of dollars on undetectable tire soak and chemist to apply it when most of them are in $4-5000 cars. Tire soak is easily detected and policed very well when all new tires must be bought on the day of the race and left in an impound area until just before qualifying.[/QUOTE]

Cuzzone88 is the only person on this board that knows less about the subject of tire softeners than i do.

I don’t know you or how long you’ve been racing, but I seriously doubt your statement is true.

Wow Matt, apparently you don’t know who Cuzzone88 is. If you’re not entering a sportsman in the race leave it alone.

Oh my god, I’m laughing so hard. “Cuzzone88” (aka Beaner) not only knows a lot about tire softeners, he could also probably divulge 90% of the teams in FL using them! (if you held him at gunpoint!) LMAO!:laugh: