pavement- we are down to 5 tracks

Today people are more and more becoming oriented towards indoor activities for entertainment. Outdoor enthusiasts are more participants than spectators. Given that racing MUST do something to get people to come outside. Restructuring your schedules to eliminate the brutally hot and rainy months and run split seasons will help you deal with the weather. Secondly the tracks need to kiss and make up because the only hope for decent fields will be cooperative scheduling of the various classes. I wish them luck as what all of us are telling them has been said before it is up to them to listen

EG–Good point.

If they could figure out some fancy new deal for your freakin’ cell phone/lifeline and have it only available at the short tracks, they would mob the place.

I can’t… I just can’t… I give up. You are making my brain hurt with your ridiculous statements. You have fallen off the wagon bad this time…

You know what I am thankful for? The fact that my tracks understand that you have to communicate and work together and avoid stepping on each others toes to be successful. They understand that we are as important to them, as they are to us. I am thankful that they are willing to work with the racers and listen to their ideas to help the community thrive and grow. And for that reason, we have fans and cars.

The minute you are in this for yourself and only yourself, you have already failed. It’s 2015, not 1975. Times change, and you need to get with the times.

The only pavement option I have left near me is New Smyrna and outside of SpeedWeeks and the Governor’s Cup I have a hard time getting any of my casual race fan friends to go. Why? Car counts. I don’t think it would matter if the modifieds were the headline class, if there were 20 + of them to make it look like a big deal. I’d gladly go once a month for a big modified show as the headliner, blend them all together to get the car count up. When was the last time you heard a promoter say, “man, we had 30 modifieds and no fans in the stands…” Same goes for sportsman.

I still think that the Andersons way of blending all the late models together was the way to go.

When I took my family to SpeedWeeks at New Smyrna their favorie race was the ACT cars. Why? A lot of them and close racing.

I’m not convinced that closing the doors in the summer is the answer. For one thing, I’ve never missed a race because of the summer heat. And I wasn’t alone in the stands. Most drag strips don’t close in the summer, and their car count never seems to suffer very much. There’s more to the downturn in fan counts each summer that the heat. Because that’s a fairly recent phenomenon.
Tracks joining forces is really more of a fantasy we tell ourselves than an actual reality. At least in Florida. Phil might weigh in with examples from the northeast, but it just doesn’t happen in Florida. NSS and nascar can’t even cooperate on scheduling.

“You know what I am thankful for? The fact that my tracks understand that you have to communicate and work together and avoid stepping on each others toes to be successful. They understand that we are as important to them, as they are to us. I am thankful that they are willing to work with the racers and listen to their ideas to help the community thrive and grow. And for that reason, we have fans and cars.”--Pie Indaskyee

Phil, sincerely, am glad your tracks see it that way. In fact, each of them see a net-net positive for themselves. But, it still comes down to a handful of individuals, and as yet, they don’t see it that way down here.

It is like the old joke “How many shrinks does it take to change a light bulb?” Answer: “Just one, but it has to want to change”.

Roger–agreed, but how…? The only way I see to accommodate that is by making the slowest cars as fast as the fast ones with weight or etc., and of course the fast guys don’t want that. As yet no one has mandated anything, probably afraid that the fast guys will stay home leaving them with…nothing.

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;161816]“You know what I am thankful for? The fact that my tracks understand that you have to communicate and work together and avoid stepping on each others toes to be successful. They understand that we are as important to them, as they are to us. I am thankful that they are willing to work with the racers and listen to their ideas to help the community thrive and grow. And for that reason, we have fans and cars.”--Pie Indaskyee

Phil, sincerely, am glad your tracks see it that way. In fact, each of them see a net-net positive for themselves. But, it still comes down to a handful of individuals, and as yet, they don’t see it that way down here.
[/QUOTE]

Until they understand it, they will continue to tumble out of control down the hill… The edge of the cliff is fast approaching. They better find something to grab a hold of before they fall off the edge into oblivion.

Or what?

Or nothing, sir.

So fix up that beautiful racecar, and race on the tracks with all the competition, and let this deal go.

For the only difference in the real world is your own happiness, Phil.

Now, go smell a rose or something!

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;161818]Or what?

Or nothing, sir.

So fix up that beautiful racecar, and race on the tracks with all the competition, and let this deal go.

For the only difference in the real world is your own happiness, Phil.

Now, go smell a rose or something![/QUOTE]

Or nothing is right. Because if nothing is done to at least try to fix what is essentially irreparable right now, there will be nothing to “OR” about because it will be gone… I already said it once. On this current path, 10 years and FL will have no active weekly tracks.

Plenty of folks will lose a child between now and then (heaven forbid, but it will happen).

And it will be what it will be, just like most things in life, and precisely like 100% of things that are not totally in one’s own control.

That is why working on cars is so rewarding. It is time consuming, it is expensive, but you can in fact fix them.

There you go with the justification again… These tracks CAN be fixed. There are plenty of racers in FL and plenty of fans. They have to admit there is a problem first. It’s like a recovering alcoholic. You have to admit you have a problem first, to recover. These tracks all have a problem, even Showtime despite the fact that things are working (for now) there. The sooner you guys stop making excuses and justifying the problem, the sooner it will be able to be repaired. It’s like the guy driving down the road, that hears a noise in his wheel bearing, so he turns the radio up louder. :waffen093:

Actually it is like the jamoche in the back of the bus that smells smoke, but does not speak the same language as the driver.

You can bail out the back door, or you can stay on the bus hoping it stops smoking and/or makes it to your destination, but you ain’t getting the wheel bearing/rod knock fixed by yappin’.

What is that there definition of insanity again?

Oh, and, I figure your tracks are about 10 years behind us. I would suggest enjoying them.

ps–There is nothing to say this is not the bottom and there won’t be more tracks in 10 years, after all, St Pete makes it five, not four.

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;161822]Actually it is like the jamoche in the back of the bus that smells smoke, but does not speak the same language as the driver.

You can bail out the back door, or you can stay on the bus hoping it stops smoking and/or makes it to your destination, but you ain’t getting the wheel bearing/rod knock fixed by yappin’.

What is that there definition of insanity again?

Oh, and, I figure your tracks are about 10 years behind us. I would suggest enjoying them.

ps–There is nothing to say this is not the bottom and there will be more tracks in 10 years.[/QUOTE]

The only “yappin” is your jaw flappin with justification of why your failure is acceptable. Like I said, I could give two shits if FL falls on it’s face and fails. I’ll just stay here and enjoy racing for more than 15 fans and against more than 5 cars.

Our tracks 10 years behind you? You’re kidding right? We have owners and promoters that understand that this is a a sport that requires both sides to survive in this day and age. We are more like 50 years ahead of you. A number of us now are saying the same thing yet you still argue us. The definition of insanity is an OldFool who just keeps thinking it’s still 1975 and thinking what worked then will work now.

ps… FACTS say that this is the bottom and you are nearing the end if something doesnt change. There will never be more tracks in FL or any part of the country. The sport in general is bleeding to death. We found a way to stop the bleeding here and if this bunch of yankee liberal idiots up here can do it, you guys sure as hell can.

I spoke with Billy Bigley briefly about how it’s dying. He was quick to point out it’s still strong in certain areas. I think the northeast is a good example for all the reasons Phil points out.

A good point that was just made to me that I need to point out… Cooperation is FREE… The only thing working together will do, is help FL racing. Be it between tracks, or drivers and tracks, or both. Working together is the key to survival. How do I know? That’s how 99% of the racing communities in this country with multiple tracks in close proximity, operate. If you step on each others toes, it will only hurt you. Like NSS and Showtime running SLM on the same night… What good will ever come of that? It hurt both tracks. :anim_pound::anim_pound::anim_pound:

Who is arguing? I am the choir, choir boy.

I agree with you, and do what I can to support track alignment/cost reduction efforts. I supported Scott’s tar, and have made many other apparently unheeded suggestions. And fair enough, am here to offer ideas, period, not expect results.

As has been mentioned previously, NSS is not interested, they are set and happy, and Robert is also not interested and has it going on, Bithlo is out and 3 Palms and Citrus are trying to figure out their next move. I made a suggestion to Mr. Laplant this morning.

Nor am I pertinent, not Florida, not Don Nerone, not David Rodgers…

That leaves Mr. Diehl in Desoto. Perhaps you should address him privately or by name if you are talking about the only Promoter that has stated that they are interested in outside input.

Speaking of foolish, temper tantrums and insults qualify, don’t you think?

ps–I am not privvy to the details, but the problems at the tracks that are currently listed above as done or on life support appear to be in at least part due to lack of initial investment capital and/or other regrettable choices, NOT a lack of cooperation with other tracks.

And I am still pulling for them to recover fully.

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;161827]Who is arguing? I am the choir, choir boy.

I agree with you, and do what I can to support track alignment/cost reduction efforts. I supported Scott’s tar, and have made many other apparently unheeded ideas. And fair enough, am here to offer ideas, period, not expect results.

As has been mentioned previously, NSS is not interested, they are set and happy, and Robert is also not interested and has it going on, Bithlo is out and 3 Palms and Citrus are trying to figure out their next move. I made a suggestion to Mr. Laplant this morning.

Nor am I pertinent, not Florida, not Don Nerone, not David Rodgers…

That leaves Mr. Diehl in Desoto. Perhaps you should address him privately or by name if you are talking about the only Promoter that has stated that they are interested in outside input.

Speaking of foolish, temper tantrums and insults qualify, don’t you think?[/QUOTE]

I’m sorry that you so easily get butthurt, you need thicker skin. Pot - kettle - black … You come up with names for me… MY TURN! Don’t like it? Too bad so sad. Do I cry when you make up names for me? Nah…

Oh and almost every track you have mentioned above, I have spoken to except Yoho… And I have reached out to him (though I expect nothing) The others reached out to me… Amazing huh? I guess I am not such a dumbass.

Tick Tock…

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;161829]ps–I am not privvy to the details, but the problems at the tracks that are currently listed above as done or on life support appear to be in at least part due to lack of initial investment capital and/or other regrettable choices, NOT a lack of cooperation with other tracks.

And I am still pulling for them to recover fully.[/QUOTE]

There is more than one track listed above in financial distress…

Well Phil it looks like you need to come down here and be the governing body of short track racing in Florida. Us idiots down here have no clue how to do anything right and we need you smart sophisticated rich northerners to come save us like you did back in the early years when we were just relaxing on the beach which we were able to drive on at the time. But we were doing it wrong as you northerners pointed out. Now you can’t even park near the beach without a payment, if you can get to the beach. So please, COME SAVE US!