Public Announcement: How to stay Alive in the Grandstands

So it would be safer to have seats 10 feet away from the fence than 40 feet back from the fence?

Edit: That was directed a Nerone.

[QUOTE=Lurkin;162514]So it would be safer to have seats 10 feet away from the fence than 40 feet back from the fence?

Edit: That was directed a Nerone.[/QUOTE]
40 would be safer…
would 400 be even safer??
Lets fix it for sure. Only tv races and no fans . that will fix it for sure.
Opps the drivers. Well we are back to the robit in the car.
Try to get the kids safe from sports and bikes and net the pros at NASCAR do there jobs.

Don62

[QUOTE=Boneman;162513]In past years, there would likely have been fans standing next to the catch fence where the car hit. However, the recent construction made spectator access to that area off limits, and that alone may have saved lives in this case.

I like the idea of losing the lowest seats in the tri-oval area, especially after the finish line. The performance of the catch fence will be studied too, so there may be further improvements coming as a result. Eliminate the danger? Never. Why not reduce it when possible?

Maybe all the fans should just wear bike helmets? The government thinks they are safe.[/QUOTE]

Sprints with 5hp briggs. sounds safe to me.

don62

Also there have been other fatalities at Indy since 1987 when the wheel of Tony Bettenhausen’s car went up into the top row and killed that guy, but yes he was the last “spectator” killed by debris. But since then tremendous strides have been made including tethers on a lot things, and higher fences, soft walls…and moving people back.

We’ve all seen these great advances in safety improvements which make it safer so government doesn’t have to step in, hopefully. Should we bury our heads in the sand because racing is safer than football now? If they hadn’t beefed up the fences after 30 people were injured when Larsen got into the fence a few years ago we might be having a very different, and sad, conversation right now. I applaud napcar because I don’t wanna see racing restricted to video games.

Heck,telling viewers 10 times to seek immediate medical attention for an erection lasting more than 4 hours alone probably saved a few lives.:blink: