Brickyard 400 not on the radio?

I don’t have cable so I don’t watch too many races, but I do like listening to them on the radio while doing things around the house/yard and shop anyways- but I guess not this week.

Anyone know why it’s not on the radio? I live about 35 miles east of Tallahassee and scanned the entire dial and can’t seem to find it…

I guess they are trying to hide it from radio listeners now like they are the from the TV viewers. I don’t have XM/Sirrus radio either- my truck is way too old for that kind of fancy doodad! :laugh:

Indy Broadcast

Thank you Rick. The only problem with that is I use satellite for internet and have band width usage limitations.
Over the winter I tried to live-stream college hockey radio broadcasts- it was super glitchy and I bumped up against my limit.
then to top it off they slowed me waaaay down and my computer was about useless for 24 hours- LoL

But thanks again for the heads up- I’ll prolly set it up and just come in and listen for a few minutes as I grab a cold one :ernaehrung004:

I know this sounds silly. But I wanted to keep you updated. Caution is on the speedway for a balloon, yes a balloon. It wasn’t actually on the track or anything it was kind of hovering above the track on the fence.

The only question I have is did NASCAR release the balloon. I turned the TV on at lap 22 and the field looked very strung out and only 36 cars on the lead lap. I will try to time the last 20 or fewer laps and tune in then. I know the problem with satellite computer hookups they can destroy your usage. I have Hughes net and I get kicked off every hour just before the quarter hour.

[QUOTE=Scott Prentice;163269]I don’t have cable so I don’t watch too many races, but I do like listening to them on the radio while doing things around the house/yard and shop anyways- but I guess not this week.

Anyone know why it’s not on the radio? I live about 35 miles east of Tallahassee and scanned the entire dial and can’t seem to find it…

I guess they are trying to hide it from radio listeners now like they are the from the TV viewers. I don’t have XM/Sirrus radio either- my truck is way too old for that kind of fancy doodad! :laugh:[/QUOTE]

It’s in line with the new nascar marketing program. The marketing dept. realized that almost all of the nascar tracks have removed tens of thousands of seats they couldn’t sell tickets for. So since they have far fewer seats for sale, they feel it would be counter productive to encourage new fans to come to the races. And nascar has never given a damn about the existing fans, so the new program is working fine.

Matt you are dead on the grandstands were the worst I have seen and it seemed the densest crowds were in the corners where the accidents are most likely to happen. Perhaps they are replacing the traditional race fans who grew up loving our sport for its side by side competition. No I am not a Busch fan but I will give the devil his due.He gets the job done and deserves a shot at the chase.

I attended the race there in 2007 and the stands were filled to capacity.It is nothing short of alarming seeing how many have vacated the sport in a short period of time.

[QUOTE=Scott Prentice;163269]Anyone know why it’s not on the radio? I live about 35 miles east of Tallahassee and scanned the entire dial and can’t seem to find it…

I guess they are trying to hide it from radio listeners now like they are the from the TV viewers. I don’t have XM/Sirrus radio either- my truck is way too old for that kind of fancy doodad! :laugh:[/QUOTE]Probably because it’s at Indy - all Indianapolis races are broadcast on the IMS Radio Network, not the “normal” MRN or PRN stations.

I TRIED to watch the race. I switched to it between commercials on Naked Dating and Bar Rescue. What a !#$!%ing joke, NASCAR!

It is not a secret.

From 1/4 mile on up, close, exciting racing is inversely proportional to track length (that is, it gets worse the longer the track gets).

There are perhaps exceptions, but that is the rule.

But big tracks seem fancier, the officials feel more important, so…

I was able to listen to the last 100 laps or so on the radio. I was struck by how mind numbingly long the cautions are at big tracks. And in this case, how often. Since i didn’t see it on tv, i’m wondering why a caution was needed at all for the Trevor Bayne incident. He hit the wall a glancing blow, drove the car right on down pit road…why a caution? Same for Earnhardt Jr. and his spin. Harmless spin into the grass, drove right out of the grass and continued on while dropping some grass ( no, not that kind ) on the inside of the track. Was a caution really necessary? I say that because the last 20 laps seemed to take much longer to complete than the 100 laps or so total that i listened to.
I can’t think of any other activity that spectators watch that would have 8 “cautions” where the action completely stops, and the participants just mill around at slow speed for up to ten minutes at a time. Then the “restart” and action resumes for less than a minute, and then " caution", the action completely stops again for another ten minutes or so.
It seems to me nascar needs to a lot more frugal with that caution flag.

I was thankful for them.

After taking the green, it wasn’t long before the field was strung out and that was…that.

Most of the racing was right after the green.

One would think they could get more done in the time it takes to run a lap under caution at that venue.

[QUOTE=Matt Albee;163288]I was able to listen to the last 100 laps or so on the radio. I was struck by how mind numbingly long the cautions are at big tracks. And in this case, how often. Since i didn’t see it on tv, i’m wondering why a caution was needed at all for the Trevor Bayne incident. He hit the wall a glancing blow, drove the car right on down pit road…why a caution? Same for Earnhardt Jr. and his spin. Harmless spin into the grass, drove right out of the grass and continued on while dropping some grass ( no, not that kind ) on the inside of the track. Was a caution really necessary? I say that because the last 20 laps seemed to take much longer to complete than the 100 laps or so total that i listened to.
I can’t think of any other activity that spectators watch that would have 8 “cautions” where the action completely stops, and the participants just mill around at slow speed for up to ten minutes at a time. Then the “restart” and action resumes for less than a minute, and then " caution", the action completely stops again for another ten minutes or so.
It seems to me nascar needs to a lot more frugal with that caution flag.[/QUOTE]

Nascar has to throw cautions when the camera supports it to offset the bogus cautions for tape and balloons. Given todays racecar that NASCAR has created through their anal rules it takes cautions to even simulate a racing scenario.

Cautions = competition

Long Greens = none

IF they did away with their “alimentary canal” rules, the fast would get faster and run even further away.

I am failing to see how that would help.

Again, it is de tracks, boss, de tracks.

MOST races of any sort on that rectangle have been strung out, boring affairs.

GIVEN the big tracks and the plates, er, tapered spacers and templates and on and on, I am thinking Bruton’s caution rule would be better than what we have.

That is, if the leader is “x” distance ahead (say 2 seconds) and has been for “y” number of laps (say 20), then a “competition yellow” will be thrown.

It would be aptly named. “We are throwing the yellow so we got some competition”.

At least it would be a legit yellow flag that we understand rather than how they insult our intelligence. As for loosened rules maybe yes and maybe no. I don’t think our car builders would create aero packages that preclude passing. I don’t mind NASCAR controlling the engines. Perhaps some chicanes on the cookie cutter tracks to put more into the handling and driving than just speed.I for one make no attempt to watch the mile and a half tracks.

“As for loosened rules maybe yes and maybe no [regarding making for even lousier racing]. I don’t think our car builders would create aero packages that preclude passing.”–eg

C’mon, man… Smokey Yunick, Junior Johnson, & Richard Petty were all about “getting everything they could get” through aero–in the mid '60s.

I will wager they did not think about passing, they thought about being faster than the other guy through advantage.

If you are faster, there is no passing to be concerned with, you just leave.