Supermodifieds...

Went to Sandusky Speedway this past Saturday for the 38th Annual Hy-Miler Nationals (Hy-Miler is a chain of convenience stores up here).

25 cars, 100 laps…wasn’t a bad race; the first two leaders had problems and had to park. Tim Ice led for the first 48 laps before breaking, and then DJ Shullick led for a few laps until he, too, broke. Jon McKennedy in the #61 ended up taking home the trophy.

Somebody needs to find out if either MSA (Midwest Supermodified Association) or ISMA (based at Oswego) could head down south to New Smyrna for maybe three nights of winged mayhem.

Sandusky is a fairly flat half-mile. The outlaw Late Models get around this joint in about 16.5 seconds; the Supers are turning 14-second laps. :stuck_out_tongue:

Lining up for a heat race:

Tim Ice - who also runs the Main Event outlaw Late Model series up here, led the first 48 laps and was pulling away when he broke:

Eventual winner, Jon McKennedy:

The field lines up for the 100-lapper:

Please bring 'em to New Smyrna.

Don’t know what the occasion would be, but those cars would also look good at Desoto.

Bobby…?

I don’t get it
look at the width of those tires

why do they have to run the smallest possible here?

big tires and let them EAT

Just spent 2 weeks camping at Oswego. Otto Sitterly won the the king of wings there 2 weeks ago same series. Those cars are FAST.

I was at NSS for Speedweeks around 1979 or so, they ran the Supers during Speedweeks. Heck of a show. Probably out of the question now, Robert Hart won’t spend the money to bring them down here like his father did, and those guys aren’t going to tow all the way down here for $3000 to win. I remember the place was packed that night.

[QUOTE=Pun33;163320]I don’t get it
look at the width of those tires

why do they have to run the smallest possible here?

big tires and let them EAT[/QUOTE]

I hear the Sandusky Supers are going to the Hoosier 750 starting next year. They’ve decided wide tires give “them big motor cars” too much of an advantage. The 750s will let driving skill win instead of horsepower.

All 4 tires are f45s all 4 different widths 1000$ a set they are allowed only 1 set a night practice quailify & race. Those races do not pay much different than ours on the non wing stuff the wing races pay more.

Tom,

I was @ Oswego speedway 7/18 for my first Super mod race. Had a look at them at Orlando’s PRI show a few years ago.

Someone at the track said Oswego’s owner has farm land in Homestead FL. Maybe he could run a track in FL near a airport! The show was good and moved
along well. And how about that safety crew?

These machines are the real deal—" the shit"—
Sandusky is a feisty ‘lil half-miler semi-banked bullring, and these guys’ fly.
Sandusky is very similar to the Fort Wayne, Indiana’s Baer Field Raceway, where I saw these machines play a few years back, on a Friday nite, around 2008, along with a full schedule of classes, to boot.
MSA was the Body, 23 of these machines lines were on track with 3 heat races to go on top of that… Huge crowd was on hand, and a full nite it was.
Afterwards, I talked with the local promoter at that time, Tom Ische (God rest his soul) and he stated that this MSA Series was never going to be invited back again; I pressed as to why, and he wouldn’t give me a valid answer…so I pressed the MSA promoter that nite, Jaysky was his name, and he said that he would never bring his Series back to that Raceway again, and that his Sales director gave Baer Field the sale of a lifetime, really cheap, to bring these MSA machines into Fort Wayne for a night.
Fort Waynes’s Baer field Speedway got a heck of a show that night, on a bargain price, and the local promoter was mighty angry, and I couldn’t get an answer as to why. Still can’t.

I was there7/18 also, the owners are Johnny and Eric Torrese their dad raced there and so did Johnny. They are only interested in super modified racing but are going to explore all avenues to make the place work. One thing they are doing is under 16 admitted free to try to spur interest from younger people.
Johnny and Erics TNT farms and Quality Kid Produce were my #1 customers of my equipment repair business until I retired so I was on the deal at Oswego for camping and all access to all races.

Awesome

looking cars Jimmy. thanks for the pics. Florida outlaw modifieds…10" slicks for those who want to fly too…Just sayin

10" hoosers

Florida Outlaw Modifieds are 4 cly. engines

Lol

LOL ok Florida KMA modifieds or Florida quit slowin us down modified or florida modified mods or whatever names mean nothing

[QUOTE=AB195;163327]I pressed the MSA promoter that nite, Jaysky was his name, and he said that he would never bring his Series back to that Raceway again, and that his Sales director gave Baer Field the sale of a lifetime, really cheap, to bring these MSA machines into Fort Wayne for a night.
Fort Waynes’s Baer field Speedway got a heck of a show that night, on a bargain price, and the local promoter was mighty angry, and I couldn’t get an answer as to why. Still can’t.[/QUOTE]Kevin Jaycox is the “owner”/series director of Midwest SuperModified Association (MSA). The Jaycox’s also run and promote Sandusky and the Main Event outlaw Late Model series up here. They also just recently took over Mansfield (now Spitzer Motor Speedway), where the NASCAR Trucks used to run.

I always said if they ran super mods down here in Florida, that’s what I’d be racin, but it will never happen. Lol. I’m with Doug 100%, I’ve argued for years they should let us be on the 10 slick.

I got to see the supermods at Lorain County in Ohio this past Saturday.Lorain is a semi-banked 1/3 mile west of Cleveland Ohio.Unfortunately only 12 were there but still put on a lightning fast show.I grew up watching these cars in the early 60s in Columbus before they became more of just a northern Ohio thing.Still popular in New York state as well as parts of New England these cars are a far cry from the ones I grew up watching or anything running today for that matter.If you think a pavement sprint is fast catch a supermodified show sometime.You will think the sprints run like a compact class then.