Tony Stewart & Danica

Does anyone else think it is suspicious that for most of the year Tony has run as bad or worse than Danica, and all of the sudden, when word starts seeping out that she is on the verge of resigning and signing new sponsors, Ol’ Tony all the sudden starts running better?

Actually, think it is coincidence.

My take–Tony is over the hill and his “problems” have knocked the competitive edge out of him, and Danica is still, um, gaining on it. Maybe.

Further, believe that in this case, neither his on track performance, nor hers, is key in the signing of sponsors.

And am good with that…

I am not an Cup insider, but I have a couple friends who are, and I know most of you know this, but money rules everything there. Tony is a 3 time champ, Kurt is a champ, Harvick is a champ, and Danica is, well…Kurt and Harvick have run up front all year, So it would make her look REAL bad if she was the only one wallerin around in the back.

Never thought about that.

IMO, Tony’s wallerin’ around ain’t makin’ her wallerin’ around look any better.

I always thought it was self leveling–that Tony’s sponsors want him to perform and his future sponsorship is just as important as Danica’s.

By the way, who even are Tony’s sponsors these days…?

Danica is “marketable”. More power to her.

And Dude, have you seen her latest handstands?

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;163549]Never thought about that.

IMO, Tony’s wallerin’ around ain’t makin’ her wallerin’ around look any better.

I always thought it was self leveling–that Tony’s sponsors want him to perform and his future sponsorship is just as important as Danica’s.

By the way, who even are Tony’s sponsors these days…?

Danica is “marketable”. More power to her.

And Dude, have you seen her latest handstands?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I do enjoy her yoga updates ; )

Kevin Harvick - 2 wins, 14 top 5, 18 top 10 - Kurt Busch - 2 wins, 7 top 5, 12 top 10 - Danica Patrick - 0 top 5, 2 top 10 - Tony Stewart - 0 top 5, 2 top 10
…HMMMMM

“So you’re telling me that Jaques is saying he got beat up by a girl?” --Danica Patrick

(I did NOT make that up–Source: USA Today)

Annnnnnnnnnd in other news Michael Waltrip and Danica have soooooooooooooo much in common, including on track prowess. Another coincidence…?

danica

she is running middle of the pack = outrunning half the men.

Maybe Tony sure switch sponsors with Kurt’s. Kurt’s car is being sponsored by the half owner of the teams. Kurt gets more tv time for the money. When did the average consumer buy something from Haas. She maybe beating half the men, however, they are spending a lot more money run to mid pack then anyone else.

Back in the day you built your own cars, won races and championships at the local level, somehow financed a Sportsman car, and then moved up to Grand National if you were talented enough.

NOW, it is money first, a la the Jeff Gordon model.

Gordon (and others) are talented, no doubt, but the prize money is not enough to pay the bills, so basically, Marketability ultimately trumps talent when getting a ride.

It takes both to win championships, but only marketability to get a ride.

ps–Haas is selling big-a CNC machines, and whether it is true or not he believes Kurt is helping sell 'em. As you know he is starting a F1 team for the same reason. The financial return.

See the quote below yours. She is in on a FIRST tier team, and she is outrunning (sometimes) second and third tier teams. I am sure she could kick my butt on my best day, but I am not paid millions of dollars, and neither is Cole Whitt. If you are at that level you have to perform, in my opinion. That in a nutshell is why I don’t respect big time racing.

“I am sure she could [out wheel me] on my best day…” –Jacko

I am not so sure. You are no slouch, sir.

If one has enough money, and just a little talent, Dickie Anderson can make them look pretty good at NSS.

And if they choose to do that with the coin as opposed to, say, buying a speedboat, more power to 'em.

Annnnnnnnnnnnd the converse:

Who knows, I could be a fair shoe.

But I did not make the personal sacrifices to either amass a mass-o-coin to take to Dickie, or go to the trouble (and sacrifice) to build a car and come up with the trailer and all of that.

So, for the sake of discussion, I could be “better” than some drivers, but we will never know.

Is that “fair”? IMO, absolutely.

It takes money to get on the track, more money to contend, talent to win.

But they all deserve to be there. Including the flat black guys!

When are you comig to check out Showtime and Desoto Joe? West Side!

I hope to soon, we are looking at schedules. I have been extremely busy with work and family. Plus, and I hate to admit this, but the heat has scared me off, too. After working outside all week when it has been in the mid Ninty’s, I just haven’t been able to muster the umph to go racing in even more heat!

I know how you feel Joe. I’ve already walked 10 miles most Saturday’s in the sun before I even get to the racetrack. It’s a large part of why I stopped racing. Just too hot to work in it and then go race for me. But both tracks are worth checking out for different reasons.

[QUOTE=jacko241;163519]Does anyone else think it is suspicious that for most of the year Tony has run as bad or worse than Danica, and all of the sudden, when word starts seeping out that she is on the verge of resigning and signing new sponsors, Ol’ Tony all the sudden starts running better?[/QUOTE]Tony typically picks it up this time of year, anyways. When it gets down to the last few races before the Chase, someone lights a fire underneath of Tony and he starts racin’ again.

That is a fact, Jimmy. I just hate the fact that talent is lower on the totem pole than money.