Nightstalker Baby!

I went to vsp tonight after finding out they got rained out last night. Great weather tonight and huge field of thunderstocks for Benny Corbin Memorial.

Good number of wrecks slowed the preliminary races, but show kept going, albeit slowly.

Glad I waited and watched every lap of the featured race, Billy Bishop? Aka Nightstalker is a bad ass! He is in his 70s I think? Started 23rd or so because of a wreck in his heat, had moved up to 14th or so prior to a tangle in front of him that slowed him back to 23rd again. He methodically and smoothly worked his way back up. He wasn’t flashy but he never met a car he couldn’t pass tonight. Last corner of last lap he got by the leader for the win. Lots of blown right fronts including David showers who had led every lap till then. One of the coolest races I have seen in a while. Hope they don’t dq him again.

Thanks to everyone who came out and supported this race. Nightstalker put on quite a show.

It was a hell of a race! This was probably the best racing show I’ve been to all year! I loved seeing the pits full of cars and exciting races in all divisions. And you cant beat a last lap pass for the win!

I noticed a few other odds and ends last night:

Being that it was sunday - i would not have been upset to lose the “intermission” after the pit crew competition. I actually thought that piece was a cool thing and an extra $400 for the team that won.

Speaking of money - they had a dash for cash for another $400 and other contingency money throughout the field and some huge trophies. They also had a non-qualifiers race - though i didnt stick around to see it as i had to leave ASAP. It seemed like they spent a ton of money not only on the winner but elsewhere too.

I noticed everybody involved gave each driver a handshake and thank you for being there prior to the start.

And a $1400 50/50. This was a big race and they did it well.

It was great to see so much money put into this for everyone. They really went out of their way to try to reward these drivers for coming out and it made for some great competition!

Kent corbin

Man I wish I could have made it back up Sunday after being their sat night till it rained out. Tons of cars for sure and great heat race till the rain came in. Kent Corbin is a class act. He put a lot of time and money in this race for everyone. He bought like 50 cases of oil and other products from us to give away just to thank the teams that supported his dad’s race. I’m glad he got a great turn out from the drivers and fans. Heard his car got tore up but I’m sure he’s just happy from all the support he got.

Excellent show. Was there for every lap of both nights.

I’m not usually a fan of big “entry level division” shows, but VSP is the exception. Years ago they had quite a few $5000 to win shows for Street Stocks, and were always good shows.

That spiked my interest in checking the Corbin Memorial.

It turned out to be one of the best times I’ve had at a racetrack all season.

I’ll positively be back for the next one.

OUTSTANDING value for a $15 price tag, and saw probably 20 different races during those 2 nights.

[QUOTE=Frasson118;165404]Excellent show. Was there for every lap of both nights.

I’m not usually a fan of big “entry level division” shows, but VSP is the exception. Years ago they had quite a few $5000 to win shows for Street Stocks, and were always good shows.

That spiked my interest in checking the Corbin Memorial.

It turned out to be one of the best times I’ve had at a racetrack all season.

I’ll positively be back for the next one.

OUTSTANDING value for a $15 price tag, and saw probably 20 different races during those 2 nights.[/QUOTE]

Hell the qualifying races had more action than most tracks have in an entire month of racing!

If I’m counting correctly, I saw 23 different races for $15 (plus $5 for the car because I always choose to go to the drive-in section).

Where are you gonna get that much action, for those few dollars?

The bulk of those races were solid fields too.

From the outside looking in, they seemed pretty racer friendly as well. I would be curious if that is a perception shared by the drivers or not. The pits seemed more full than the stands which weren’t empty.

VSP crowds are deceptive. If you only look at the grandstands, it doesn’t look as impressive as strolling through turns 1 & 2 in the drive in section.
I’d be willing to bet there’s a 2-1 margin of drive in versus walk ins.
There’s a BUNCH of folks in the drive in.
But you can’t show up at the last minute thinking you’re gonna get a good spot. If you’re not there 2 hours early, you won’t be on the front row.
Dedicated fans that make every race a tailgate party… and I wouldn’t be seen anywhere else but that corner.

Been doing that same area for over 30 years… pretty sure some of my ashes will be scattered there when that day comes

you bet–

Scattered ashes for sure, you bet, we’ll handle that. But the Aluminum cans left behind will be placed in the re-cycle bin.

Just kidding–we’ll put the ashes in the re-cycle bin, too.