Modified Rules and Procedures for Gov Cup Weekend

I’ve actually raced modifieds and love the class but theres a lot of cars with ford lowers on them and the roll centers changed with ball joints. But like I said in a post earlier the whole clip thing will be clearer on next year’s rules.

[QUOTE=50racer;165909]Ricky we have been racing modifieds for 14 years and have not seen a ford lower on a Impala or large car frame from GM. We have had at least 6 different chassis and not one with the Ford lowers.

What the 7 car is doing is changing the roll center. Not saying that someone has not done it, just saying that the majority do not run the Ford lowers. If they did the offset on the wheels would make it stand out.

Thanks for your input on this matter.[/QU

well guess what? when you build a new modified and in the building of it you already know your using the ford lower controls arm which lefthander recommends call and ask them. because there thousand of ford lower control arms around most all of fords big cars had the same lower police car taxi cabs city cars. tons in the junk yard nothing is going to stand out . the rear end is built to match the front . and we are talking about a bolt on item not changing a whole front clip . most every mod is running them believe it or not . maybe you should do more home work or sometimes just ask questions .

I haven’t run a modified in 10 yrs but we had Ford Lowers on a car and Donny Lewis and Mr Nerone threw us out for it. We also ran the first Tube Clip car allowed and it made things so much easier and less expensive.
I think you should run whatever “stock” lowers you want. Part of racing is using your ingenuity to make the car faster. as long as they stay in the legal tread width whats the issue?

RUNNING FORD LOWERS WIDENS THE FRONT TREAD WIDTH ALMOST THREE INCHES LETTING YOU RUN LESS OFFSET WHEELS GETTING CLOSER TO ZERO SCRUB SOME PEOPLE JUST WIDEN THE CLIP AND GET THE SAME RESULTS :stuck_out_tongue:

AMF–

You are the chassis man, no doubt, so up front, I defer to your expertise.

When you say widen the chassis (with shorter “A” frames), I assume the wheel offset is the same as with the wider Ford arms–in order to continue to get the same “less scrub” effect.

But aren’t there other negatives, such as increased camber gain (or loss, depending on which side of the car) when the chassis leans in a corner due to the shorter A frames?

If so, does that not put the advantage back to the narrow clip, Ford arm setup?

All of this is why I think objective measurements could be drawn up, and then who cares if it is Camaro, Ford, or BMW if it specs out…