??? for everyone especially Modified Owners,Drivers and Crew

What does everyone think about doing away with ignition boxes and only allowing HEI distributors ?

Doug,

I (think) I like where you are going with this…

But have put in a lot of time with HEIs and the advance curve sucks. Far prefer the earlier points type distributor curve. Do you (all) just lock them down at 34 degrees (or whatever)?

Also, have found when they miss the coil fires straight down through the cap into the shaft. Nice.

Assuming you have those things handled, it might be a way to limit trickery.

Just gonna cost more money. I think I know where you are going with this, and I guarantee the majority of the traction control devices are not in the MSD box. BUT, supposedly MSD makes a tool, that can detect TC in a box. My guess is most units are hidden under the seat, in the radio box or radio harness, some even work in the rear brake lines.

They run the Crane box in the Super Late Model series at NSS and you can not mess with this box, in is poured solid inside. MSD is trying to get Davis Tech from altering there boxes, but we know some racers are still getting them it just takes big money. I would go for the Crane 6000 box and it will make it harder to hide the traction control it would have to be outside the box.

The traction control has to have wires run to it if it is outside the box, it has to be able to retard the timing in some way and read the RPMs

I got rid of all the HEI when I switched to OWM and MSD. Now someone is asking to switch. I say NO! Leave good alone and get the tech people educated in ways to detect TC…
When found, make the penalty harsh enough to deter further cheating. Loss of points for the season, $$$, and announce it for all to see. Goes for tire soaking too. JMO.
-JIM-

Have the winner put the nose of the car against the wall and do a burn out,if the car will not send him to the trailer

[QUOTE=50racer;166546]They run the Crane box in the Super Late Model series at NSS and you can not mess with this box, in is poured solid inside. MSD is trying to get Davis Tech from altering there boxes, but we know some racers are still getting them it just takes big money. I would go for the Crane 6000 box and it will make it harder to hide the traction control it would have to be outside the box.

The traction control has to have wires run to it if it is outside the box, it has to be able to retard the timing in some way and read the RPMs[/QUOTE]

Not all TC devices retard the timing. There are ones, though not as popular, that work with the rear brakes, by engaging them when wheel spin is detected, all done wirelessly

I know where yu are all headed with this,it’s out there, we all no it,but how can you detect it??? I have the upmost respect for a teck man that goes by the name Ricky brooks Even tho I’ve never met the man anyone that will throw a racer out of one of the biggest races of the year regardless of his last name has my respect,you wrong you’re wrong end of the story,I would love to here his input on these so called boxes,with the clear bottoms that have
the one wire that goes to nothing,Btw there is nothing more than I would love too see as if we could obtain Mr brooks services for next years services for the greatest Modified race of the year The 8th annual EBR memorial, that way we could jusT END all the bullshit that we go threw every year cuz this won does that and this won does the other,Jmo Ricky this is my phone number 813/267/3710 give me a call if you can T carreno

HEI Traction Control

There are 2 companies that I know of that
make HEI ignition with TC. There was a owm
at citrus that won a lot of races a few years
ago with it. It was exposed when Circle Track
Magazine did a story with pictures of the car
at Citrus winning. REMEMBER???

Magneto? Points?

Aside from the unfair competitive advantage of traction control, one of the major attractions of the mods (for me) is the fact that they are sideways due to not enough tire for the motor.

Take that away, and although they may be faster, they are somehow…tamer.

So…

Thank you for the reply’s…lets see we got tech? well i would like to ask who has gotten caught in tech with T.C…I think no one has…kinda blows tech out of the water

Curtis mentioned the Black Daytona box with the adjustable slew rate…hmmm tech was biast…

Dalton mentioned other devices like rear brakes…Ive seen the rears glowing on a couple trucks

Dalton also mentioned a tool…I am curious… hell I want a jammer so when i roll up on one the guy gets out of shape like I am and old school likes

Doug has a good point but not sure if feasible…

50 racer mentioned the crane box…would that make a difference…I surely would try

So can you use T.C. with a HEI distributor…and no offense Jim i dont care if you threw yours away…But I agree that educating all and harsh fines

What is the answer in our sport ? let everyone run them ? or figure out a smart easy way to police them ? Is there a way to police them ? In my humble opinion it is a shit way to win and a black eye to our sport.

Ricky Brooks…I see you have posted on here. I would love to hear your opinion.

Two thoughts:

1. If a car has the rear wheels jacked up and is in gear and revved up, will that simulate wheel spin and the timing will drop off and/or the rpm drop? If so, that may be a tech option to check…

2. Really the only way that comes to mind to absolutely get it under control is the (hateful) impound deal. Like tires. Like restrictor plates.

That is, everyone runs a HEI. Prior to the races marked distributor caps-with-coils and trigger modules are handed out to be added to each racer’s distributor.

Afterwards they are collected and checked. Every race. What a pain for all parties. But I believe it would do it…

I believe you when you say they control the rear brakes, but i can not believe that the device that activates the rear brakes can not be found by just checking for it. there has to be a mechanical device that applies the brakes and there has to be a control wire to activate. Davis Technology on there website show the units they all have a power supply and a control wire connection. If this is install in the MSD box you will never see it. I like the idea of right after the race the top 3 cars go against the wall and there better be smoke coming off the rear tires.

If you mandate the Crane Box the track has the option of having boxes that the they switch out at random with the top three cars, It will soon correct it self when the cheater will find it not worth the cost.

Yoho bought the MSD box from the 7 car after the Eddie Brann race. What did they find? We have transponders on these cars just look at the lap times. You wonder how the car can run lap after lap within hundreds of each lap. Just not done without help.

This needs to be addressed by all tracks or we will start losing cars because one car wins everytime it shows up.

Also the tracks are trying to get the rules set for the fab front clips, I have heard the the Impala geometry will be the only clip allowed that will even the field with the stock clips. Cope I heard is going to be building these clips.

Circle track magazine

[QUOTE=50racer;166567]If you mandate the Crane Box the track has the option of having boxes that the they switch out at random with the top three cars, It will soon correct it self when the cheater will find it not worth the cost.

Yoho bought the MSD box from the 7 car after the Eddie Brann race. What did they find? We have transponders on these cars just look at the lap times. You wonder how the car can run lap after lap within hundreds of each lap. Just not done without help.

This needs to be addressed by all tracks or we will start losing cars because one car wins everytime it shows up.

Also the tracks are trying to get the rules set for the fab front clips, I have heard the the Impala geometry will be the only clip allowed that will even the field with the stock clips. Cope I heard is going to be building these clips.[/QUOTE]
Take a look at one of the newest circle track magazines. He has a cup style ignition box ??? Ironically under the tech and safety section

Give credit where credit is due

To all of you worried about the 7 car cheating, you should consider that the car was built by one of the best car builders in the country and it is driven by one of the best young talents to come out of Florida in ages. Just saying!

The box that Yoho took out of thr 7 car had traction control in it per someone that knows. Has a Camaro front end and has one of the best drivers around. They add up to winning. Enough said!!!

How about financial rewards, like crime stoppers almost for any tips that lead to the exposing of any traction control device?

First of all

THis thread wasn’t started to point any fingers. I have raced josh several times and he has beaten me several times and I may even have beaten him a few. I posted in another thread that I think himself and family are good people. And yes he can drive.Dam rite he can. I do not know mr Anderson personally . The intent was to ask some questions about HEI vs. Ignition boxes and yes it was an open ended question.

I do know Dick personally and he works very hard to make that car fast. Josh is a great kid and heck of a driver. These guy’s are not running traction control. I bet if Yoho found a tampered MSD he would have fined and/or suspended them. After Showtime they went to NSS dominated there and cleared the tech guru Ricky Brooks.