Such A Sad Day... Marvin Panch Passes...

The family of Marvin Panch is sadden to announce the passing of NASCAR Legend Marvin E. Panch earlier today in Daytona Beach, Florida.

Marvin Panch was a pioneer in NASCAR racing winning 17 NASCAR sanctioned events driving for top car builders such as Pete DePaulo, Smokey Yunick, Ray Fox, Holman-Moody and of course the Wood Brothers, where Marvin picked up his racing nickname ?Pancho?. Marvin is best known for his smooth driving style which enabled him to be in contention for the victory at the end of a race. After his retirement from racing in 1966, Marvin went on to become one of the first color commenters for MRN Radio and then pursue a career with Greyrock and Raybestos before retiring in the late 80?s.

A RV enthusiast, Marvin spent his time traveling in his RV between his homestead in Port Orange, Florida and various locations in North Carolina.

Marvin Panch was inducted into the National Motorsports Press Association Hall of Fame in 1987 and was named one of the top 50 drivers by NASCAR in 1998.

Marvin is survived by his daughter Marvette Panch Bagwell and husband Kevin of Port Orange, Florida, two additional daughters; Pamela and Marvan in California and numerous relatives in Minnesota. He was preceded in death by his wife of over 50 years Bettie Gong Panch and his son Marvin Richard Panch.

A Celebration of Live service is tentative planned during the 2016 Daytona Speed Weeks in Daytona, Florida. The family asks for privacy in this time of mourning. Condolences can be left on Marvin Panch?s Facebook page at Redirecting....

On a personal note: Marvin and I became good friends while I was working in Daytona and this comes as a complete shock to me… One of the nicest people I’ve ever met in the racing business… Not a good way to start the new year… Please keep the Panch family in your prayers…

1. Marvin before the 1957 Convertible race on the beach…
  2. Marvin in victory lane after the 1961 Daytona 500 with daughter Marvette and son Richie…

Marvin Panch at the 1957 Convertible race___.jpg

Sad day indeed. I worked for Richie Panch as a spotter the first years WTBS Superstation televised the 24 Hours of Daytona. Richie inherited his father’s pleasant nature, and I was very sad when he was killed. God bless the family.

RIP Marvin.

Thanks for the memories…