Nasty crash at Auburdale Speedway in Sunoco Super Late Model Series 100

Kudos go out to Matt Nichols, his EMT crew and the entire Auburndale Speedway safety crew for the professional way they went into action after a nasty looking crash in turns one and two during the running of the Sunoco Super Late Model Series, Speedway Auto Sales sponsored 100 lap race.

John Coffman crashed his #58 car broadsde into the driver’s door side of the #59x car of Becca Monopoli, at nearly full throttle, in the aftermath of a seconds earlier two car spin out. The safety crews response proved very beneficial. Coffman was unconscious at first with the Auburndale Speedway EMT crew led by Nichols working with him he regained consciousness. Monopoli had a bruised right arm, left leg and a little shaken up, but was able to continue to race after a visit to the pits.

There was concern by the EMT crew that Coffman may have suffered a concussion or possible other complications and for precautionary reasons an ambulance was called in to take him to the hospital.

Thanks for the update John.

I’ve heard back from John Coffman and this is an exact quote from him, "Well I’m sore as hell rijht now after the big crash at Auburndale Speedway, but after x- rays and a CT scan I’m ok.

its funny you don’t mention him driving thru us first and then into Becca, Thx for the concern

Yes you are right. Upon viewing a couple of photos taken by track photographer Tyler Sontag, I can see where Coffman caught a bit of the #15 car driven by Sean Lemaster as well before squarely hitting the driver’s door region of Becca’s car. Did Sean sustain any injuries?

Perhaps if Tyler knows how to post those pictures he has to this thread they can be seen by all.

Yes you are right. Upon viewing a couple of photos taken by track photographer Tyler Sontag, I can see where Coffman caught a bit of the #15 car driven by Sean Lemaster as well before squarely hitting the driver’s door region of Becca’s car. How is Sean? Did he get any injuries in this crash?

I found a link to one of Tyler’s photos of the accident that shows just what you are saying. Click on the link below to see it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208039509617606&set=rpd.1594937303&type=3&theater

His neck was a little sore but he said it was the hardest hit he has ever experienced. The fuel cell was crushed as the bumper bar was pushed up and the jacking bar was pushed back, no leaks thou. The 2x2 cross tubing tore between the frame rails and the rt side frame rail kickup is bent. Luckily the hood, nose, & fenders can be used with replacing the front bumper. We’ll be ready for the next race at Desoto.

It was surely a hard hit as it seemed that Coffman didn’t lift eventhough he appeared to have had time.

yeah not sure why he didn’t lift, someone in the stands said his throttle stuck but I’m not sure of that either