last completed lap or movable finish line?

After two race finishes over the weekend that resulted in race officials having to review video tape to declare a winner (one being Fridays ARCA race the other Saturdays xfinity series race) that begs the question. Should ARCA and NASCAR be like most weekly race tracks and go back to the last completed lap or keep things the way they are now by freezing the field at the point of caution or using scoring loops which essentially creates a moveable finish line and does away with the importance of an actual finish line under the circumstances given in both races this weekend.

NASCAR really only has one rule:

[SIZE=“4”]1: “Whatever we feel like doing right now is The Rule”[/SIZE]

It has always been thus, and I do not see it changing…

Old school it has always pretty much been that way with them and yes you are right I don’t see anything changing either just searching for an honest opinion on what would be preferred both by fans and racers so let’s play the what if game.

Sounds good to me.

In a perfect world it is pretty close as is.

Short tracks:

Revert to previous completed lap, but there should never be a finish under caution.

A wreck in turn 3 of the last lap that is among the leaders in front of the field should result in a yellow, followed by an infinite number of Green/White/Checker restarts until it is done.

Cup:

Similar, except the field is “frozen” at the moment the yellow is dropped.

And therein lies the problem. It is only a percentage of the time they drop the yellow at the “right” time. And also only a percentage of the time that they correctly sort out the restart or finishing order following the yellow after that.

Happily they got it right by awarding Sadler the win yesterday, imo.

Oh yeah, let us not forget Rule #2:

[SIZE=“4”]“2: All bets are off if your name starts with ‘Dale’ and ends with ‘Jr’.”[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=zerofor;169425]After two race finishes over the weekend that resulted in race officials having to review video tape to declare a winner (one being Fridays ARCA race the other Saturdays xfinity series race) that begs the question. Should ARCA and NASCAR be like most weekly race tracks and go back to the last completed lap or keep things the way they are now by freezing the field at the point of caution or using scoring loops which essentially creates a moveable finish line and does away with the importance of an actual finish line under the circumstances given in both races this weekend.[/QUOTE]Make that three races at one race track this weekend.

Trifecta. Wonder if there was a betting line on that happening in las Vegas.

Congrats to Bad Brad for his win on Sunday.

He appeared to have the fastest car, he drove well, he deserved it.

Any thoughts as to why the Penske cars are stronger than the Roush cars, even though both have Roush-Yates motors?

One would think that Jack would be up on current aero & handling practices.

my own thoughts on that is I don’t think Jack Roush has the dollars in the game that he once had and I think that may at least be partially due to the driver lineup. No Mark Martin anymore or Edwards, Kenseth,Burton etc. Biffle is a proven winner but not in lackluster cars.