Speed World to Reopen...?

Er…no, but it has been a while since we have had a Bithlo thread, so…

Citrus County and um, Charlotte County Speedway, aka 3 Palms, are due to re-open. Why not Bithlo?

First, I would suggest that the other tracks are not re-opening because “we” all held hands and sang kumbaya. Nor is it because the racers are willing to race for free or pay outrageous gate fees.

So why not Bithlo? Here is how I see it.

CCS & 3P are opening because of Sugardaddys. Why is there not a similar benefactor for Speedworld?

Possibly because there just isn’t a third investor/philanthropist/racing-nut-with-money. But also possibly because the costs are higher to throw a show–or a season, at Bithlo.

Why? I believe the other two are essentially owned by a larger longtime (airport) entities, probably outright (that is, with little to no monthly costs to the property owners), and the rents are fairly reasonable, leaving the promoters time and money to focus on other necessary things, like track upgrades and funds to run the show (probably at a loss, initially).

But Bithlo…? My understanding is that the owner is drag focused and there is a mortgage–possibly a steep mortgage–on the property.

Further, a guess, but I am guessing a serious guess, is that it is expensive to rent the circle track from the drag track owner. Naturally it would seem to be “worth it” to the owner, especially if his own monthly “land cost” is expensive, but clearly not to investors.

To The Bithlo Complex Ownership Team:

A question: How much is the circle track currently earning/offsetting your other considerable costs?

Why not figure out about what the other tracks are paying for their lease (Showtime excepted), and then let it be known that Speedworld is available for about the same amount?

Alternatively, and probably with the best chance of financial success for everyone (yourself included), you could get a small–and I mean small–percentage of the gates until the attendance picked up, at which time a regular lease would come into play. Try to look at it from the circle track lessee’s viewpoint–they have to be able to run a show and make a little money themselves after all expenses are paid.

It will probably be a Friday night show, as there are just not enough Orlando-area cars to support both tracks on Saturday night, and without big purses they will not pull over from the west coast. It has to be inexpensive to run to work, particularly in the beginning. And there needs to be a beginning…

A suggestion: Make it a part of the lease agreement that “and dragstrip” is incorporated into any and all websites, public correspondence, radio ads, etc.

Now, instead of a track getting further and further away from being viable–itself a poor reflection of general health of the complex, the circle track is again rolling, making you a little money, and maybe get a little free dragstrip advertising.

Where is the downside? Literally, I do not see what you have to lose–only gain, like a money $nowball rolling downhill.

Thank you for your consideration. Go Speedworld!

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;169743]Er…no, but it has been a while since we have had a Bithlo thread, so…

Citrus County and um, Charlotte County Speedway, aka 3 Palms, are due to re-open. Why not Bithlo?

First, I would suggest that the other tracks are not re-opening because “we” all held hands and sang kumbaya. Nor is it because the racers are willing to race for free or pay outrageous gate fees.

So why not Bithlo? Here is how I see it.

CCS & 3P are opening because of Sugardaddys. Why is there not a similar benefactor for Speedworld?

Possibly because there just isn’t a third investor/philanthropist/racing-nut-with-money. But also possibly because the costs are higher to throw a show–or a season, at Bithlo.

Why? I believe the other two are essentially owned by a larger longtime (airport) entities, probably outright (that is, with little to no monthly costs to the property owners), and the rents are fairly reasonable, leaving the promoters time and money to focus on other necessary things, like track upgrades and funds to run the show (probably at a loss, initially).

But Bithlo…? My understanding is that the owner is drag focused and there is a mortgage–possibly a steep mortgage–on the property.

Further, a guess, but I am guessing a serious guess, is that it is expensive to rent the circle track from the drag track owner. Naturally it would seem to be “worth it” to the owner, especially if his own monthly “land cost” is expensive, but clearly not to investors.

To The Bithlo Complex Ownership Team:

A question: How much is the circle track currently earning/offsetting your other considerable costs?

Why not figure out about what the other tracks are paying for their lease (Showtime excepted), and then let it be known that Speedworld is available for about the same amount?

Alternatively, and probably with the best chance of financial success for everyone (yourself included), you could get a small–and I mean small–percentage of the gates until the attendance picked up, at which time a regular lease would come into play. Try to look at it from the circle track lessee’s viewpoint–they have to be able to run a show and make a little money themselves after all expenses are paid.

It will probably be a Friday night show, as there are just not enough Orlando-area cars to support both tracks on Saturday night, and without big purses they will not pull over from the west coast. It has to be inexpensive to run to work, particularly in the beginning. And there needs to be a beginning…

A suggestion: Make it a part of the lease agreement that “and dragstrip” is incorporated into any and all websites, public correspondence, radio ads, etc.

Now, instead of a track getting further and further away from being viable–itself a poor reflection of general health of the complex, the circle track is again rolling, making you a little money, and maybe get a little free dragstrip advertising.

Where is the downside? Literally, I do not see what you have to lose–only gain, like a money $nowball rolling downhill.

Thank you for your consideration. Go Speedworld![/QUOTE]
Did you have help with that…I sounds like a winner to me. How much are you willing to invest?:ohmy:

A burger and a coke, $10.

Pit gate admission, $25.

The thought that went into the idea and note that may benefit the Speedworld owner, the racers, and the Orlando racing community…Priceless!

:aktion033:[QUOTE=OldSchool+;169747]A burger and a coke, $10.

Pit gate admission, $25.

The thought that went into the idea and note that may benefit the Speedworld owner, the racers, and the Orlando racing community…Priceless![/QUOTE]

new idea

I had a new idea that would blow there minds but they never would call back.
Its still the wildest show on wheels…

don62

Hey Don,
Put together the world’s first electric car demo derby. Imagine the press it would get! Maybe it would even draw some dumb-ass protestors.

So called local speedway/racetracks fans are always saying how it sure be done. Yet as in another thread someone drove pass three racetracks, one would have to be called their home track, to visit one a long distance drive and then complain about the car count and racing. Why does every small (and big chain) business close? Maybe it is because the locals say how nice it is to have it in the area but take their business somewhere else.

If Bithlo ran a decent show (and that is their–not my–responsibility, btw), I would be there most Friday nights.

But if I occasionally drive past Auburndale (or etc) to get to Showtime, or if Bobby D drives in the reverse direction to NSS, that is, our prerogative as consumers.

All of that is a sidebar though. Step one is getting a Promoter to, y’know, have races. Actually that is step two.

Getting the facility rental at a pricepoint that a Promoter can live with and turn a profit is step one.

Now, perhaps it is, I do not know. If that is in fact the case, but we simply do not have a capable (including financially capable) promoter at this point, kudos to the Speedworld Ownership Team.

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;169743]

Thank you for your consideration. Go Speedworld![/QUOTE]

They had FREE grandstand admission at 1 event last year and nobody showed up,That may answer your question :light:

It was a suggestion more than a question…

But to your line of reasoning, I believe:

>For some reason, Orlando has never been as circle track crazy as other areas.

>Speedworld’s reputation for hosting a “good” show declined over the years with the fans that are here.

BUT, it nonetheless is a nice facility that is conducive to great racing. AND there are a lot of potential fans within a reasonable driving distance, and there are some existing cars that are local.

What is needed is money to pay the purses and for the advertising until the crowds–and the number of racers–grow. And if the rent is less and perhaps tied to attendance, there will be more available Promoter funds to, y’know, dispose of until things start to head in the right direction, and the place becomes a profit center.

Yes you are right, but inorder to have fans in the stands, you must have cars in the pits and TELL SOMEONE THAT THEY ARE RACING:anim_pound::musik010::anim_pound:

It’s funny the other tracks that were closed came back. showtime ,Punta Gorda and now citrus getting a full make over . Osw is closed just because nobody wants to make it work . not because they wanted to put a road though like show time or like punts gorda when it was striped remember these tracks had to be rebuilt fence stands etc… Osw sits there would not take near the effort or money like the other tracks took to get going . Don what does it take to open Osw back up money wise what needs to be done if someone was giving a chance ?

If you cancel a show on Friday because the track is weeping water from a downpour on Tuesday,that is a failed business model that really pisses of fans/racers and makes them not want to return…Like any business start up it will take deep pockets and a lot of risk,No capital with good intentions has proven over and over not to work…

“No capital with good intentions has proven over and over not to work.”–Kendo

Absolutely correct.

But on the other hand, funny thing, those with capital have to see a path to making more capital before they invest, or they keep their capital in their pocket.

Hence, this thread…

Yea the track weeping is a big problem that needs fixed .if that was done they need to stop the crasharama it destroys the track .

Thank you, sparked another thought.

In lieu of rent payments, an agreement could be set up initially involving track repairs.

Month 1-fix weepers

Month 2-fix lighting, and so on

Everyone wins.

Bithlo Ownership–Their facility is being upgraded–for free. If the tenant fails, the upgrades remain for the next tenant.

The Promoter–Those upgrades need to be made before the first race anyway. If you can make them and skip rent payments until race day, so much the better!

I cant answer for everyone but my reasoning (and a few others) for not going:

1- it was just that…1 event, that was not advertised, and clearly was not a comeback attempt.

2- not enough of a show (not taking away from any class) but you have to put on a show for anyone to be interested in a 1 randomly timed event.

Don’t let time twist the facts, When Jimbo was gm at Orlando they held a SLM race that did well (my understanding was pretty much the only time the oval racing turned a profit since ozzy took it over). The clean cut crew came in and took a stab at it, great people… diehards for sure, I just don’t think the pockets were deep enough to really get it off the ground. Since then no effort has been made.

I’m sorry, but I would have to be bored to death to come support a 1 hit wonder with no headline show.

You wouldn’t go to a fair that only has bumper cars, and a shit talking clown that will only be in town 1 day would you?

You might if you were promised that the support could turn it into a bigger fair next time though.

Now after supporting the fair in hopes of them making good… this year its just the bumper cars, the shit talking clown is gone.

The reasoning? “they didn’t get the support”

That’s where osw sits, too many promises with no results and never any real attempt.

Quote of the Month!

That is the goal here. To get the pieces in place for a “real” promoter to be able to come in and do well.

And thank you for the quote of the month, which seems incredibly appropriate during this particular presidential election cycle:

“You wouldn’t go to a fair that only has bumper cars, and a shit talking clown that will only be in town 1 day would you?”

A rhetorical question: Has anybody seen the shine-ola lately…?