New NSS Modified Motor Rules for 2017...?

Let us assume that you are correct.

But it is neither here nor there now.

On the other hand, NSS still has time to consider all of their options regarding 2017 modified rules.

Hence this thread…

The big problem with any class is who has the most money wins fact . if you had a crate class that ran only sealed motors . And only one engine builder rebuilding them you would have great racing class .and I guarantee you would not have the same car winning week after week . The tracks have tried everything else I don’t know why They don’t try a class like this make everybody run the same distributor same carburetor same carb spacer same clutch etc. every must run same brand part and part number . Yea sure it cost to get started the end result would be worth it and pay off . Rules would be easy.

My opinion is to just go with a crate engine. A GM604 has 2.00/1:55 valves and only makes around 400 hp.

Another modified class crate engine option could be the CT525 engine. It’s an LS engine that is very well proven.

Nss modified Mot?r rules 2017

I agree for the most part with all of you but that’s why my car is sitting in the shop because I don’t have big money to build a big Mot?r I’m not going to run in the back with my home built emod motor they should have left it alone

One thing to add - Crate engines run on pump gas. The fuel bill alone will save the racer some money !

The deal with a field exclusively filled with crate engines is that they could drone around in a pack unable to really pass each other–a la’ Cup.

The second thing is that part of the modified “thing” is creativity and, you know, a “modified” something. I would suggest that at the center of that philosophy is the engine.

Again, an analogy to Cup: Hemis and Ford Cammers and 427cubes are illegal, but they are also not running sealed crate motors. There is still things each team can do to make it their own.

Bruce–Given the parameters: Faster than a 2bbl emod (that you have), but cheaper than current “big motors”–what would you suggest, and what would you actually pony up the cash to build to get back to the track?

the perfect motor would be the LLM Spec motor. Good power for reasonable price

ok my 2 cents I own the 8 mod which was a Emod we ran the factory sealed 602 crate motor stock distributor it came with. and oil pan. ran a canton 1 inch carb spacer pump gas 2.85 gal , old Muncie transmission 4 speed not 2 speed. car won 50 lapper at osw and new Smyrna. because we had a good setup and great driver chad. it was the best class fun wise and money wise that I have spent money on. Rickey Brooks was the tech man on my car when chad won the 50 lapper at new Smyrna and you know Rickey is good he don’t miss a thing . funny thing was most everybody change to msd distributor change oil pan said the spacer we were running wasn’t good . my crate at the time was the most factory stock running . I still have the mod with a new big motor I could have bought 6 crate engine what it cost to build that one .

Nss modified Mot?r rules 2017

Old school I just sent u a private message

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;169896]The deal with a field exclusively filled with crate engines is that they could drone around in a pack unable to really pass each other–a la’ Cup.

The second thing is that part of the modified “thing” is creativity and, you know, a “modified” something. I would suggest that at the center of that philosophy is the engine.
[/QUOTE]

I don’t believe you will see any NASCAR super speedway pack racing with crate engines at local short tracks. There’s too much difference in skill levels in chassis set-up and driver talent.

The pro-lates have very comparable engines and they are able to pass. I do like the spec engines, but they are more expensive then the CT525. I’m all for the driver and set-up being the key component to competition.

Just to clarify: e mod motor rules were the Super Stock motor rules. Open chamber heads, stamped rockers, 1" spacer and a 4412 carb. The open mod and e mod had the same chassis and body rules. From a distance you could not tell the difference. The main difference was the e mod only had to weigh 2500 pounds. 600 plus pounds less than Sportsman and, I think, 700 less than a Super Stock. Lighter is faster. On a shorter track like citrus, an e mod and open mod are more of an even match. It becomes a matter of whose car handles better on a 1/3 mile track. Desoto would be a little different though. It’s a full 3/8 mile track. JMHO here.
-JIM-