Tech Men

I gotta nit-pick a little…

“running 3 qualifying laps and the soft springs give out and don’t hold the car up”

Unless the springs are permanently deformed and must be thrown away, there is no way this statement can be correct. Maybe the car settles? I will wager that the elastic limit of the springs is not exceeded, and that they are not ruined after 3 laps.

[QUOTE=Boneman;170133]I gotta nit-pick a little…

“running 3 qualifying laps and the soft springs give out and don’t hold the car up”

Unless the springs are permanently deformed and must be thrown away, there is no way this statement can be correct. Maybe the car settles? I will wager that the elastic limit of the springs is not exceeded, and that they are not ruined after 3 laps.[/QUOTE]

Come on Boney, post my whole sentence, not just a piece of it…

I never said that 3 laps and the springs give out, but when you have soft springs, run 5 PARADE LAPS and 3 QUALIFYING LAPS then try to check ride heights with the SWAY BAR in the car it probably not make it. Soft springs will start to sag when they get hot, it happens.

The object is to get the nose and chassis as close to the track without bottoming out.

But, here is the point, YOHO said there was no more ride height rules!

It sure is funny that years ago we had to make height rules after the race. I do not think the springs are any different now. If the springs and shocks give up after 8 or 10 laps, you have more problems than with them. Should still have to check them after the race, too many ways to make it legal before the race, we called it cheating.

I like the fwd thinking about a hypothethical #fundmytech, not sure about it, but it is interesting. Like an independent umpire deal I guess. Great concept but it sounds like it takes money and that leaves me to vote no right away

:slight_smile:

I agree that a promoter and his tech guy should be on the same page.

That said, it seems kind of self-explanatory that a racecar should hold itself up off the ground…otherwise…

“Dig my '64 Chebby Impala late model, mang” :cool008:

Did they only check one car? JS

They

Checked the top 5 in qualifying…07 fast time. For as long as I can remember Denny Neighbors would let the driver pull up on the car. The Tech man now will not. I have had this argument with him.

[QUOTE=Lurkin;170145]I like the fwd thinking about a hypothethical #fundmytech, not sure about it, but it is interesting. Like an independent umpire deal I guess. Great concept but it sounds like it takes money and that leaves me to vote no right away

:-)[/QUOTE]

5 bucks…

the car does not go around the track with someone pulling up on it.

height

every one wants it their way . go by the rule book and you have no problem. any changes for you should be posted and signed in your book by tech… keep book with race car. now no complaints

I think the ride height rule should be thrown out for late models, modifieds, sportsmans and trucks. By the time you load the sway bar and the rebound in the shocks start working it’s not like the car is at 4" on the track anyways. They’ve done away with ride height rules in the Latemodels everywhere else in the country, why not here.

no rules race

so how many cars would show up for a no rules race…2 or 3 in the state.
Rules are the biggest reason for good and poor car counts. It not the purse.
Only one winner and he is the one that will show for the no rules race. How about all the rest?
what a racer wants is a fair shake. Sure some will scream about tough teq but the few don’t speak for the many.
Many of the racers don’t like me because they didn’t make it in the the teq barn or got the black flag . Having to go to the rear of the field was in the rules but they cried more on that one the most.
Rules are the most important car getting and keeping thing a track can do.
DONT LET THE FEW INFLUNCE THE MANY
There never were bad rules if every one went buy them…

don62

Gene

Lol …Agreed. Yet it is how it was…

Don

[QUOTE=Don Nerone;170311]so how many cars would show up for a no rules race…2 or 3 in the state.
Rules are the biggest reason for good and poor car counts. It not the purse.
Only one winner and he is the one that will show for the no rules race. How about all the rest?
what a racer wants is a fair shake. Sure some will scream about tough teq but the few don’t speak for the many.
Many of the racers don’t like me because they didn’t make it in the the teq barn or got the black flag . Having to go to the rear of the field was in the rules but they cried more on that one the most.
Rules are the most important car getting and keeping thing a track can do.
DONT LET THE FEW INFLUNCE THE MANY
There never were bad rules if every one went buy them…

don62[/QUOTE]

Agreed mostly…But lets answer the original question of this post. Would racers or car owners pay a 5 dollar cost to insure the tech man was being paid properly and having the right tools and motivating him or her to get their hands dirty ? What did you pay your tech man on Saturday night Don ? Im just curious…Like any business you will pay for quality ?

Doug,
I know for sure that 20 years ago the tech man’s pay was $100 & 2 passes per night. I’m sure it’s not much more today. It’s a thankless job like any main officiating jobs in all sports. These people definitely do it for the love of it and not the money. Look at it as per hour pay. You show up at 11:00 or noon on a race day and not get out of there till midnight 1:00 A.M. Your talking about a 12-14 hour day it averages to $7.25 per hour. I did an officiating job back then, I would never do it again. And oh by the way pretty much every race night you have at least 1 or more people that want to kick your a$$ because you had to disqualify them.

Is local racing, a hobby for fun
What are you looking for a high paid tech that takes your car apart every week.

Then everyone complains about paying the engine guy, tranny guy, chassis guy and whoever else they need to put it all back together. They don’t have that money, they quit or race less due to the tech guy,

Cut the whining and go race.

it takes more than a cheated motor to win. You need to set up the car, you need to drive it

Just race and have fun

OMG how everyone wants to run the track/tech and payout the way they think it should be

There are claimer and protest rules if you really think everyone is cheating

pay

Some of them did it to be part of the sport and to learn. The average was $100 a night and the hifg was $500 a night with room and board.
There are a lot of people who can check a engine but very few that have a clue what the job is about.
In 1990 we held a school that was free to get all the teq guys on the same page. No one showed up… Get it yet. Most of them don’t want to do the job just stroke there own ego.
The job is o get all the cars right not to try to find them wrong. That is a lot of work but in the end you will build a lasting program…

don62

Pun

[QUOTE=Pun33;170320]Is local racing, a hobby for fun
What are you looking for a high paid tech that takes your car apart every week.

Then everyone complains about paying the engine guy, tranny guy, chassis guy and whoever else they need to put it all back together. They don’t have that money, they quit or race less due to the tech guy,

Cut the whining and go race.

it takes more than a cheated motor to win. You need to set up the car, you need to drive it

Just race and have fun

OMG how everyone wants to run the track/tech and payout the way they think it should be

There are claimer and protest rules if you really think everyone is cheating[/QUOTE]

Your just wrong…

I was just thinking

About this thread. And it seems to me that when most people think about tech they think about engines. In the Mod class there are few engine rules. Its 7lbs per cubic inch and no aluminum blocks. 50 lbs for aluminum heads and thats about it. This will be my last post on this subject but heres a few thinkgs in the mod class that can have a significant advantage.

1. Ride heights
  2. Crank height
  3. Engine off set
  4. Rear end to motor measurement 78"
  5. Cambered rear axle tubes
  6. Adjustable pan hard bars…from the cock pit
  7. Traction Control or special ignition boxes that can be set with a lap top.with slew rates and launch control
  8. Track width
  9. Aluminum brake calipers with more than one piston

Theres much more but im done thinking. I know that it doesnt matter whats said on here but hey who knows. Cars almost done.

Post of The Week

“You’re just wrong…”–DM

Congratulations on getting your mod back together!