Owners and Promoters--Want to Kill Your Show? Traction Control!

Fair enough, Devin.

You are a smooth, fast, and consistent driver.

That said, what would you suggest to effectively deal with “the problem”?

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;171064]Fair enough, Devin.

You are a smooth, fast, and consistent driver.

That said, what would you suggest to effectively deal with “the problem”?[/QUOTE]

If the problem really is there…which I have heard it is, then I think it won’t be found because it’s going to take deep pockets to search for it. In some cases (modifieds) they have check MSD boxes, Quick change covers, etc.,

In SLM’s it’s a different level…I think that cars are going to have to start getting cut apart, and that isn’t going to happen…

traction control

Dutily= good driver, works on his own car, understands the chassis, can adjust on chassis to make the car do what he wants. Has close to unlimited funds= very hard to beat. Sorry, but I think the guy deserves a lot of credit. You may have to cut off his right foot to beat him right now at adale and Desoto. Just my opinion… Vince P

so…

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;171062]“Tech sucks in central Florida…”--OWM53

Well, it is a thankless job. Racers by nature are rebels and do not like to have their stuff picked apart, much less DQd.

And the tech guys cannot possibly like being looked at as “bad guys”.

So it is not exactly a birthday party regardless.

BUT, currently it would seem to be possible to be DQd for a weight (or etc) infraction, while the guy that inherits the win has undetected traction control.

Still, beyond all of that is the issue of what it does to the racing, which is dumbs it down and makes it less interesting.[/QUOTE]

That is the reason that I created a thread some time back…Pay a good tech man a good wage for his time. Pay him dam good for giving up Saturdays and Sundays. Pay him enough to make his wages thanks enough for keeping a sport honest. A umpire has a thankless job and he sometimes performs in front of millions of people…But he is needed ? Is he part of the sport ? We truly don’t need a guy to read a scale and roll a wheel under your car every single dam race. Most tech men are watching the same race as we are. They know who’s dominating every time. If he truly looks and doesn’t find anything than he should be the first to pat the racer on the back and stand tall for being the person keeping him honest. Maybe I am wrong. Maybe we should all just run whatever we want…hell who’s gonna catch ya ? There are people who push the envelope and their are people who tear it open.

Doug,

Motivation aside, there have been comments from Devin and others to the effect of “they probably can’t find it if they wanted to”.

Given those thoughts, what rules and/or tech changes do you see as being effective to mitigate the problem?

And that very well could be.Once again I’m not back in the pit’s anymore and can’t say anything for sure because I have no direct knowledge of it. You just see something like that and it makes you scratch your head and say huh.

Old school

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;171091]Doug,

Motivation aside, there have been comments from Devin and others to the effect of “they probably can’t find it if they wanted to”.

Given those thoughts, what rules and/or tech changes do you see as being effective to mitigate the problem?[/QUOTE]

I do not know all the ways traction control is used. I have heard that brakes are used, I don’t know what Devin mentioned about the rear end. But commonly it is retarding the timing so not to slip tires. You see the adds in the late model books all the time…Who is it Davis traction Control I think. I think the only wat to police it is to swap out boxes. Send them out. If they are illegal than the team lost thousands of dollars and make it public. And I mean public. Hell maybe Bob Bolles can do an article on that one in Circle Track since supposedly his cars box was taken ?

Maybe. There have been articles in Circle Track in the past that make me wonder how objective they are.

Nobody likes a “rat” and nobody likes to be a rat (at least I certainly don’t).

But if the non TC guys can get as much figured as they can, sharing that information, either publicly or privately with tech, might be something to consider.

On some tc devices it is as small as a cigarette lighter. The tech guy needs to be at the car before anyone else at the end of the race! and make sure it doesn’t get handed off to crew member which I have seen before!

traction control

Maybe a race track should invest in one, and the tech man should test it in a car or 2. I’m sure there would be some people out there willing to test. Record some data. I don’t believe it is gonna take a mid pack car and make them a front runner.

Jason,

My understanding is that there are many devices.

And my further understanding is that TC will make one front runner dominant.

So they all will have to buy them to stay competitive, and the technology and cost will escalate indefinitely, along with, in the end, a lousier show.

No upside here that I can see.

Oldschool you say nobody likes a rat . Well nobody likes a cheater all they do is destroy racing they run cars off and cause low car counts . that’s why when they are caught there should be a harsh penalties suspensions heavy fines and that would put an end to it . And what ever part found cheated destroyed right there and then with a sledgehammer no matter what it is.

Damm

Short track…Take a breath. How do you really feel ? Just kidding. You are right. And old school You know exactly what I mean. There is no rat if it is true and every racer should know. The problem is who ? What tech man will take the time ? Do the research ? impound things ?

Davis user manual

I was wondering if this unit worked good or not? It is supposed to retard timing when tires slip? Looks small enough to hide in one of your body cavities… May need a doctor in the tech shed to find this one… lol

Just my 2 cents Vince P

Heck, I think they may have a booth at the SEMA show!

http://www.moretraction.com/Products_Circle.htm

“It is the Purchaser and/or end user’s responsibility to inspect and verify the dimensions, specifications, and performance of the Products as being appropriate for the use to which the user will put them prior to any actual installation and/or use.”-
-Davis Technologies [underline added]

Get 'em while they’re hot (!).

Heck, I always thought the “pro guys” turned that stuff off in their Ferraris (and Hyundais).

I got a few of the units they sold in my day and looked a many cars for many years and never found one… On the other hand we fount lotts of cool stuff when we wer looking fore traction control.

Most of the good racers found a better way to get the same outcome.
Every one that looses all the time blame the guys that win all the time they got something I don’t…Yep homework…
One of the best told me that it was 95% car and 5% driver so he could let anyone with a little talent drive and they could win in his car. and a lot of people did.
Rest in peace Jimmy

don62

LoL!

ok I get it… here we go;

SLM with a Sprint Car motor

55/45 2400 minimum
Tire prep OK
Traction Control OK
Fuel Injection OK
Tungsten OK

safety rules, ABC body and some FAT Hoosiers- lets race gentlemen! :ernaehrung004:

Scott, what is up with your restrictive body?

Let them run outlaw bodies with sideboards.

Then all five or six of them will drone around like NE modifieds on a big track, and the spectators will all go bowling after the second week.

After that the track will wonder how they are going to pay the purse, and the car owners will get bored and/or go broke and car count will drop. Soon, very soon, the track will switch to Sportsman cars to get car count and spectator count back up.

And, of course, they will need to guard against tire softeners and traction control.

No tech man that I’ve ever met is going to find most properly installed TC systems without a serious disassembly of the car. Even one installed half assed is going to disappear into the wiring mess many cars have. I mean come on what are you going to do…swap out the ignition box, distributor, tach, and entire wiring harness on every car every week? I do car electronics for a living…Give me a race car, a Davis TC system and an hour. I’d bet ya $500 you can’t find the TC system in the car within 30 minutes even though you already know it’s there somewhere. And 30 minutes is way more than most tech guys spend on any one car. It’s a noble thought, but one that is just not feasible to accomplish.

yep we had 12 ing systems in the teq trailer and did swap them all the time. also took many cars to the ground poor david rogers and never found anything on his car and he won 12 in a row. They needed everything I found on all the other cars to keep up. I found INTAKES, NITROS BOTTEL,WIDE WHEELS, AJUSTIBLE SWAY BARS, THROW LEAD. The list could go on for ever.
The winners found a better way to control traction. Its in the foot. So if you suck you can buy TC and it might make you better but the guys that win with a great setup and a good foot.

Rember when Jason boyd was the kid to beat?

They asked me how to slow hem down. My answer was to cut his foot of.

don’t blame the teq man when you loose blame your self.
The old racers never blamed the guy that beat them. that would mean he was better than you at racing. they went back to work and the ones that did had there day of winning.

Don’t cry Try

don62