Nasse right or wrong in Snowball?

I am not usually a fan of that sort of stuff, but man I think he did the right thing. Had a great race going and just got dumped. Kid should have been more patient and he would have gotten around.

Great race between Eckes and JH Nemechek. Nice finish. Perfect example of not dumping someone but moving them.

I think the better question is why do we have to keep having this discussion after every big race Nasse runs? He had the fastest car at the Winchester 400, Governors Cup and Snowball Derby, but got into incidents at the end of all three. Of course… he insisted none were his fault.

Drama seems to follow this kid, wherever he races.

Fast, yes. But smart? No.

[QUOTE=Racefan99;172805]I think the better question is why do we have to keep having this discussion after every big race Nasse runs? He had the fastest car at the Winchester 400, Governors Cup and Snowball Derby, but got into incidents at the end of all three. Of course… he insisted none were his fault.

Drama seems to follow this kid, wherever he races.

Fast, yes. But smart? No.[/QUOTE]

Great questions, how does he always manage to drive clean from the rear of the field to the front and then get taken out at the end of the race in the top 3? When he’s running at the front he should be racing against better/cleaner drivers.

He did have some fault at the Governor’s cup, Nasse was leaning on Wallace while Wallace was trying to pass because Nasse didn’t want to give up P2. From the stands it looked more like a racing incident to me, but NSS officials put Wallace to the back

I can understand the question and typically would feel the same, but in this case - I dont feel like he did anything wrong to get dumped. The first nudge - fair enough, but then the kid lost it and wiped him out. Nasse, in spite of prior races and actions, ran clean and patient all damn day.

What was more hilarious was that they kept Byron in the racecar and then shoved him into the SUV with helmet on. PU%%Y in my book - might have understood if it was a 14 year old or young kid, but he is 19. You are going to go start something and then not man enough to own up to it?

Byron isnt a no talent hack or anything which is why maybe i expected more from him.

Oh good, another bratty rich kid fight. Regardless of actual fault there’s a clear reason why so many of the other rich kids he races against get better opportunities than he does. His twitter looks like a 2 year old who just got their lollipop stolen.

lol, true enough

I saw the video and my opinion is that Nasse is an idiot.

Can somebody post a link of the initial incident?

Thank you in advance.

Auto Week article:

[B][I][SIZE=“5”]Auto Week article:

Close competition, drama decide Snowball Derby Super Late Model race
The 300-lap event contained several NASCAR top prospects

December 7, 2016

Facebook
Tweet
Pinterest
Email

It often resembled a spectacle rather than a race, but the Snowball Derby provided a series of memorable moments on Tuesday night at Five Flags Speedway in Pensacola, Florida.

Following two days of rain and then a race full of controversy, Christian Eckes edged out John Hunter Nemechek in a 15-lap duel that will go down among the best in event history. The teenage duo swapped the lead four times over the final two laps, but Eckes ultimately prevailed at the line by a record 0.017 second.

“It was really unreal,” Eckes said. “I never even dreamed of coming here to win this race.”

Even more remarkable was that the final lap was the only one the 16-year-old led at the line. Eckes started the race in 12th and spent much of it outside the top 10. But attrition dwindled the field down from 36 to about 15 competitive cars by the end of the race.

Even Nemechek had spent a large portion of the race outside of the top five, but both he and Eckes survived to put on an instant classic by the end.

“I got a little bit free coming off the corner, and he had a little bit better drive and was able to get by me,” Nemechek said. "You could not ask for anything better for a show for the fans, that’s for sure. I appreciate everyone coming here on a Tuesday.

“It is disappointing being that close, but we have to smile about it. (Eckes) made the crossover move one corner earlier, and I should have kept him to my outside and we would have been all right. It was a definitely a close finish.”

While the finish was memorable by itself, the events leading up to it may also stand the test of time.

The rainouts forced teams to relieve their hired pit crews of their duty and turned the race from a live pit-stop affair to a controlled one. This meant stopping the field on the backstretch under red-flag conditions during every caution to correctly sort out the running order.

That turned the race into a four-hour, stop-and-go marathon with tempers running high.

On lap 270, Stephen Nasse and pole-sitter William Byron were inside the top five and came together in the conflict of the night. Byron washed up the track in turn 3 and inadvertently dumped Nasse. The short-track veteran was so outraged by what he perceived as overly aggressive racing that he reversed course on the track and rammed his car right into Byron’s quarter panel, knocking both cars out of the race.

Track security had to separate the Nasse and Kyle Busch Motorsport crews from each other. Nasse spent the rest of the evening berating the short-track industry on Twitter.

Meanwhile, Chad Finley had dominated the race but fell out with a motor problem on lap 279. He had led 179 laps and had the car to beat.

This all set up the finish between Eckes and Nemechek.

Eckes collapsed on the front stretch in jubilation while celebrating. The win was also the first for Fury Race Cars, which is operated by Tony Eury Sr., Tony Eury Jr. and Jeff Fultz. The complete race results can be viewed below.

2016 Snowball Derby Results

Christian Eckes
John Hunter Nemechek
Ty Majeski
Donnie Wilson
Chandler Smith
Casey Roderick
Grant Enfinger
Zane Smith
Noah Gragson
Raphael Lessard
Bubba Pollard
Derek Thorn
Connor Okrzesik
Casey Smith
Spencer Davis
Corey LaJoie
Dalton Armstrong
Dalton Sargeant
Derek Scott, Jr.
Chad Finley
Stephen Nasse
William Byron
Daniel Hemric
Kaz Grala
Derek Kraus
Cole Anderson
Augie Grill
Jerry Artuso
Jeff Choquette
Scotty Ellis
Chris Davidson
Christopher Bell
David Rogers
Harrison Burton
Kyle Plott
Brandon McReynolds

Read more: Close competition, drama decide Snowball Derby Super Late Model race
[/SIZE][/I][/B]
:anim_buttkick::dry::anim_pound::blink::ohmy:

[SIZE=“6”]Most Famous words in Racing “Just spell my name right”!!![/SIZE]

Nasse was falling back it look like just hard racing to me . The kid got his nose under him and was Trying to pass . The funny thing was nasse running what seam like a mile across the pits to find him I think by the time he got there he was out of breath probly a good thing he turned around and went back huffing and puffing .

I don’t think a kid in a liberty university hat (yes I realize it’s his sponsor) is ready or interested in fighting period, never mind someone like Nasse who once pulled plug wires out of a guys car and beat him with them on pit road, just saying. Personally I enjoy Nasse’s antics, keeps it interesting at least. To me it looked like Byron tried to bump him, slipped up and by then it was too late he had no choice but to dump him and did, I would be pissed too. I’m not sure I’d plow into the guys car under caution but that’s Nasse, like him or not.

Byron was scared shitless. Granted Nasse running as far as he did - probably would have evened it out some, but Byron wanted no part of that as evidenced by hiding in the SUV afterward.

Agree with MJM - seemed innocent enough till he lost it and had to dump him. Then it was on and you knew it was on before Nasse even hit the wall.

By the time Byron gets to Cup (and he will get there - money and talent will ensure that), there wont be anybody left to whip his ass with Stewart retiring - maybe Harvick.

[QUOTE=bubba;172824]Byron was scared shitless. Granted Nasse running as far as he did - probably would have evened it out some, but Byron wanted no part of that as evidenced by hiding in the SUV afterward.
[/QUOTE]

Byron has nothing to prove fighting a guy like Nasse. Byron was a K&N series champ. He claimed 7 truck series wins this year (most ever by a rookie) and were it not for a blown engine he might have been series champ along with rookie of the year. His team was the owners champion. He’s got a full time Hendrick Xfinity ride and the kid will be a Cup driver within 4 years. He’s got nothing to prove.

Other than not facing up to the mess he made, i guess not. That trait will catch up to him sooner or later - probably in a much more public way when he is in Cup.

The kid is in a no win situation there…yes, he probably drove in a little to far and lost the car and accidentally wrecked Nasse…like the previous guy noted, he has won many races at higher levels than SLM’s and I haven’t heard or seen anything to suggest he wrecks people intentionally , or at all for that matter.
You think he is going to risk a full time Xfinity ride to fight some lunatic SLM driver? Besides the fact that Nasse is twice his size, Byron would lose the fight and possibly a sponsor or his ride.
I have not seen anything where Byron has explained his side or taken any blame, but I haven;t looked real hard either.
I am sure at some point in his NASCAR career, if an incident like this happens he will have to defend himself or fight a competitor, and probably will once he is older or established.