NASCAR & Daytona

There have been so many changes, my head is spinning. Points, segments, body damage, downforce, and on and on. Has anyone seen an entry list for the 500? I wonder if they will even have 40 cars show up. Who has the charters now? They have changed hands like a cards at a poker game. Does the Wood Brothers now have a charter?

Yep.

Years ago I gave up on it all. I just let “Jaws” fill me in (I assume he will still be in the booth), and even then I don’t really try to understand it, as Darrell will continue to discuss it moment by moment (by moment).

Re: Woods bros-- “NASCAR premier series driver Ryan Blaney and the Wood Brothers Racing team will be guaranteed a spot in all 36 races in 2017 now that the organization has obtained a Charter through a lease agreement with Go FAS Racing.”–nascar.com

As someone that occasionally straightens out (well mostly) a bent race car, am torn on new the fix-it-in-5-minutes-or-park-it rule.

I suppose from NASCAR’s position, it really doesn’t matter which guy wins, or what is “fair”, as long as there is a nice shiny show every week.

And really, I would suggest more than ever, that weekly points are kind of a sidebar. One needs to win repeatedly and have simple good fortune to win the Championship. And if weekly points are now only nominally important, why have the junk on the track? Or from a team’s perspective, why fix the junk?

As with most things NASCAR, I watch it for the occasional wheel to wheel actual racing, for amusement purposes, and as nap-motivation.

I don’t see that changing at this point…

I will say once for this year and shut up. I truly believe that if NASCAR adopted the tried and true Satur
day night format of time trials heats consolation race and a reasonably short feature their product would be much more attractive to the fans.

I would suggest they are kind of heading in that direction.

Keep in mind that perhaps half of the NASCAR fans think that the word “heat” means something to turn on in the Winter time.

As i understand it, the Daytona 500 is going to be run in segments, apparently their way of trying to bring in the Saturday night short track fan. And the repair in 5 minutes rule will only be in place until it adversely affects Dale Jr or Jimmy Johnson.

Hopefully Dale will not need repairs, and, of course, Jimmie does not crash.

NASCAR Announces 2017 Charter teams

NASCAR revealed in February 2016 a landmark new ownership structure, awarding 36 Charters that guarantee entry into every points event in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series. Since then, some leasing and buying of Charters has occurred. The table below shows the Charters (which were awarded following the 2015 season) for 2017. Teams listed alphabetically.

Notes:
(A) Premium Motorsports sold this Charter to Furniture Row Racing for its second team, the #77. In 2016, the Charter was leased by the #46 team of HScott Motorsports.
(B) Richard Petty Motorsports is leasing the #44 Charter to the #32 team of Go Fas Racing in 2017.
(C) Roush Fenway Racing will lease the #16 Charter to JTG Daugherty Racing’s newly formed second team (#37) in 2017.
(D) Near the end of the 2016 season, Tommy Baldwin Racing sold its Charter to Leavine Family Racing.
(E) HScott Motorsports’ #15 Charter was sold to Premium Motorsports, which will run the #15, not the #98.
(F) Go Fas Racing is leasing the #32 Charter to the #21 team of Wood Brothers Racing.
(G) Circle Sport and The Motorsports Group merged operations to field the #33 team with the Charter Circle Sport had.
In 2016, Circle Sport partnered with Leavine Family Racing to field the #95 for the season.
(H) TriStar Motorsports has leased a Charter from Front Row Motorsports, who bought the #83 BK Racing Charter, for the new #72 team.

2016 Car #; 2017 Car #; Organization with charter for 2017 (36 teams listed)

23 23 BK Racing
1 1 Chip Ganassi Racing
42 42 Chip Ganassi Racing
95 33 Circle Sport w/The Motorsports Group (G)
34 34 Front Row Motorsports
38 38 Front Row Motorsports
46 77 Furniture Row Racing (A)
78 78 Furniture Row Racing
13 13 Germain Racing
44 32 Go Fas Racing (B)
5 5 Hendrick Motorsports
24 24 Hendrick Motorsports
48 48 Hendrick Motorsports
88 88 Hendrick Motorsports
11 11 Joe Gibbs Racing
18 18 Joe Gibbs Racing
19 19 Joe Gibbs Racing
20 20 Joe Gibbs Racing
16 37 JTG Daugherty Racing (C)
47 47 JTG Daugherty Racing
7 95 Leavine Family Racing (D)
15 15 Premium Motorsports (E)
3 3 Richard Childress Racing
27 27 Richard Childress Racing
31 31 Richard Childress Racing
43 43 Richard Petty Motorsports
6 6 Roush Fenway Racing
17 17 Roush Fenway Racing
4 4 Stewart-Haas Racing
10 10 Stewart-Haas Racing
14 14 Stewart-Haas Racing
41 41 Stewart-Haas Racing
2 2 Team Penske
22 22 Team Penske
83 72 TriStar Motorsport (H)
32 21 Wood Brothers Racing (F)

Thanks for the replies. Thanks for the info, Dave. I wonder how many open teams will show up at Daytona?

I haven’t kept up with all of this. What happens to a car that showes up without a “charter”?

As far as I know

That remains the same.They would have to qualify in on speed or in the case of Daytona race their way in through the Thursday qualifying races.

My understanding is they will take the highest finishing non-chartered team from each qualifying race. They will take 2 more based on fastest speeds in qualifying by non-charted teams who did not get in thru qualifying races.

charted team?? what are we going offshore fishing:)

when nascar drops the car weight near the 2600 2700 or late models

you have my interest and please make the tires narrower, and remove the

restrictor plate, until then they are rolling billboards, 3400 lbs really,

thats what they call state of the art, 700lbs more weight

glad we have late model racing!