New Smryna 2/11/17 fill-in-the-blank Recap

Ryan how many cars you built and raced ? has nothing to do with the name of a class . I guess you don’t understand what I am talking about . let me try to explain it you try to keep up . classes like super stock have rules say like weight limit that everybody has to follow 3,200 pounds min per car with driver. and along with other rules to keep everybody equal. you see where I am going ? and also street stocks are the same at most tracks. and your the only track running super stocks and are not the same as street stock . all the other tracks in fl run street stocks. the bomber /run what ever you want class with no weight limit cars are mixed matched you can not have a class with cars running different engines, different tires, weighing different and call that good racing . and boneman so you say short track racing isn’t built around v8s front wheel drive may be the future . if any of these want to move up it would be a hell of change going from front wheel drive 4cyl to a to a rear wheel drive anything . the old monte carlo where the best place to start if you planed on moveing up . most of the v8 s you could add to them and move the whole car up in class not with a front wheel drive car your not .

That’s funny; when was the last time you saw a bomber get converted to a super stock or sportsman?

Saturns, Cavaliers, Probes, Accords, etc. are better than the old Montes. Why? In the right hands, the smaller cars are much faster, and you can still find them. I could buy 10 of those before I found a single V8.

shorttrackcar1 I understand what you are saying as far as the mix of cars go, but the funny thing is the guys racing the bigger cars were complaining that there was no one to race against and the track opened up the rules and now more cars come out. So like the old saying goes you cant make everyone happy. In my opinion the bombers are a ton of fun to watch and they put on a great show Saturday. Just a few years ago they were called strictly stocks and I have no clue why they changed it but who cares what they are called. If they bring the cars and put on a good show I’ll enjoy it no matter what kind of cars are racing.

Ryan you only just started announcing the last year I’ve been around Racing for over 30 some years and I’m gonna tell you something the guys with the big cars never complain they had nobody to race with . I actually know most of the guys who no longer race anymore because of the little cars. the guys with the big cars were complaining because they started letting the front wheel drive little cars run which are a lot lighter in the most the big cars couldn’t run with them because the weight disadvantage so you are incorrect sir. It’s like I said before Ryan let’s put a weight limit on on the class all cars has to weigh the same weight then we’ll see what happens . your little cars would leave and not come back because then they would be complaining. OK boneman I’ll play your game I can’t wait to see when somebody converts a probe or a Honda or Saturn or into it to a super stock can’t wait . And if you can’t find any older cars with V-8’s boneMan I see them every day you’re not looking hard enough or maybe you’re too tied up with your sprint car career.

Correct I just started announcing a year ago but I’m just repeating what I heard in the pits. And the more cars on the track the better in my opinion. I think the big cars are awesome but they just dont build cars like they used to and the big cars are becoming more and more scarce. I will agree if there was a way to tighten up the field I’m all for it but I have no control over the rules. I just enjoy the racing.

Another good example Ryan Camaros there still plenty old Camaros out there see them all the time up for sale . but New Smyrna will not allow them to run but they’ll let every other make and model car run out there now . why is that? They’re allowed to run Camaros at all the other tracks . Come on boneman let’s hear what you got to say on this too.

It worked for Gov. Cup and the Super Stock race was great. I wish they would open the rules up in that division too. Hopefully we see some change there sometime soon.

It is perfectly normal for racing equipment to evolve, and that is why we don’t race Offenhauser midgets anymore, or flathead Fords, '56 Chevys, etc… NSS Super Stocks is a class that must evolve, or it will perish, (and no one wants that).

“Big Montes” are 40+ years old, and “metric cars” are 25-30 years old. I agree with Ryan, open that class to more modern body styles like Camaros, both old and new, Mustangs old and new, and whatever else. I think it is going away one day anyway, but hopefully it can be sustained for a good while longer.

Someone who really wants to race V8 powered, rear wheel drive cars will end up in a purpose built truck, Sportsman, Pro LM or something similar.

On the other hand…

Imagine how cool it would be if someone ran competitively in a 1950’s bodied Super Stock. The fans would eat it up, IMHO.

What needs to happen they need to come out with a chassis for the strictly stock , superstock /street stock class like they have now for the other classes. And just allow them to run after market bodies .you can still buy plenty of V-8’s and transmissions and rear ends . the chassis and the bodies is what became the problem.

Ironically, FWD boneman may be on to something with nostalgia bodies.

Let’s say we had, say, 55-57 Chevys, 55-57 Fords, 64 Chevelles & 64 Fairlane bodies produced just like the template cars.

Accurate representations, not “Classic” or similar renditions, but cars that look like real race cars from the 60s.

Spoilers and mods could be carefully watched to keep them from getting out of control.

On any chassis, from SLM on down.

Now, all we need are sanctioning bodies with a bunch of clout to guarantee a profitable sale of enough bodies to make it worthwhile for 5 Star or others.

Good idea, but there are so many good ideas not in use in the world-o-racing…

A class full of vintage looking cars is not what I had in mind (we already have that in Super Stock! :slight_smile: ) Instead, I was day-dreaming about a single car with a vintage body that competes with the modern ones. It would be a novelty if there was only one or two.

Clearly, your awareness is exceeded only by your brilliance!

You can google-image them up, they exist. But for the typical bux down lower class guy, early sheet metal is both heavy and expensive.

BUT, some of that stuff exists at American Auto Salvage in Debary.

Hudson, anyone…?

They already make some of them. Mostly for drag racing but I have looked at a few and it could be done. My dad wanted to do one for his sportsman a few years ago when they went to the no body rule. The problem is they are 4-5 grand for a body. Maybe Lightning Light could find a niche market by doing this. The sportsman could use them for sure.

I’ve always been surprised that no one has came out with a 56 Ford, or 57 Chevy, or a 65 Chevelle Super Late in Florida. It’s certainly possible to do, and would easily be the most popular car on the track.
A DARA 57 Chevy from North Carolina did run with either the Super Lates or Pro Lates at NSS years ago, i believe during Speedweeks. He had a lot of people cheering for him.

Ona Speedway ( or as they like to promote themselves-- the fastest blacktop track in west Virginia lol) has a vintage class powered by 6 cylinders I believe.They are coupe looking bodies like the legends only bigger.Don’t ask me where the bodies come from but they look like reproduction like the legends but bigger.I believe they are running modern day v6 power but not sure of that.I haven’t understood why their hasn’t been an upgrade bomber class using early 2000 taurus ,impala,intrepid mid 90s cutlass and regal gran Prix etc. V6 powered.Craigslist,junkyards,car lots and half the backyards around have these bodies sitting around and v6s are everywhere.

I was at BJ McClouds shop about 10 years ago and saw a 57 Chevy body out back. His father said it was a 3/4 scale fiberglass body for a mini cup series of some kind. I think he said it came from North Carolina.

Just about everything for a G body is reproduced and can be shipped to your door step without setting foot in a scrap yard or even leaving your house,more importantly relatively affordable too.Thats why they are raced at just about every track in the country and aren’t going away any time soon.

As far as mixing 4 cylinders with rear wheel V8,a 16 car field is a big increase in that class compared to 4 cars 2 years ago.It was also interesting to see that half the crowd stayed to watch compared to the stands completely clearing out in the past.

The bigger issue is why there were only 12 sportsman cars and 9 super late models?

My hunch is that many are still thrashing to get ready for 2017.

What happened to the series that used to run at Orlando speed world maybe 5/7 years ago was it called the Florida cracker series they had the old-style bodies like the legends but we’re full size cars . ran 305 engines I believe . Boneman I know you remember them.