Saldana Leaves the Park at Volusia

Unbeleivably lucky on so many fronts last night - Joey Saldana clips the right rear of the car in front of him coming out of two and launches/flips up and over the catch fence barrel rolling in front of and on top of the bleachers before hitting the tow truck boom. Amazing that he and nobody in the crowd was injured.
https://www.facebook.com/jyd2x/videos/10211783367882449/

Public Service Announcement:

The grandstands along the straights are the safest place to be. Actually, anywhere that the cars are moving past you and not at you.

Much like an asphalt car that blows a right front, when things go badly, cars and or parts “vector” forward in a straight line–directly from the point of the problem in a turn.

If you are in that path, it could be your forehead, or little Johnny’s, that takes the shrapnel.

I believe that there has recently been a private settlement between Daytona Speedway and a person that suffered just such an injury when K Larson had his serious accident a few years back.

Wait and see though, odds are that the grandstands in the vid will have more folks in them, not less, tonight.

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;173635]Public Service Announcement:

Wait and see though, odds are that the grandstands in the vid will have more folks in them, not less, tonight.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, and I have sat there many times wondering how safe it was - now we know. I swear i saw in the video where the car went over somebody without touching them. That is some divine intervention stuff there…

Tom Fenn going into the stands at New Smyrna around 1984-85… Incredibly nobody was hurt…

Clearly, there is an element of risk if you are at the track. Period.

I usually sit downstream of the flagstand so that the Turn 4 “issues” happen upstream from there, and because I like the perspective.

I gotta ask, though, where is the flagstand in relation to the NSS wreck?

When watching open wheel racers I do not look ahead until the last car has passed me.